1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

B1271 DTC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harryarcos, Jul 7, 2021.

1. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this intermittent fault code (Communication between meter ECU & Gateway stops for more than 10 seconds) and the testing begins with "Check that the indicator (READY) on the combination meter illuminates when the hybrid vehicle control system is operating (Power switch ON (READY). If OK then "Replace combination meter Assy". Is that all there is to it?

I am thinking that it could be something to do with the soldering as it only happens when the car has been stood in the sun - not that often in the UK over the past few weeks. There are a lot of posts regarding the CM and faults with the original, but the guide by Texas Hybrid Batteries to tell the difference between old or new does not apply in the UK because the RND on RHD vehicles was originally on the left side, so not sure whether or not it is original.

Has anyone else had this fault code and been able to find a fix? Any help much appreciated.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The original problem with the CM is a marginal capacitor that degrades and causes the CM to not power on correctly. If that happens it could throw a communications error code. Don't think that RHD vs LHD matters for this. Did you have any repairs done to the CM?

So, do you ever have a situation where you attempt to "ready" the car, but the speedometer (and most of the warning lights) don't come on?

As far as Toyota is concerned, replacement is the only option (but that can be quite expensive). Again, if it is a bad capacitor in the CM, then removing the assembly for repair is an option. A number of people on the forum have done it themselves.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. I have never had any problem with the display on the CM. It is only in the past couple of months that the red triangle along with VSC and brake system warning light occasionally appears when starting the car - I have raised this issue in another topic, but the B1271 seems to be relevant to the CM and is the only DTC which is now both current and historic.

As far as I know, there have not been any repairs to the CM, but the car was about 10 years old when I bought it with 38K miles on the clock.