1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back seat hot and brake smell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nderoche, Aug 15, 2007.

1. nderoche

nderoche New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello everyone this is my first post and I have enjoyed reading lots of the posts.
    I just got back from the dealer after having a few things checked. We got the Gray
    ghost last week (Package 5) and now have 1300 miles on her. I really love this car.
    My wife noticed that the back seat got a little warm and I smelled something like a
    burning brake pad smell. Well the Technician said all is well. The back seat does get a little
    hot due to the battery recharging and the smell was from the Toyo Guard. He went on to say that if the car gets to cold or to hot it will let you know. He said there is so many sensors that monitor everything
    there was nothing to worry about.
    He said the car will let you know when something is wrong.
    Everyone agree with his acessment? B)

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I agree the car will let you know if there is anything wrong. The battery is behind the rear seat and I don't think it heats the seat at all. The fuel tank is underneath the rear seat. The seat is just a foam pad on a plastic base, and sits on the floorpan. Outside air is probably what is heating it.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never noticed any heating with our back seat. As stated above, the battery is behind the seat, while the vent intake is on the passenger side of the back seat. I haven't noticed the smell either, but perhaps it's not as hot where we live.

Tom

4. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

I have been in the backseat of a Prius for a 3-4 hour roadtrip and not experience any heat issues at highway speeds. So I'm not sure what the heat issue could be. It seems logical that it could be related to the battery, but without a CV or something monitoring the temps, I couldn't say for sure.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Not sure why the seat is hot , but the odor could be the new plastics gassing off.
    leave you r windows down the most you can for a week or two.
    Ours had "that new car odor also" but the smell was not what I remembered from prvious cars, but todays cars are mainly plastic.
    I guess thats why.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive the car *really* hard sometimes and have never smelt anything, or noticed any heat in that area.

There is a cooling fan that's thermostatically controlled and will come on to ventilate that area if it overtemps, but I've never heard it come on, either. Do you hear it running at any time?

I've also heard it said that it's best to drive the car with the A/C on (unless the windows are down, of course)...helps to control the battery temperature.

If you could actually feel heat on the back seat, I'd be curious. The seat cushion pops off really easily if you're interested...(but with 1300 miles on the clock, I don't blame you if you're not!)

I'm no expert, but I'd keep an eye on the condition...I don't know what the normal range of operating temperature is for the battery, but I can't imagine it'd get hot enough where you could feel it through the rear seat.

----

You don't think the parking brake failed to disengage, do you? Might explain the smell...

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 15 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]496349[/snapback]</div>
    I've done that before, but not in our Prius. It's not a good smell. :rolleyes:

Tom

8. nderoche

nderoche New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Aug 15 2007, 04:48 PM) [snapback]496423[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like a true upp-er. I went to NMU and lived in Ishpeming. All my kids where boen there so they don't need a visa to come back. I'll bet the apple knockers thing the Prius is ugly but we know better.
    Ya you betcha. :blink:
    Nick

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firstprius @ Aug 17 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]497764[/snapback]</div>
    HA! :lol: