1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera Activation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by keydiver, Jan 31, 2006.

1. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So many people have mentioned that they would love to take a peek behind them while driving that I thought I'd take a look at the wiring diagrams. For those that have the 2006 Wiring Diagrams, I'm looking at em01r40.pdf. It appears that +12 volts is applied to a red wire by a backup relay, which turns into a black wire, goes to J36-C junction connector, and splits 2 ways: one lead goes to the Nav ECU, pin #20, and the other to the Multi Display, pin #21. Both are labeled "REV" on the diagram, evidently indicating REVERSE. My question is this: why does the NAV need to know when you're in reverse? Does the operation of the NAV change when you're backing up? Just curious. :rolleyes:
    Anyway, it looks like it would be fairly simple to apply +12 volts to that line to tell the MFD to switch to the rear camera view. Anyone brave enough to try it? :blink:
    I'd probably recommend cutting the wire, and using diodes, to avoid having the power backfeed, in case that would cause an issue, especially if it changes the NAV operation.
    Jeff O.
    Hobe Sound, FL

2. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Go for it Jeff O. All for the cause....

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhhh, but MY car is only 2 weeks old. I don't even have the guts yet to remove the glovebox for the EV switch mod. :blink: I'm quite a proficient hacker and mechanic, but I'm still squeamish about touching my new toy! :D

4. c4

c4 Active Member

The reverse lead is for the dead reckoning capabilities of the nav.. It tells the nav if you start travelling in reverse so that it can still estimate your position and direction without satellite signal even if you back up..

5. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats what I sort of figured, which is why I suggested using diodes. I guess I'll have to read the FAQ on removing the display, and see how tough it would be to pick up a hot wire to trigger it.

6. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Hey! Where'd you get that? :eek:

7. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not so sure about that. Then why isn't it that way for forward? Can't it just estimate your position that way too? I guess one way to tell is to go in reverse and turn a corner and see if the NAV follows. My "guess" would be to kill the display on the NAV if it was active. The backup camera overrides everything on the MFD.

8. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I finally decided that I should be the guinea pig, since I proposed the way to do this. My car is a 2006 package #3, without NAV. So, the directions, and plugs may look slightly different if you have NAV:
    1) Install a pushbutton switch in the dash, ala Evan Fusco's directions for installing the EV switch, using one of the blank plates in the dash:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=5
    My Radio Shack was out of the one he specified, so I had to use the more conspicuous red one shown here:
    http://www.dsmchips.com/~keydiver/switch.jpg
    2) Follow the directions in Chris Dragon's stereo install pdf to get the back of the MFD.
    http://www.chrisdragon.com/downloads/Stere...us,%20v1.03.pdf
    Follow his steps carefully up to his page 7. You don't need access to the stereo so you don't need to remove the compartment below the radio, or the radio itself. Once you have removed the MFD, skip from page 7 to page 9 to reinstall the panels in the proper order.
    This is what the back on my MFD looks like:
    http://www.dsmchips.com/~keydiver/display.jpg
    The plug circled is the one that has both +12 volt power and the REVERSE wire on it. You will notice that it is the mirror image of the MFD shown on the CANVIEW site, but the power wire is the same, a gray wire on pin #2:
    http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/installNONAV.html
    3) Here is a closer view of the 2 wires we need to tap:
    http://www.dsmchips.com/~keydiver/plug.jpg
    The gray wire, pin #2, circled in red, is the +12 volt power to the MFD, which we need to "vampire-clamp" to send power to the switch.
    The pink wire, pin #21, circled in black, is the reverse trigger wire from the backup lights to the MFD. According to my schematic, on a NAV-equipped car this is a red wire. This wire needs to be cut, and a diode installed into it with the banded end toward the MFD, to keep our new switch from turning on the backup lights.
    4) Diode installation (note: this can be any 1N400X series diode, like 1N4001, 1N4002, etc):
    http://www.dsmchips.com/~keydiver/diode1.jpg
    Remove the electrical tape wrapped around the bundle to give you more wire to work with, and cut the pink wire. Slip a piece of heatshrink onto the pink wire before soldering. Also, you will want to solder one of the wires from your switch to the banded end of the diode, the end connected to the MFD connector:
    http://www.dsmchips.com/~keydiver/diode2.jpg
    Use a heatgun to shrink the heatshrink onto the diode.
    5) Use a "vampire-clamp" to connect the other wire from the switch to the +12 volt gray wire on pin #2:
    http://www.dsmchips.com/~keydiver/both.jpg
    6) Follow the directions on the last page of Chris Dragon's stereo instructions to reassemble your dash.
    That's it! You can now push the button any time you want to see the rear camera. However, as someone pointed out, it is an EXTREMELY wide angle, like a fisheye lens, so anything more than 50-100 feet behind you is invisible.
    As an added point, I've now been thinking about how easy it would be to hijack the camera's video input to the MFD, and trigger it to watch DVD's on the MFD display! B) I may play around with that just for fun.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but it needs to know whether you're going forwards or backwards. There's a speed input to the nav, but it's not directional. It needs the reverse signal to tell which way you're going at 5mph.

