1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

baby car seats center latch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cestalisy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. cestalisy

cestalisy New Member

Hi all,
    I have been using my infant seat rear facing latched in the center using the latches that are for the side seats. Just read that perhaps that is dangerous as in a serious accident the latches from side might split apart a center positioned car seat. Does that make any sense to you all? I read of a woman being told that by a police officer but I have not heard it first-hand. I am now considering a Britax convertible seat and would like to know if I should just use the belts to keep it positioned in the center. By the way, has anyone ever tried to use one of the larger Britax convertible seats in the Prius like the Marathon or the Decathalon? They have better side impact protection and you can keep your child rear facing much longer which is considered much safer than forward facing. However, I imagine you might need a pretty big car to use them. Would appreciate any feedback!!

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The manual seems to indicate that there are only two positions to use the "child restraint lower anchorages" ... right and left (see page 101 - 102). I know in my daughter's infant car seat instructions, they said to locate the seat as per the vehicle's owner's manual.

If the car seat has an option for the "3 point type" (top strap and seatbelt), you can use that in the center (see page 89 in the manual).

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cestalisy @ Feb 4 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]385118[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you read that? I'm curious to see whether there's anyting to that.

As for splitting a car seat, I think that would require tremendous force. Both you and the child would probably suffer extreme injuries from such a sudden deceleration. Though the seat belts keep you in the seat, the sudden stop can kill you anyway from internal injuries. I suspect that with that severe an accident the seat integrity becomes a moot point.

4. cestalisy

cestalisy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 4 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]385195[/snapback]</div>

Thank you for the info, I will check the manual and see if I can install the convertible in the middle seat. Won't be taking it in and out so using the belts would not be a problem hopefully.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Feb 4 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]385313[/snapback]</div>
    You might be right about that, I need to check into it more. Just a bit of a nervous Nellie about anything to do with my 6-month-old. I read that info about splitting the car seat into pieces on a site where I was car seat shopping, maybe Babyproducts.com? Not sure. Thanks for answering my post and take care..

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why not just use the center position seatbelt to secure the chlid seat?

LATCH was created to make it easier for the average person to properly position and secure a child seat. But it's not any stronger or safer than a child seat that is properly secured with a seatbelt. Seatbelts are actually stronger than LATCH - they don't have a 48lb limit like LATCH.

6. member

member New Member

I have avoided LATCH in every car I've put our child seats in, in favor of the old fashioned 3-point belt + tethers. LATCH has had some problems, but I've never heard of a 3-point belt causing problems. I put my full 100kg of weight on the seat when setting the belt so I know it's snug.

7. dylandog

dylandog New Member

I would recommend a Britax convertible in the center, using the center seat belt. I use a Roundabout in my Prius (but behind the driver's seat - I have an 8 y.o in the center and a 6 y.o in a booster). The rear is pretty roomy - I would stop by a Babies R Us or any other kids' shop and try a Decathalon in the car before buying it though.
    I tried putting a Decathalon in my Rover last year (rearfacing) and it was a no go. The distance between the front seats and the rear seat was too narrow, I couldn't get the car seat in the right reclined position. The passenger space is much better in the Prius. And once you get that seat wrenched in there right... there's no more worries.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Feb 4 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]385398[/snapback]</div>
    I've looked for and used the LATCH in every car I've put our 3 children in. I've never heard a legitimate story of LATCH causing problems and getting the seat as solidly set w/ a 3-point belt is just not possible compared to LATCH. Also, it inevitably ends up somewhat crooked.

I'd love to see any factual research showing a 3-point system being superior or more secure than LATCH...I don't think it exists. Annecdotes don't count b/c there are too many variables.

9. christy1246

christy1246 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid