1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'B' Mode revs engine way up, normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daveleeprius, Dec 4, 2006.

1. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was driving down a long hill around 40mph and decided to shift into B. When I did, the engine revved way up, it was kind of alarming because I don't remember it doing that before when I used 'B'. So I shifted back into Drive and the engine stayed revved up until finally at the bottom of the hill we came to a stop at a stoplight. So...should we not shift into 'B' unless we're going slow?

Dave

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally normal. Depends upon the speed you're traveling and the SOC of the battery.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Completely normal. in B mode, the car uses the natural resistance found in the engine to slow you down, essentially by having the wheels turn the ICE. That results in it revving up really high.

B mode should be used in long downhills, regardless of speed. In those types of downhills, you're worried about brakes heating up and being ruined, not to mention the fact that you're standing on the brake the entire time. B mode is there to help keep the brakes from heating up.

4. daveleeprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 4 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]357604[/snapback]</div>
    Cool, but I was under the impression that the brakes on the Prius weren't used until the car has slowed down to around 5mph? I thought light pressure on the brakes while going downhill would use the regen brake system only, with no heating up worries??

Dave

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Dec 4 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]357621[/snapback]</div>
    That's correct. I'm not sure what happens when the battery gets completely topped off and you're still applying brakes. I think it still uses the regen system and gets rid of the excess energy by spinning the ICE. Someone who knows for sure should confirm/correct this momentarily :)

6. daveleeprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Dec 4 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]357624[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds good, this may have been my situation. I am pretty sure that the battery was either full or one bar from full. Which begs a different question, my battery has never gone below 4 bars from full. That being said, I've yet to go on a long drive with the car (only have 520 miles!). I'm going to drive down to Portland this weekend, which is approx. 180 miles south on the freeway, so we'll see how the battery holds up!

Dave

7. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Dec 4 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]357638[/snapback]</div>
    You don't have any really long hills between Seattle and Portland, but if you were to head up I-90 to the summit, you could probably get it down to 3 bars. That depends how hard you push it though. Seattle has some good hills that should take the charge down on the way up the hills.

Dave M.

8. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Dec 4 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]357638[/snapback]</div>

Flooring it (especially going uphill), will suck down a lot of charge. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Dec 4 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]357624[/snapback]</div>

I can confirm that there is no regen once the battery is full. The ICE will spin faster to consume the excess energy.

There's a hill that I drive down at the beginning of my morning commute, and I fill the battery up. The SOC usually ramps up to 83% when I stop at the light at the bottom of the hill. As I'm stopped, I glance at CAN-view, and I see the ICE spinning at ~2.6k rpm, and the power consumption at 16A. After I turn, there is a quick stop, and I have to push the brake pedal down further to get any stopping action, and as I am stopping, the power consumption remains constant.

9. daveleeprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Dec 4 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]357752[/snapback]</div>
    Cool, thanks for your reply. I guess it's normal operation. I also used 'B' mode on an icy road the other day, with no high revs. I've also found, as other posters have, the Prius to be an excellent inclement weather car. And I don't have the VSC installed, and don't feel the need for it. Usually when it's icy, I don't drive.

Dave

10. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another way I've seen the battery level drop is extended stop-and-go crawling traffic. (Travel I-405 thru Bellevue at rush hour to see what I mean)

It seams the ICE doesn't kick in when you creep along until you get down to two bars on the battery.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Regenerative braking uses MG2 as a generator to slow the car. This produces electrical energy from the car's kinetic energy. But by conservation of energy, this energy has to go somewhere. Normally it goes to the battery. But when the battery is full, there is no longer any place to send it, and regenerative braking cannot continue.

At this point, stepping on the brakes engages the friction brakes.

To avoid, or reduce wear on the friction brakes at this point, the "B" gear uses engine compression to dissipate energy. It is possible that you did not hear the whine before because your battery was not yet full, and even the "B" mode was using some regeneration.

But the engine whine is normal in "B" mode and should cause no concern. And you should always use "B" any time you have a long, steep downhill. It will not harm the engine, and it will reduce wear and heat on the friction brakes.

12. maze

maze New Member

Speaking of 'B' mode vs. 'D' mode.

Is there any difference between the two when the gas is even lightly depressed?

I know the car behaves diferently if the gas pedal isn't pressed, one breaks quite a bit, the other quite a bit less... but what about while depressing the gas pedal? Is 'B' good for stop and go traffic where you don't feel like shifting your foot between brake and gas too often (sure try to maintain a constant low speed... not always possible though). Or is that bad practice?

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maze @ Dec 6 2006, 05:03 AM) [snapback]358357[/snapback]</div>
    As far as we've been able to determine there is no difference b/w D&B during active acceleration. But, I still would not recommend it during stop&go driving or any kind of 'normal' driving other than very long steep downhills. Once the ICE kicks in in B-mode it won't stop...IOW you can't go into an ICE off condition/stealth, etc....one of the main features of the prius that reduces fuel use and emissions. Further, you reduce your coasting distance and will need to use the ICE more to go the same distance. It's simply not a good idea at all.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The owners manual (i.e. Toyota and the people who designed the car) as well as all experienced Prius drivers all agree:

"B" mode is to reduce use of the friction brakes during long, steep downhill runs, and should not be used under any other conditions. "B" mode prevents the engine from shutting off, as it often wants to do in normal hybrid operation, and it dissipates deceleration energy as heat rather than recovering it back to the battery.

15. Qamar Fahim Khan

Qamar Fahim Khan New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently i visited hill station, here one of the track is very steep and rough, on uphill it was ok but on downhill i engaged b mode but still speed was way fast due to steep, my question is how to control speed on such steep hills, i miss first gear of manual in these hills, please help

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    b mode and braking are your only options. if you are forced to travel that route frequently, keep an eye on your brake pads

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Using your brake pedal will not engage the brake pads unless you are braking really hard. Using a combination of "B" and the brake pedal should be okay to control your speed for all but the steepest of declines. If it is so steep that your pads are engaged, then you really need to ask if the Prius is the right car for the job.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The brake pads engage much earlier than that. In a Prius, regenerative braking can supply only medium to light braking, depending on speed. Engine braking capacity is similar to regenerative braking. Beyond that, friction pads must supply all the rest.

Friction pad braking is also needed anytime rough or loose surfaces or potholes cause regenerative braking to cut out.
    That is a serious exaggeration.

#18 fuzzy1, Jun 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I used to think, too.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If doing regenerative braking stronger than that, then where is the power going? The battery can accept only so much.