I suppose that means it will get confused if you go rolling backwards on a hill in neutral...

10. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a great bit of pioneering work Keydiver! I wouldn't have the guts to do what you did on my new car.

Do the schematics show the signal interface of the video signal? I was wondering if it was NTSC composite video (single coax) or RGB (three or more coax cables) to the MFD. NTSC would be a piece of cake to alternately switch in a different video signal.

11. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Too cool! Nice job. How long did it take you? Looks like we need 2-way switches for the EV and Reverse Camera mods now.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now THAT is cool. Must have...

13. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm fairly sure that the camera interface is an analog, baseband video input, hopefully NTSC. (This is why the CANVIEW RGB interface doesn't work with the 2006 cars) The schematics show 4 wires to the camera:
    Pin #28= Shield = V- (Video negative)
    Pin #27= Red = V+ (Video positive)
    Pin #30= White = Camera Ground
    Pin #29= Black = Camera + Power

If I had a portable DVD player I'd jack it into the AUX audio, and try connecting the video into the MFD to try it. Playing DVD's on the MFD would be cool! B)

14. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I'd enjoy the ability to play DVDs on my MFD - I've already been wanting to go 'camping' in the Prius, being able to play our DVD collection easily would be awesome!

15. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the signal information, Keydiver! Yes, very cool possibilities. Get a multi channel video switch and go from rear camera, front camera, or DVD!

16. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [attachmentid=2645][attachmentid=2646]
    :) I allready installed this camera onto Prius '05 via CAN-view and video converter. Now I have also the possibility to watch DVD and NAVI from Dell notebook. See photo...

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, folks...

I made my own version of "anytime reverse video" this afternoon. I put up instructions and pictures of my way (no dash removal!) followed by Keydiver's way here: http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_mfd_video.htm

Please note that ALL credit for the wiring goes to keydiver!

Question for you folks without the JBL stereo system - do you have that front middle speaker... any sort of hatch up there? OR do you have a different dash with no hole?

18. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 2 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]233992[/snapback]</div>
    Wow Darell...great documenting! If I ever get the mod for my "eggs" to be able to do that to my new Prius, I'll be using your instructions. ;) Great attention to detail--especially with the macro shots.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the nice words, BellBoy. I wouldn't have gotten very far without Keydiver's help, that's for certain! It is nice to have it all documented in one place.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellBoy @ Apr 3 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]234133[/snapback]</div>
    That's one service I'm not planning on providing. ;)

20. samoan_ridah

samoan_ridah New Member

Are you guys all Electrical Engineers? :)

I really want to try this but I am a little intimidated. Anyone in Los Angeles that I can pay to help me out? Pretty please...