1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup camera image hard to see in bright light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Andy F, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Andy F

Andy F New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have a 2006 Prius. The backup camera is becoming harder to see in bright light. It is also somewhat less powerful at night. I wonder if the primary problem is the screen becoming dimmer with time or if a replacement of the backup camera might make a significant difference. I wonder if others have had this problem and know the answer to this question (and perhaps have fixed the problem). Thanks!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s more likely the screen than the camera. You can adjust the brightness and contrast in the meantime (press Display then General then adjust the brightness and/or contrast. I think there’s also a Camera section for adjusting the brightness and contrast when the backup camera is on).

3. Andy F

Andy F New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I will look into that.

4. pavidco

pavidco New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Your 2006 Prius sounds like a trusty companion! It's a bummer that the backup camera isn't as clear as it used to be, especially in bright light or at night. It's totally natural to wonder whether it's the screen dimming over time or if swapping out the camera could make a big improvement. Have you heard from other Prius owners who've experienced the same issue? They might have some valuable insights or even solutions to share. It's always nice to learn from each other's experiences!