1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"B" Temperature Rating on Dunlop SP10, Okay?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by cb474, Oct 10, 2010.

1. cb474

cb474 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just reading up about replacement tires for a 2003 Prius. Not wanting to get into fussing with tire pressure with non-standard tires, I basically choosing between the two OEM tires, the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 and the Dunlop SP10.

I noticed the Dunlops get a "B" temperature rating, compared to an "A" for the Bridgestones. Should I be concerned about this? I am in an area that gets a fair amount of hot (over 90 degree) weather. Could the lower temperature rating be an issue for driving on the freeway on hot days?

That aside, I also read in another couple year old thread someone saying the Dunlops have been discontinued, although I still see them for sale at Tire Rack. Should I assume any Dunlops for sale have been sitting on the shelf for a long time?

Thanks for any help.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have had a personal policy for many years of ONLY buying tires with an "A" temperature rating. Anything lower is (IMHO) unsafe at highway speeds in hot weather.

JeffD

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dunlop SP10 is still shown on the Dunlop website so I assume it remains in production:
    Dunlop Tires - Find The Right Tire - Tire Specifications=

Temperature rating A is better than B. However tires with temp ratings of C can be sold. I used SP10 tires in the past when I owned my 2001. They are about the same as the RE92 tires in terms of handling and tread life.