1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back Up Camera Depth Perception

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jchang31, May 10, 2007.

1. jchang31

jchang31 New Member

From reading some other posts it seems that some people can use their backup cameras to get within a few inches of any objects behind them. I'm wondering how this is possible because objects behind the car on my screen appear to be much further away than they actually are.
    I use the backup camera to make sure nothing is directly behind me (such as a kid or a dog), but I turn and look to make sure that I'm not getting close to any fixed objects. If I tried to use the backup camera screen only when parallel parking, I think I'd end up backing into the car parked behind me because the screen makes it look like I have alot more space.
    I've never had a backup camera system before, so I assumed they just work this way, but does your backup camera give an accurate depth perception on the screen?

2. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is the best Parallel parking car i've ever driven. In chicago, EVERYTHING is parallel parking. i have a garage but the motorcycles live there. the prius parks out on the curb. TIGHT parallel parking and the prius ROCKS partly due to awsome turning radius and partly due to back up camara. normally i just play bumper cars and try and do it as softly as possible when getting into a tight spot. NO MORE. Backup camera is AWSOME. just be gentle on the throttle and you can get within millimeters to the car behind. i cant say enough about how much i like this feature... ok i'm stopping now

3. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The key to using the backup camera for parking is to realize what you are actually seeing. At the bottom of the image, you are looking almost straight down the bumper. The ground you see right next to the bumper is actually a bit behind the bumper.

I back into a parking space at work every day. The first few times I tried it, I would stop the car and get out and see how much space I still had before hitting the wall. After practicing a few times, I realized what I described above.

Try it. Once you get used to it, you will never want to live without it.

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(go_bears @ May 10 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]439224[/snapback]</div>
    I think you just have to get used to the difference. I almost backed up into a pickup the other day. I would have if I hadn't also been looking in my rear view mirrors as well. Maybe in time you can learn to relate apparent distance to actual distance. I've only had the backup camera in about a week now.

Dave M.

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Put an object on your driveway and practice with it.

When you see something at the bottom of the screen---as Nova says---it's right under the edge of the bumper.

While practicing with the close object on the ground, also practice with a distant object, like a trash can or box. You'll soon be able to estimate distances based on the position of the object in the image.

6. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It just takes some getting used to; pretty soon you'll be aan expert and be able to tell just how close to an object you are.
    I no longer back up until I hear the sound of breaking glass, and I'm a happier person for it. So are the people I was parking in front of... :lol:

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I agree with some comments from previous responses...

The fisheve lens on the backup camera definitely distorts the view, in exchange for giving a very 'wide-angle' depiction of what's behind you. Another way to say it: "You know something's behind you, but not exactly how far behind you." Consequently, I utilize the backup camera AND my "swivel neck" technique, never depending on either exclusively - could be that's partially true due to pilot training, always looking in 'all directions at once.'

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not useful for judging distance GREATER than a few inches, but it's extremely useful, as stated before, in judging distances LESS than a few inches. It's perfect for parallel parking or for backing up to a wall because if it looks like the obstacle is about to touch the arc across the bottom (your bumper) then it IS about to touch!

So, as the monitor advises, don't rely only on the backup camera. Turn your head around for any large or fast movements, and use the monitor to squeeze in nice and tight.

9. jchang31

jchang31 New Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I was hesitant to use the camera for tight spots because of the perceived inaccuracy in longer distances, but now that I've seen some of your responses I'll give it a try.

10. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Works great backing up to guard rails. Takes lots of practice. I like the suggestion of practicing in the driveway. Why didn't I think of that?????