1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back on my diet

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Mar 20, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I began my diet, I promised to keep folks here informed of my progress, and to post weekly weighings, not so much because I thought everyone was eager to know my personal trivia, as to shame myself into sticking with it.

After my heart operation, and the severe damage done to my prostate by the improperly-inserted catheter, I was unable to resume the diet. I had a lot of pain, and a lot of distress over the uncertainty about the outcome.

A week ago I had a prostate operation (a TURP) (this was a month after the heart operation) and I've had some bad pain (normal, under the circumstances) and was unable, until now, to control my eating.

But now things are settling down. The pain is much diminished. And today I resumed my diet, and with that I will resume posting weekly weighings.

This morning I weighed 147 1/2 lbs, which is 3 1/3 over what I was just before the heart operation. My new estimate is to reach my goal around mid-to-late June, which is still ahead of summer hiking season.

It will be hard, as I am not allowed to exercise for three more weeks. But I am determined to carry this off.

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You went sky diving with all this!! :eek:

I am glad you are feeling better now. Rest well. :)

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 20 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]409323[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, my CAT weighed more than 147 pounds, and he was a small cat. Well, OK, maybe he weighed something under 147 pounds but his daily output of shedded cat hair I could've sold by the ton for ship ballast.

At 147 pounds most lifeforms have to grab things when outside to keep the breeze from carrying them away. What on earth are you on a diet for? You drop below 147 pounds and nobody will be able to SEE you when you turn sideways. In fact, I think the threshhold for needing a parachute is 140 pounds - below that weight you just spread out your arms and emulate Sister Bertrille.

Well, I wish you well on your way to your target weight - and wish you general all round recovery!

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    147 seems pretty light. How much weight do you need to lose?

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

The last time I weighed 147, we had a crazy president named Bush, we were fighting a war in Iraq,...hey, how come I don't weigh 147 pounds again? :angry:

6. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Daniel --

It sounds like you have had quite an ordeal! I'm glad things are getting beck to normal.

Since November 15, when my doctor told me she thought I had had a ministroke, my ways have changed dramatically. I've lost 36 pounds -- I eat so healthy it's rediculous! Also, for the first time in my life, I'm drinking water.

The biggest change, however, is exercise. I've found an in-home walking program that combines walking, serious aerobics, and strength training. I'm up to 10 miles a day!

Oh yeah, and I now take vtamins, calcium, and fish oil. Nobody who knows me can believe all the changes I've made. And this is the first time in my life that I have truly taken care of myself, and I'll have to say, it feels good.

I hope your progress continues. I'll be weight loss will be a snap compared to what you've been through!

Peace --

Daniel --

It sounds like you have had quite an ordeal! I'm glad things are getting beck to normal.

Since November 15, when my doctor told me she thought I had had a ministroke, my ways have changed dramatically. I've lost 36 pounds -- I eat so healthy it's rediculous! Also, for the first time in my life, I'm drinking water.

The biggest change, however, is exercise. I've found an in-home walking program that combines walking, serious aerobics, and strength training. I'm up to 10 miles a day!

Oh yeah, and I now take vtamins, calcium, and fish oil. Nobody who knows me can believe all the changes I've made. And this is the first time in my life that I have truly taken care of myself, and I'll have to say, it feels good.

I hope your progress continues. I'll be weight loss will be a snap compared to what you've been through!

Peace --

Daniel --

Peace --

7. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel,
    Glad to hear you're back at it. Although I don't know how you are able to cope without exercising. My doctor said no exercise for a week after my recent (minor) surgery, and I almost went nuts. I also cheated. I started "walking" on the treadmill, only to quit 45 minutes later after having gone three miles and 1000 foot climb.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Mar 20 2007, 07:53 PM) [snapback]409342[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that was before the surgeries. And I was still actually pretty healthy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 20 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]409348[/snapback]</div>
    I don't believe your cat shed 147 lbs of cat hair in anything less than a week. :D Mine took at least two weeks to shed that much. And he only weighed 15 lbs.

I want a Bengal tiger. I think they can weigh 500 lbs. I'd train him to eat rottweilers and dobermans and pit bulls and those small yappy dogs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 20 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]409348[/snapback]</div>
    I'm 5' 6.5" tall and thin-boned. Back before all this BMI nonsense, when weight tables recognized that bone structure is relevant, and before they added 10% to all the recommended weights because Americans are so obese that nobody will even try for a healthy weight, the recommended weight for my height was 135 lbs. But as a jogger, with relatively little muscle mass, 130 lbs was the weight where I felt good. And at that, I was not as thin as the guys who won the local foot races. More muscle would be healthier, but at my age you just don't bulk, no matter what you do.

I'm not fat, but I have a pot belly. And I can feel it on my knees when I'm carrying the extra 15 lbs.

Americans are so fat, that when we look at a person who is obese, we think he is "normal," and you have to be grossly obese before anyone thinks you're overweight. But it's not healthy. I have a family history of heart disease, and genetically high cholesterol. Keeping my weight down is critical for me.

And it's a lot easier to go tramping up and down those steep mountain trails at 130 than it is at 150.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave @ Mar 20 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]409376[/snapback]</div>
    That part is hell. I went to the mall to shop for slippers yesterday, just to have an excuse to walk a bit when I was not supposed to "exercise." In a week I'm allowed to walk, and I'll give the treadmill a slight incline. I'll work up gradually to my standard one hour at 3 mph and a 12% grade. They want me to wait a month before jogging. That's three weeks from now. But I'll probably cheat a bit. Still, I have to be careful not to damage the prostate.

