1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Baby #2 on the way. I want a hybrid minivan made by Toyota.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slortz, Nov 7, 2004.

1. slortz

slortz New Member

I've been thinking about sending a letter to Toyota inquiring about the possibility of a hybrid minivan. I suppose it is not too far off if I had to guess but I really like to get a good estimate because I would be willing to wait up to a year for one from Toyota. I've got the second child coming next month and a vehicle larger than my Prius is on the horizon.
    I've seen that Hyundai or Daihatsu is coming out with a hybrid minivan but I'd rather buy a Toyota.
    To me, making a hybrid minivan makes more sense than a hybrid SUV like the RX400h if you're looking to use hybrid fuel economy as a big selling point. Granted, it sounds like there are a lot of pre-orders for the RX400h but I'm curious about why buyers are going for this vehicle. Is it because they are going to save a couple hundred dollars a year on gas compared to the regular version or is it because the hybrid version is more powerful? It seems odd to me that someone looking at buying a $50,000 luxury car would be worrying a great deal about fuel savings.
    That said, I suppose I'd like to hear what others think about the idea of a hybrid minivan versus a hybrid SUV--what you think has a bigger potential market, what would sell you personally on one choice over the other, etc.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Baby #2 on the way. I want a hybrid minivan made by Toyo

Well Toyota already have the Estima Hybrid and Alphard Hybrid (minivan and quasi-minivan or MPVs) in Japan. It's only a matter of time til they bring it over or install the HSD with the Sienna's 3.3 litre V6.... shouldn't be hard since they already did with the the Highlander/RX330 which use the same engine.

3. slortz

slortz New Member

Ask and you shall receive...or at least do more internet searching. I just saw it after doing an MSN search. For some reason my Google search yesterday only yielded the Hyundai and Daihatsu minivan hybrids.
    There's info right on the Toyota website:
    http://www.carsontoyota.com/html/estima/estima4.html

Thanks for the quick response, Tideland, but I'd also like to know what your answer would be if you were in the market for a "family-sized" vehicle, all things considered, would you prefer a hybrid SUV or a hybrid minivan?

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe this is a daft question, but in what way is the Prius not big enough for 2 young children? It's a large family car.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Depends on my needs and wants. I would think a minivan is easily to load up the kids because of the sliding doors (power available). Snapping on a child seat would probably be easier. I wouldn't know, I'm only 19 :p

My guess is that Toyota will probably have the same power output for the Sienna Hybrid if it ever decides to make one so power wouldn't be an issue. If we leave the hybrid out of the equation. Would you take the Sienna or the Highlander V6 at the moment? Here in Canada, a fully loaded Highlander Limited 7-Pass is $46,500 while a Sienna XLE FWD is $44,600. I would gladly take the Sienna with more features, better fuel economy and at a lower price.

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm hoping Toyota brings over the mini van that had the pics posted here about a month or so ago. They look like they would be equal to the short wheel base Caravan? I hope Toyota can keep the price reasonable like the Prius. Nowadays you can get a short Caravan pretty cheap but the Highlander and other SUV has a crazy astonomical price.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    two kids. add hubby and the dog and the Prius will still do the job but it will be cramped and many people simply wont put up with that.

i think a hybrid mini van is way past due here. i also believe that it will be received very well.

9. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I heard from a corporate Toyota rep at a Hybrid workshop my local dealer held that Toyota plans on releasing the Camry in hybrid form and then the Sienna. It was a while ago but I think he said it would be 2007 when the Sienna comes out.

Justin

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, the Camry will be next in 2007. It seems sensible since they will launch the redesigned Camry in 2007 (If they follow the 5-yr rule). As for the Sienna, I hope so. That'll be when the Sienna gets a mid-cycle upgrade.

11. GaryD

GaryD New Member

I would love to see a hybrid Sienna in the next few years, about the time we need to replace our 2002 Honda Odyssey. We load the 3 kids and the dog in our Prius for local trips but it is a bit too small for anything longer than a weekend trip with 5 people, a dog, and associated luggage.

Minvans get a bad rap for "image" issues, but they are much more practical that most SUVs. Ease of entry for kids via sliding doors (especially when dealing with car seats), the ability to physically separate kids into their own spaces, true 7 passenger capacity (not little jumpseats in the back), as much cargo room as a pickup truck, etc - I could go on and on. My only complaint about my Odessey is the 17-19 mpg I get in city driving. I think minivans and hybrid technology would be a great fit.

12. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gary i agree with you 100% about minivans being more useful than suv. We've had mini vans since 1985. Our latest is a Chevy Ventue which i think is tops in mpg. gets 26 for most of our driving and when we take trips it still gets 26 which is weird but true.

13. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    KMO, once again I agre with you. People have this bad habit: nothing is ever enough. We all have lived in one room apartments(flats) during ten age or school/college or when we started living with a girl/boyfriend etc. Then we did fine, however our stuff and "needs" grow, we buy a small house and feel we have so much space. In a few years, we get bmore things and feel we need a bigger house... The same applies to cars. People in Europe and the rest of the world outside of North America(US, Canada and Mexico) all have families, children, pets etc BUT, seem to do fine with much smaller cars due to habits, common sense etc( high fuel prices). How did people manage in NA before SUVs and minivans??

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Station Wagons (known as Estate Cars in the UK).

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Must be a small dog!

I think SUVs appeal to people who like trucks. They are higher off the ground, probably 4x4 and except for the large and supersized (and even some of those) are 5 passenger vehicles. For my money 4x4 is unnecessary for almost everyone. Very few are taken off decent (even decent gravel) roads. One benefit is better traction from a start in snow or ice but being gentle on the acellerator with decent tires has always worked for my FWDs. Probably better pulling a boat out of the water on a ramp if you have to get all 4 wheels in. I expect they are better moving uphill in snow as well but I've never hit one in *MY* driving I couldn't get up in my FWDs. I'm sure it depends where you live. There are also as many or more 4x4s off the road in snow conditions. People seem to think they have more grip at speed than they really do. Its a go anywhere 4x4 after all, right? They also flip more easily since they are high for their width. If you need to tow big loads though, the bigger SUVs will pull more than the bigger minivans. I don't know what towing capacity a hybrid Sienna compared to a hybrid Highlander will be, depends on how they build them.

Minivans are seen as un-manly 'Mommy-mobiles". They are high enough off the ground for most everyone's needs but the kids can still get in without a step, seat at least 6 (maybe 7 now?) and 7 or 8 is common. Fewer come as 4x4s or AWD though. For my money (again), they are more versatile, especially since many now have fold into the floor 3rd seats first introduced by Honda in '95. They get much better mileage than SUVs that can carry the same # of people. The newer ones have easy, flexible seating for 2 to 7 or 8 in any combination. I haven't researched, but at least some can take 4x8 sheets of plywood flat inside with the 2nd and 3rd row seats out/down.

I treated my '95 Odyssey as a utility vehicle, it wasn't sporty though. :) Drive 6 people wherever, get 8' lumber even with 4 people in it, 10' & 12' rough lumber by removing the shotgun seat. It was the only seat that needed tools to remove. I could even have a passenger behind me if I needed to. It was very convenient for toting around the portable crib and other baby junk but I expect we would have managed without them if we needed to. ;-) It was, BTW, the 'most car-like of minivans', a fair bit smaller than the current generation. I can get more stuff in the Prius with the max 5 people than I could with the Odyssey carrying its max of 6. I think the usable cargo space I would have in the Odyssey if I took out 1 center row seat, thus making it a 5 passenger car would be similar to the Prius or slightly more. With only 4 people, the Odyssey wins hands down.

My $.04

16. Joel

Joel New Member

The Highlander is very mini-van like, IMHO :D

17. GaryD

GaryD New Member

The dog is about 35 pounds and is reasonably happy sitting at the kids' feet.

As a result, the auto companies make millions selling people bigger vehicles than they need and the oil companies make even more selling them fuel. Too bad the average consumer is so insecure.

The newer Odyssey is quite a bit larger. The cargo area behind the third seat is huge - in part because it includes the space the seat folds into. The cargo area of the Prius is tiny by comparison. As I said, the Prius has enough space for 5 and weekend luggage, but for longer trips or trips with more stuff (sports equipment, camping gear, etc), I think we would need a roof rack.

18. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to a local newspaper in Japan, following is a list of Toyota production planning...

2005 Lexus RX, Highlander
    2006 Camry, Lexus ES
    2007 Lexus LS
    2008 Corolla

Total 500,000 hybrid vehicles will be produced in 2008.
    Total 1,000,000 hybrid vehicles will be produced in 2010.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

19. Dilbert

Dilbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would really like to see a Sienna mini-van, and they better hurry because my Windstar is getting old. We have two kids, but we often carry other kids and when we have out of town relatives fly in, the mini-van is a must.

20. Dilbert

Dilbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sienna Hybrid that is!