1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

B1423 faulty sensor?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Carsten, Jul 12, 2024 at 3:55 PM.

1. Carsten

Carsten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

Bought this car, 2017 Prius Two, used a year ago and the AC never worked. Recently discovered that the hard line to the condenser had been disconnected. Reconnected it and was able to hold a vacuum for 24 hours. Also discovered that the wiring had been disconnected from the AC pressure sensor

Was getting B1423 before and after re-connection of sensor. A mechanic told me that the code shouldn't come back once the sensor was re-connected. But the code reads "open in pressure sensor circuit/abnormal refrigerant pressure" so wouldn't this just be indicating there was no pressure in the system which there isn't, right?

I've been trying to find a replacement and most of what I find doesn't match what I have, 1st image Denso 499000-8880. The Toyota part # is 88719-47010 when I search that most of what I find (Oreillys, Napa) resembles the 2nd image with a much wider wiring connector. Anyone experience this?

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right.

Carsten likes this.
  3. Carsten

Carsten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks

Any way to test the sensor?
    Just to be sure

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Connect a scan tool that can show live data, and view the pressure sensor reading.

Attach a manifold gauge to the high-side port and compare the reading on the gauge to the reading from the sensor.

5. Carsten

Carsten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome, thank you!!!

6. Carsten

Carsten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, so I did as you said, i have the Autel Maxi AP200 scanner. The only thing that looked right was "regulator pressure sensor" which gave a live reading of -.67Kpa which is almost no psi. The manifold gauge basically read zero, the needle showed no sign of movement when I opened the valve, it's an Autozone rental.

Seems like assuming the regular pressure sensor is the right sensor (hadn't heard it called that yet), the fact that it's giving me a reading, and of the expected value, would indicate it is functioning.

Attached Files:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's how it seems to me too.

8. Carsten

Carsten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I really appreciate your help on this

9. Carsten

Carsten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, so I thought I'd go a little further with testing, I put the system under vacuum and the live reading didn't change at all. The reading on my app was odd though, it seemed that the range of measurement was nil. Makes me wonder is it the app or can it not read that far negative?

Attached Files:

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I suspect you are looking at the low-limit reading. There is no operational need for a sensor that can return a pressure reading that low, so they wouldn't have spent the money to include one.

11. Carsten

Carsten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, kinda figured