Marge: What you've accomplished is fantastic! Keep it up!

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    man... you don't weigh much more than i do! but i can understand finding a weight that feels right and wanting to stick with it. DH is down to his pre-sleep apnea weight and feels so good about himself he's now going for the extra few lbs he was carrying around before all that started. he tells me the same thing, it's about feeling comfortable.

i agree that bmi doesn't account for everything and shouldn't be used as the end-all, be-all of health measurement. unfortunately, people want a definitive number and they pick that...

i wish you all the best in recovering from your surgeries and in your diet plan.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep up the good work, Daniel! Diet and exercise will keep you strong and healthy.

Yeah, weight by itself is a pretty meaningless number. Most people are simply too short for their weight, is all. I'd happily trade the extra 5 pounds of insulation on my tummy for another 20 pounds of muscle on my thighs.

11. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 20 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]409348[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: I weigh 105. :unsure:
    Does this mean you cannot see me when I turn sideways? Or can you see me at all?

12. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Mar 21 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]409725[/snapback]</div>
    Who said that? It sounded like someone said something, but I don't see anyone.

13. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Mar 21 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]409729[/snapback]</div>
    Eh.. here. Over here.

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Holy Shite. I weigh close to DOUBLE what you weigh, over 285. People are always shocked to hear it, they figure I weigh about 220.

I am 6'5", and am my heart, cholesterol, blood pressure and ability to exercise are all quite good. I am renewing my triathlon training soon (see leg pain thread for more info) and I hope to get down to a very healthy 235 pounds by the end of the year.

I can't imagine 147, going to 130.

Hey, at least you fit in the Tesla.

Nate

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Daniel, I get what you're saying about your weight not being "right" for your body, even as doctors, and others, may advise you that you're underweight. I'm consistently at 118 lbs. I'm almost 5' 8" and my doctors used to advise me that I'm below the normal range for my height (for some reason they don't inflict this on me now). If I gained the weight that they advised me to, my tuckus would be enormous. I exercise at least three times per week to ensure a nice body proportion and to keep the suggested weight off! I'd rather have an athletic build than a fat tushy! If this added fat could be relocated upwards to my chest area, then maybe I'd be keen on getting fatter. But without such luck..........

Anyway, I did have the opportunity to see your pictures and you do seem to be of a healthy weight range to me. You look like you're in great shape, fyi. But I understand how personal preferences can be different than what others may perceive so here's to hoping that you can find your comfort range once again! Good health to you too!

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 21 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]409854[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: i know that feeling :lol:

i was "underweight" until i moved south and started grad school. i felt fine, just got irritated with folks asking me if i was anorexic all the time. i feel just fine about myself now too, even though i'm not as tiny as i once was. the purpose of changing one's body should be to become more comfortable with it if health is not a direct issue.

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 21 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]409902[/snapback]</div>
    It's funny, I was thinking of you as I wrote that and I was going to ad that I wondered if you would consider changing professions from pharmacology to the study of fat redistribution. I could be your test subject and you could become a millionaire. Dear DH could retire - no more back pain and long hours. There HAS to be a way to keep the fat coagulated in the area in which one "needs" it most!! What about those mesh type thingys around which collagen can form?

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 21 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]409854[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but my doctors have never told me I was underweight! When I weighed 130 my doctor was delighted with my weight and overall health. And, when I was 130, even my friends never told me I was underweight.

What happens is that when I gain weight I put it all on my belly, and I wear loose clothing so it doesn't show, so that when I weigh 145 or 150 and I tell people I'm trying to lose weight they always make faces and tell me I'm unbalanced to want to lose weight, because the fat does not show. All they see are my thin face and arms, and in summer shorts, my jogger's legs.

The weight I need to lose (about 15 lbs now) is the pot belly that nobody sees, and that you don't see in any of my pictures.

Then some people say things like, "Oh, 15 lbs is nothing. You shouldn't worry about 15 lbs. Why, I'm 25 lbs over, and look at me: I'm not worried." As if I should let my health go just because they do! 15 lbs is not a serious health issue, but if you gain 5 lbs a year you'll be 100 lbs overweight in 20 years, and I don't want to be 100 lbs overweight. At 50 lbs overweight I'd have to give up everything I enjoy doing: jogging and mountain hiking.

So I began my diet when I was 25 lbs overweight, lost ten before my operations, and now I'm going to lose the other 15. I'll tell you what: In Fargo I used to work out at the YMCA, and nobody in the locker room ever told me I was skinny, because that's where they saw my pot belly. But it's gonna be gone before I go to Canada for hiking this summer.

19. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    daniel, I wish I had your problem!

I weigh 265 and am 6 feet tall, broad shouldered: I am obese (especially in Minneapolis - home to the most health nuts and spinly boney bodies west of the rockies). My fat is spread pretty evenly around though and most people can't believe how much I weigh. I don't see myself as so unhealthy either - my cholestoral is good, I walk nearly 2 miles a day or bike 6 miles a day during my commute, stand 60% of the day at work, and I eat fairly decently (though too much). Anyways, all I want to do is get back to 240 even though most people would still view me as overweight - the bottom line is that I felt really good at 240, all of my clothes fit at 240, and I like the cushoning.

20. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 21 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]409902[/snapback]</div>

Sounds like you discovered good home-cooked Southern food!

Peace --