1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

B-Quiet Sound-deadning material installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kazu88, Jun 20, 2005.

1. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

Hello, all.

Today, I used my lazy sunday afternoon to install "B-quiet" sound deadning material in my doors. It's a comparable product to dynamat, only b-quiet is much cheaper.

First, I got my 50 square feet of B-quiet ultimate. You can buy this from the "b-quiet" company website, but I went to ebay, which make it a little cheaper, $120 with shipping.

Taking apart the door was, at first, nerve wrecking; but now I figured out the sequence, I think I can do it in a few minutes now. I picked up the door removing tips from this forum. Thanks Tadashi & everyone else on those tips. Do a search on "removing door panel" then you are there.

In a nut shell, it's just a matter of
    1. removing two screws,
    2. Pulling on the door handle trims in the right directions
    3. Disconnect the wires to the door switches
    4. pulling and snapping off the plastic door shell.

I recommend starting it from the rear doors, as they are somewhat less complicated. I did lose some plastic grommets, but it's no big deal. Once you put the door back on, you can't tell that a few grommets are missing.

Anyhoo, B-quiet comes in a roll of aluminum foil-like material with rubbery foam, with glued side on the other with protective paper. Installation is simple, just cut them in pieces, remove the backing, and apply to the door (metal part). No heating needed, and no odor.

I was trying to do the installation with big pieces at once, but after a while, I figured that it's much easier to have multiple b-quiet pieces ready (about the size of my palm, or compact disc case) and apply them on top of each other with some over-lapping.

BTW, I did remove the vapor barrier (plastic covering) enough to go through the holes to apply the b-quiet everywhere inside the door frame. I definitely recommend going nuts & put a lot of material behind and around the speakers. It makes a huge difference in sound quality and rattle reduction (I did this installation with stereo on).

50 sq feet was more than enough material for the 4 doors. I did double to triple layer of b-quiet on the doors, again inside and outside of the door frame, and I still have a quarter roll left. I think I'm going to use it in the spare tire well underneath the trunk.

I'm not going to bother with roof & floor. The majority of the noise come from doors, and all the speakers are attached to the door anyway (well, except the center speaker.)

The result? A very happy prius owner. When I shut the door, it makes nice heavier "thudddd" sound. The stereo sounds great, as if I just added a sub woofer and upgraded the amp & speakers. The road noise from either side of the car is much less, as expected.

I definitely recommend this mod to pretty much everyone. It's pretty simple, takes only a few hours (once you figure out the door assembly), and improve both sound quality and incoming noise at the same time.

BTW, I also used a paint-on sound-deadening product called "quiet coat" on my previous car (Mini cooper), and the result was just as good. I prefer B-quiet cause it's cheaper, and less messy. I've got some black glue from b-quiet on my hands, but it washes off easy.

Kazu.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:fbea156846]Thanks, Kazu. This is inspiring. I gotta do this![/font:fbea156846]

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kazu88\";p=\"100022)</div>
    is this the same quiet spay that i posted about? if you say this works well, then i would rather do this. cheaper in a way.. i can do smaller parts at a time.

could you post more install pics? final door maybe? did you coast the inside of the door along with the face of the door where the speaker is?

4. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"100037)</div>
    I think the result is very similar, but B-quiet is cheaper... I think I ended up spending $200 or so on quiet coat on MINI, which is smaller than Prius, of course. With the quiet coat, you also have to wait for the paint to dry.

I'll try to take more pictures, maybe tommorow, and post on this thread.

I installed (sticked on) B-quiet on every metal surfaces... meaning a lot of reaching in those holes underneath the plastic covering, and placing these b-quiet squares everywhere, inside and outside. And then some more, just underneath the plastic covering. I doubled and tripled the layers, but the windows work fine... so far.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Which is lighter, the spray/paint or the b-quiet?

I ponder putting something anything in a car that increases the weight a bunch of pounds, and hence affects (slightly) the handling and the fuel efficiency.

For example, I knew someone that did the standard "lightening" of his Accord by dumping a lot of the heavy factory sound-insulation "padding" in his doors, and replaced it with a painted on product, of which I didn't catch the name. His lighter and more quiet car was impressive.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was curioius about the weight as well. How much do you estimate that the 3/4 roll of material you've used so far weighs? The weight of the whole 50 sq ft too?

The spray on option sounds interesting, but I'm thinking it might be a mess if someone ever needed to get in to those areas to fix something.

I also think I'd like some deadening in the floors (at least front, but prob. rear also), as road noise seems to be the biggest factor to me. I like the idea of getting the doors and around the speakers too though.

7. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"100086)</div>
    http://www.b-quiet.com/compare.html

0.35lb per sq feet x 50 = 17.5 lb. I think it's negligible amount to affect your mpg.

Again, the paint-on stuff is very comparable. I think they are more or less the same viscoelastic material... Of course, the paint-on stuff could be messy, and can't easily remove it once it cures. It all depends on what you like... I just like b quiet better.

The floor is really hard to get to. Someone posted here that the floor is actually pretty well insulated. My next project is to cover the trunk (spare tire well), and apply the left over underneath my all weather floor mat. It's not as effective, but it worked okay when I did with my previous car.

hope this helps... 8)

8. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I recently purchased two rolls of B-quiet ultimate (50 square feet each) and if I remember correctly, each roll was 16 lbs. I used 3/4 of a roll on my doors and truck area. So that's around 12 lbs. added in my case.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, not bad. I remember someone else having a full insulation job done way back in the early days of the '04 release and it seems like the weight was in the 150-200lb range...if memory serves. Thus why I asked.

That 17.5 lbs is really negligible.

10. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i wonder if this aftermarket sond proofing is better than stock material currently on the floor? if so.. then maybe stock material weighs more? take i out and replace with aftermarket product?

i should look how to take out the floor...

11. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"100118)</div>
    I used to do autocross (Solo2) racing with my mini cooper, so I know about this weight game.

If you are trying to shave a split second off your lap time, of course every lb counts, as well as the weight balance of the entire car. The common first step is to take out the spare and the jack, and everything in the trunk. Next you can start removing the rear seat, maybe the front passanger seat. Next step is to remove the linings/carpets of the interior. Why stop there? you can switch the hood with carbon hood, and take out the side view mirrors.
    :wink:

It's all tongue in cheek, of course. I can't imagine the 10-20lb added or saved here and there in Prius would change your mpg at all. Your milage is affected by so many different factors, ie. driving style, ambient temp, terrain, road selections, tire pressure, tire brand, tire wear etc etc.

For the same token, how much dynamat/b-quiet you want to use is up to you... but there is a trade off on weight/sound deadening. I believe there is a point of diminishing return as you start from the door --> trunk --> Floor --> Roof. As I mentioned, doors and the trunk, and some floor is enough for me. Doing the entire floor and roof is a LOT of work, for maybe a few additional db difference and possibly 100+ lb added.

Personally, I will soon switch out from the OEM tires to the triple treads/hydro edge as many posters here recommended. I agree that the OEM tires are very mediocre in performance and noisy.

FYI, I took out the trunk panel & placed the (left over) carpet I got from the home depot over the black plastic bin. So much more cargo room this way! 8)

12. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"100110)</div>
    FYI, both dynamat/b-quiet has different "grades" of materials. Original --> Extreme --> Ultimate etc. The more expensive, the thinner and more effective the material. I recommend going for the best ones (ie. b-quiet ultimate in my case).
    :mrgreen:

13. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you post any sound readings? I found a cheap sound meter at Radio Shack for $40.

14. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i've taken my prus in a Solo2 :)

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kazu88\";p=\"100143)</div>
    Since the Prius's hood is aluminum, aren't you partially already there? :)
    Could probably take out the rollup cargo cover too.

16. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"100161)</div>
    Okay... but you can't possibly compete in the H-stock class. That category is now completely owened by base mini coopers in the national & local competitions. :wink:

17. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi\";p=\"100153)</div>
    No, I'm too cheap :wink:

I think it's very similar to your modded prius, sans floor/roof noise-proofing.
    Your Dynamat extreme is comparable to my b-quiet ultimate.

18. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kazu88\";p=\"100185)</div>
    Okay... but you can't possibly compete in the H-stock class. That category is now completely owened by base mini coopers in the national & local competitions. :wink:
    [/b][/quote]

i wasn't much of a competitor anyways :) plus.. stock wheels on? lol.. maybe with my 17's... i could beat out a few of the cars i almost died with ( not bad for a 1st time ever doing autocrossing) lol

19. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

more pictures!

20. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

yet more pictures of my prius. The buddha keeps me calm in LA traffic.