1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bredekamp, Apr 11, 2009.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I own a 2006. I would like to ad a backup camera. I'm trying to understand a few things though:

- What is the output of the OEM Toyota camera, composite analog video, RGB, component....digital?
    - Where does the video from the camera feed into the MFD unit? What format must the video be?
    - Would my car have the cable already?
    - Is there a difference between the 2005 and 2006 camera? (low res and hi res nav)

What else do I need besides the camera. I can get one off ebay. Part no: 86790-47020

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In the US the camera does not feed into the NAV unit as all but the package 1 include the camera while the NAV was available only in packages 7 & 8. Wouldn't an aftermarket camera be cheaper & easier to fit?

1 person likes this.
  3. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nobody wants to answer my questions. <goes and sulk in the corner>

4. SillyBilly

SillyBilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Heya.

The cam feeds NTSC composite signal. No idea on the cable existence, but the head unit of '06 is ready for it with no mods. Check the internals of your hatch door, there must (or must not :)) be a 4-pin male jack on a shielded cable.

There's no such thing as '05 cam since no older cars were equipped with cameras, expect Japanese models with auto-parking.

I've just installed a '06 camera into my '04 prius (quite a work) and must say it's amazing! Any 'aftermarket' camera is junk compared to the native one! It sees REALLY well even in darkness, when other cameras switch to B&W.

5. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. thomatt12

thomatt12 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Anyone who did camera installations on a 2003 Prius. I think I also want to put one on my ride since I always have a hard time parking especially at night. Any issues regarding installation or is it just the same for the 06 model? Thanks!