1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back-up beeper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by coulterj, Nov 26, 2006.

1. coulterj

coulterj New Member

I'm sure this has been dealt with but I'm a newbie and don't quite know how to access all the information available here. I have a 2006 Pruis and the back-up beeping noise is driving me crazy. I hear rumor that it can be disconnected - please DO TELL and save my sanity! Thanks. Jan

2. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Welcome to Priuschat - there is a world of information on the site. The search mode will bring you lots of good info.
    The beeper question has been answered before, but Evnut has a link to his site that provides the details, but hopefully I have the correct link here to them.
    Reverse beeper disable

Good luck and enjoy your Prius.

3. coyoteblonde

coyoteblonde New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Nov 26 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]354320[/snapback]</div>

HELP!! I have tried this process (as described in your link above) over and over... no results... I have a 2007... Did Toyota change things for the 2007 so that disabling th ereverse beep is not possible or different?? Any help would be soooo appreciated!! Thanks!

4. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Io, it's correct. I did it on my '07 and got it on the 2nd try. the sequence can be confusing. Don't give up!

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Where it says to hold the button for 10 seconds, hold it for 20. Stupid and boring to just hold the button in, but it needs that time to get to the correct mode. Hold the Trip/ODO button in for 20 seconds and then, after doing nothing but holding the button in, follow the rest of the procedure.

And welcome to PriusChat, coulterj and coyoteblonde! Lots of good information here. The Search link at the top of every page is your friend.

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Man, it's been so long since this topic has come up, I had even forgotten that the backup beep exists. I think that was the first "mod" I did to my car, and it works so well I hadn't even noticed in months!1

Welcome to PriusChat and enjoy your new Prius!!! :lol: :lol:

7. bvk

bvk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coulterj @ Nov 26 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]354309[/snapback]</div>
    Hey there,

we just got rid of the back-up beep yesterday.
    We found the answer in this web site but I can give it to you :

1 - press POWER switch and check that ODO is reading ODO ( not trip A or trip B)
    2 - turn off power
    3 - press POWER switch. KEEP your foot on the brake pedal....
    4 - within 5 seconds, press and hold the ODO switch for 10 seconds or more
    5 - while still holding ODO, shift from park to REVERSE and release.
    6 - ODO display SHOULD READ "B on"
    7 - press ODO switch once and it SHOULD READ "B off"
    8 - turn off power.

Honestly, it took us 10 times to achieve it. Keep trying. Good luck. and
    PS : like you, we love our PRIUS but this stupid beep was driving us mad.

8. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Back-up beeper turned off! :D

It only took 60 seconds, worked first try. Someone read the instructions while I pushed the buttons. Did a practice run through before, made it easy, no questions while actually doing it.

9. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

took me 2 goes by myself. the first time I didnt cycle through from ODO through trip's back to odo.

10. wendlyn

wendlyn Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bvk @ Apr 16 2007, 06:56 AM) [snapback]423908[/snapback]</div>
    On step 5 you left out that you need to put it into park after reverse. So it should be "while holding ODO, shift form park to REVERSE then back to PARK."
    That is what I had to do to trigger the b-on.
    Thanks for the info!!!!

11. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

I'm thinking of trying this tonight on our Prius as eveytime that thing beeps it surprises the hell out of me. I don't drive it often it my wife's car so I'll ask her what she thinks.

12. dnoh

dnoh New Member

This is awesome. Thank you so much. Right after I read this, I went out and fixed. My first try, it worked great.

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bvk @ Apr 16 2007, 04:56 AM) [snapback]423908[/snapback]</div>
    You may have just saved my sanity....

14. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ May 21 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]446964[/snapback]</div>
    well hold on now, I did that at first but switched back to the beep only because if you let someone else drive say a valet or friend and they forget it's in reverse and not watching the camera , lol it could get ugly, I was watching as the valet drove a way he stopped a few feet and put it in reverse to chk on another customer , then he started to go again, well he was still in reverse almost hit the people in back of him, so who's fault would that be? yours since you disconnected a safety buzzer or his by not paying attention.
    I put the beep back in my prius it saves my insurance rating

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 21 2007, 06:18 PM) [snapback]447003[/snapback]</div>
    I disabled the beeper and installed a back up beeper in the taillight. Now it can be heard both inside and out.

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 21 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]447031[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. It's not as loud outside as it could be, since it's in the housing for the tail lights. But it's a lot louder outside than the built in beeper. Inside it's not as annoying as the built-in beeper, since it's at the back of the car.

Dave M.

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 15 2007, 10:44 PM) [snapback]423882[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for that little tip! It worked for me!! :D

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 21 2007, 06:18 PM) [snapback]447003[/snapback]</div>
    Why would it be the owner's fault? How does the valet know when every other car that doesn't beep is in reverse? In normal operation the beep doesn't bother me. However, when I am trying to maneuver the car in reverse it is maddening. I am very close to doing the Toyota dance to disable it. If the reverse beep is such a great safety feature why is it only audible INSIDE the car and why isn't it mandated for every car?