1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back-up Camera

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by arf1410, Feb 6, 2008.

1. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

It seems that most of the Prius's I come accross, at least on line, include this option. Is the rear visibility that bad that a backup camera is necessary? Also, I'm having trouble figuring out just how much extra is being paid for the camera?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not that bad, but the camera helps and adds very little to the cost. Remember that you already have the big MFD screen, so all that is added is a small camera. Don't worry about the cost.

Tom

3. rob_md

rob_md New Member

The camera is nice, but you definitely wouldn't want to rely on it. It's good for letting you see when you're about to hit stuff like walls. It hasn't saved me from hitting anything, but has let me get closer to things than I otherwise would have.

4. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

I guess I have nothing against the backup camera, but here is my real issue. Base MSRP is about $21K. All the Prius's I see online run $24K and up...and seem to include a backup camera. Can I actually find a prius for under $22K MSRP. I'm a simple guy. Are there any options I really need to pay much extra for?

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I see the latest undermining effort is spreading. The idea came from a recently published article. It makes me wonder why it took the antagonists so darn long to think of it.

Now we see the thing here emerging as a question from a first-time poster. An innocent victim following up on a rumor? Perhaps.

But then again, Prius is hatchback. So of course visibility will be different. You can't cheat like you can with a sedan, relying entirely on the rear-view mirror. Using the side mirrors is required from time to time.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    VSC and side curtain airbags.

Tom

7. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For someone with questionable depth perception like me, the back up camera is one option I couldn't do without. With the camera, I have parallel parked Fiona on the first try every time for a year - more than I ever parked any other car. I'll never have another car without one.

Here in snow & ice (and salt) country, I do have to wash off the lens of the camera each day before I set out as the view is quickly obscured by road salt & slop.

8. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't use the back-up camera that much but it is very convenient when I do. I back up using the mirrors and the regular Mark 1 eyeball like I always have then use the camera to see how close curbs and other cars are. My wife and I also use it to do a quick check for kids and animals that might be hiding in the blind spot before we back up.

My kids love the back-up camera. I made up a job for them while they are in the car -- they have to watch the camera when I back up and tell me if I am about to hit anything. I also watch the camera but they don't seem to notice. They warn me about cigarette butts, pebbles, and leaves that I am about to run over.

9. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Think of it this way; You may never have to read about you running over you children or grandchildren in the paper. I know its a gruesome thought but you hear about this kind of thing way too much these days and a quick look into the MFD and you know how clear it is behind you.

10. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was in Japan over ten years ago and noticed that every truck/minivan had a mirror attached to the back of the vehicle to view the blind spot. I thought this was such a great idea and always wondered why it didn't become standard in the US. The back-up camera makes it an even better feature since you avoid the large mirror suspended from the back og the vehicle.

You can just ignore the camera if you really want to but blamy is right -- the # of children run over in their own driveways is increasing and it is such a simple thing to avoid unless the animal or child is under the car.

11. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

OK..I make this comment as an owner of 2 other toyotas (Camry and Sienna) ...but it looks like toyota has done some sleezy pricing on this car, which I am trying to verify...The basic option package (#2) with the backup camera variable slip something or other...is a very reasonable extra ~$600. However you cannot get any packages on the baseline trim level...you must go up a notch to the midlevel...so actually you are paying $1400+ $600!. What I am trying to verify is that the first 2 trimlevels (MSRP 21,100 and MSRP 22400) are literally IDENTICAL cars...