1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back-up Camera

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dylandog, Feb 10, 2007.

1. dylandog

dylandog New Member

Hey there - super quick question: When in reverse sometimes I have to fiddle with the climate controls (defrost, etc). The back-up camera switches to the climate screen on the MFD, but doesn't return to the back-up camera unless I put the car in Park and switch back to reverse. Is there a better way? I am I being too lazy posting this question on PC rather than checking my manual? You bet! :p

Instructions? We don't need no stinkin' instructions! (not when we got the good folks on Priuschat.com)

2. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No unless you do a mod (anytime reverse video) Darell (priuschat usarname darelldd) has a nice site about his EVs and his Prius including lots of mods. A link to the Prius section of his site is here: http://evnut.com/prius.htm . But I don't think you can get back into the reverse video unless you go into park or something and back into reverse.

3. pviebey

pviebey New Member

I find that review is so wide-angle as to be almost useless. I seldom use it, and am back to head-swiveling after a few close calls...

It is cool, but dang, the scale is soooo messed up.

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pviebey @ Feb 10 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]388249[/snapback]</div>
    The wide angle is not bad once you get used to what is "close". ;)

They use a wide angle so you can see as wide around the car bumper as possible (go figure). It is meant to be able to verify nothing is immediately behind you (i.e. small children or animals), and also help in reverse/parallel parking. The view is indeed pretty much useless beyond a range of 8 feet or so, which is likely the main reason why there is no "anytime camera" button from the factory.

Of course, the backup camera plays a key role in the Intelligent Parking Assist feature available in Japan. B)

5. dylandog

dylandog New Member

I agree that the depth on the view is screwy - I use the monitor to make sure no little kiddies or their play equipment end up under my bumper ;) Otherwise it's the back and forth head whip to get good looks and a general big picture.

Oh yeah... turning off the back-up beep and the silly seatbelt beep was the best thing I've done yet :lol:

6. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dylandog @ Feb 10 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]388155[/snapback]</div>
    The only other way I know of to force the backup camera on is my hack I posted almost a year ago. If that's all you wanted to do, you could do it with a simple pushbutton switch in the dash that would apply 12 volts to the MFD's backup pin, and flip it back to the camera again. Darrell has it documented on his site, as someone else said.