1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

baby pictures

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ramarren, Aug 18, 2006.

1. ramarren

ramarren New Member

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice ride!! ;)

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't scare me like that! I saw a thread titled 'baby pictures' with Rancid13's name on it, and this is way too soon! How are you doing, Jennifer? Is he doing laps yet?

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

5. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the little rainbow sticker :lol: I wasn't that brave, I just have an HRC sticker on mine.

6. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    All of the new babies are always beautiful. Now you need a Wee Pri to go along with it.

7. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Aug 18 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]305560[/snapback]</div>
    It's a personal decision. Just having the HRC sticker shows courage... :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pirateprius @ Aug 18 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]305604[/snapback]</div>
    The local Toyota dealer had Prius 1/34th scale models in my color ... of course, I have one now. ;-)

Godfrey

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh! I saw the wheels of another car reflected in the side and my brain immediately translated those into dents. I felt bad for you for a second, but took a second and realized that's it's just really shiny, not dented :D

Nice shots. I do a lot of graphics work, so I have to ask, is the depth of field faked on that last shot? ;)

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have also posted baby pictures! Look at the pictures at Wolf Creek. That was the day I picked up Belle. If Wolf Creek Montana seems familiar to you may have seen "A River Runs Through It" or better yet you have read the book! This is the URL http://web.mac.com/drygasfamily/iWeb/Site/...20Pictures.html

10. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 18 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]305649[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the same thing - the background should get progressively less sharp the further away. I think the tip of the antenna got blurred.

Still - nice effect - your Prius really stands out and looks great!

11. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 18 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]305649[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! There are no dents or dings as yet, just optical effects. You can see me wearing my orange Crocs in the reflection in the middle image.

The shot was taken with a small-sensor digital camera so everything was in razor focus from near to far in all of them. I did a somewhat extreme amount of blur in the bottom-most, and a somewhat lighter amount in the middle one.

Just for fun, of course. Normally I don't do any such manipulation in my photographs. These are snapshots to send family and friends... :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 18 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]305652[/snapback]</div>
    Couldn't find your photos through the main line ... page comes up as "not found". But I meandered through them in your signature lines.

They're such cool cars... :)

Godfrey

12. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not to sidetrack the discussion of how much we love our pretty new cars, but I don't think there's any reason that you can't be a photo purist and extensively doctor your photos at the same time. In my view, any of the simplest darkroom processes is already a significant change from what's captured on film, so I have no problem extending the same philosophy to digital images.

I wasn't passing judgment on your photo edit, but I was pretty sure I could see your blur kernel, and might recommend using a different filter, a gaussian blur, or doing it in stages to mask the kernel. I'm a big fan of exaggerated depth of field, and when you have a camera that just can't give it to you, sometimes you have to fake it!

13. ramarren

ramarren New Member

No need to worry about sidetracking ... the thread will go where it goes... :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 19 2006, 08:48 AM) [snapback]305845[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you 100% in that regard. Processing is processing ... the end product of pictorial photography is what it is. Unless, of course, you're trying to present the photo as representing evidence or documentary. Then you must be careful how you edit so as not to change the value of what you're presenting as fact.

:) Way too much thought for what I did here. I just hit them with a bit of blur to quiet down the overly sharp backgrounds. These are snapshots, to me anyway. ;-)

I use blurs and sharpening in my 'real' work extensively, but carefully. My goal in that work is to not be entirely documentarian although I tend not to do the more extensive compositing/manipulation that is fairly popular in manipulated work today. My work is pictorial and symbolic, I like the look of good traditional photography, so I'm careful about what and how much manipulation I do.

The good news is that 'it is what you make it' and today's tools allow great flexibility in making photographs of a very broad nature.

Godfrey

14. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I try to take snapshots somtimes, but I always feel like a jerk doing it and end up putting too much thought into all of them :D

Regarding documentary, some patently unethical manipulation happens in news and documentary footage. It's a nice ideal to present factual events through photo/video, but very often someone wants to editorialize in a way that seems to retain the factual content, but really puts a troubling spin on the image. Just a blur or color correction can be enough to change an image from benign to sinister.

I do work in film/video/animation/fx where manipulation and compositing is the rule, not the exception, so I am admittedly biased in favor of those practices. Even so, traditional skills are still 100% essential to the modern pro since your image is still only as good as the [digital] negative. There's a little more that you can get away with now, but not that much.

I'm a little bit ranty about this right now because I just went to Siggraph a couple weeks ago, and I'm always blindsided by all the stupid research papers that seem to be attempting to do away with the need for artistic judment/intervention in digital imaging. There were certainly some very cool new tools and techniques presented, but I'm talking about things like this:

One paper propsed a method to tone map a snapshot image based on input from a "master" photograph. Their example: input your crap picture, and an Ansel Adams photograph: Voila! The computer analyzes the use of tonal range in the Adams picture and, through a series of digital acrobatics, your image receives the same quality of tonal range. They didn't take into account a couple things though: 1. composition (fairly imporant, I would say) 2. subject matter, e.g. they used an Adams photgraph of snowy mountains and tried to apply the same tone mapping to a desert scene, the result of which was awful looking because the desert scene ended up with a lof of bright white (due to the comparison with snow) where it really shouldn't have had it.

I could rant for ages. But I won't ;)

15. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 19 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]305949[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! I know what you mean. I spent 20+ years in the computing industry and often times I left such forums just shaking my head. ;-)

I gave up on SIGGRAPH a while ago, although some of the papers are interesting intellectually.
    But I'm more concerned with photograph and art. I read Lenswork magazine instead ...

Godfrey
    http://www.gdgphoto.com/