1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back seat air conditioning

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by xray22, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. xray22

xray22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Climate control has the option of preventing a/c from reaching the back seat, but there are no back seat a/c vents and in fact even with this option turned off no a/c reaches the back seat.

Am I missing something here?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    aren't they under the seats?

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are vents under there. I haven't tested them for AC output. Maybe I'll go do that.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The vents under the seat are active only when a floor-directed output choice is chosen. Otherwise, they don't work regardless of eco or S-Flow mode.

5. xray22

xray22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you test them with a/c (not just heat or fan). Seems strange to have a/c vents on the floor (hot air rises). Also strange that to have a/c throughout the car one has to have all the air floor directed.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes.

The vents in front do reach the back, depending on where you point them.

7. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It also works on split floor and upper vents. But the back has only floor vents. It works with A/C, heat and fans. But you have to turn off driver only venting.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be complicated to separate heat from a/c, i think. and more expensive to put vents in the ceiling.

9. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On my '16 Prius, I have a LITTLE air coming out of those under-seat vents. I always use the high/low setting, and always turn off that S-Flow gadget. Hopefully, a bit of cool air is reaching that $4.000 battery under the back seat. It's been close to 100 degrees every day, and the interior temp must be 115? (Parked in mostly sun all day).

But I would hate to be a passenger in the backseat. It's small, cramped, and gets very little cold air back there. I blast my AC every day. I don't care if I lose 5 or 10 mpg! My comfort is more important.

'LectroFuel and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you tinted and using window screens when parked?

CoastRider likes this.
  11. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. But I'm surprised it doesn't help as much as I hoped. Expensive tint that reflects 99% of the UV rays, but the heat still builds up. And a front & rear Heatshield too. (Bought from the Prius Chat shop.) I would sure hate to be in this kind of heat with NO tint. (It's not as dark as appears in the photo). I don't know how those guys can tolerate a BLACK Prius!

I was visiting my sister recently, who lives about 80 miles east of LA. Near the desert. 108 degrees out there. My car baked. (This photo was taken nearer to the coast. Only 95° that day. :)

image.jpg

#11 CoastRider, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    alexcue, Prius from Dad and bisco like this.
  12. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My black Prius isn't actually that hot inside with the windshield sunshades and tinting. My red Prius is worse. Probably because of the lack of insulation. It also doesn't cool down as fast, which is weird because it has fabric, not SofTex.

CoastRider likes this.
  13. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your black Prius looks great. Just out of curiosity, I will put a thermometer inside mine and see what the temp is. 90 is cool, compared to what those folks in Phoenix are going through. I wonder how a Prius performs in 115 degrees?

My vehicles have always been parked in the sun, full time. Thankfully, I've never had much heat-related damage done. The only thing I recall, was way back in 1978, my Honda Accord started to develop a crack in the dashboard. But no other problems since then. The paint was usually always fine. I apply wax fairly often.
    The dark tint is great when driving. I can't see out at night, but who cares, I don't drive much at night. :ROFLMAO:

'LectroFuel likes this.
  14. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What I have noticed in my 2016 Three Touring is that the airflow out the upper vents increases in volume without changing the fan setting or the recirc setting whenever I switch from front-only to front+rear setting. In other words, without changing any other setting, the airflow increases simply by selecting all rows instead of front only. It takes a few seconds to occur, so not instantaneous, but a definite increase in air volume at any fan setting. My feeling is this is how the engineers accommodate rear seat passengers rather than having extra cold air vents for the rear seat.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm talking about the Gen 3 Prius' climate control but I assume it's similar for the Gen 4.

In the Gen 3, there are 7 manual fan speed steps but in automatic mode, there's something like 21 steps so the automatic mode is able to more finely tune the airflow to minimise power usage and control air temperature. That's probably what you saw.

The High Energy Solar Absorbing (HSEA) glass has been improved from Gen 2 to Gen 4. I, too, found our Gen 2 significantly hotter than my Gen 3 even though the Gen 2 had the beige interior and the Gen 3 had the dark grey. Granted, the Gen 3 had the SPVS running so obviously that helped keep things cool.

On our Gen 4, the windows are noticeably darker in factory spec than any car we've owned before so Toyota has definitely tried to reduce the amount of heat entering the cabin.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  16. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I've been in 120º heat a lot with my gen 2 and once or twice with my gen 4. Nothing bad happened. The AC ran perfectly fine. Of course there's no engine temp gauge, which would be helpful sometimes.

17. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I respectfully disagree. I run the HVAC in Manual Mode, so it is not adjusting the fan speed to maintain a temp setting, and the behavior is repeatable at any time by simply changing the Front Row or All Rows selection. Now, I do believe that the Front Row/All Row settings are there to conserve energy when only the front seats are occupied, but if one is not satisfied with the cooling airflow available even at max fan setting with front row only selected, then I suggest they try selecting all rows and appreciate the additional cooling airflow available. And the boost in airflow also occurs when Recirc is selected, which by itself boosts airflow.

18. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I always put "Recirc On." And turn off "S-Flow." I felt under the back seats today, and the AC comes out (slowly) from those tubes when the vent selector is set to defrost/low, high/low, and low.

I drove for quite a while with the vent set to defrost/low. It was high-noon, and hot, driving right into the sun, and I just wanted to see if that setting would possibly help to cool the front windshield more (and me). I believe it actually helped a bit, but I had to jack up the fan speed quite a lot. My AC doesn't seem to get as cold as I had hoped, even on the lowest temp setting.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh you're talking about S-Flow (Smart-Flow). Yes that makes sense if you're changing from "driver-only" or "front seats only" to "all seats" that the airflow increases (and electricity consumption increase). If you have a scangauge, you'll be able to determine how many watts the HVAC is using (if you prefer hard numbers rather than just aural proof)