1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by andreyco, Aug 16, 2013.

1. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello Gen II community! My dad bought a used '08 Prius a while ago and there is one thing about it that has always bothered me. The liftgate has a backup camera installed, but when he shifts into reverse he doesn't get an image. I've removed the plastic covering the wiring on the liftgate and the camera is plugged into the harness. Thats about as much as I know about tracing down where the connections should be. I would appreciate any direction in terms of how I should go about troubleshooting this.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you have access to electronic test equipment it will not be easy to figure out the problem.

In general, the problem areas include:

1. The camera does not work.
    2. There is a problem in the wiring harness.
    3. The MFD is not switching to the camera's video image when the gear selector is placed into R.

It will be pretty tough to figure that out unless you obtain the electrical wiring diagram (from techinfo.toyota.com) and have an oscilloscope to see whether the camera is producing a video signal, and a digital multimeter to confirm that power supply voltages are present.

Alternatively, you could start swapping parts (camera and MFD) to see what happens, which potentially is a costly activity.

Boo likes this.
  3. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I have a multimeter and could test if the camera has power, but no oscilloscope. I was interested in finding out where the harness is laid out, and if there is additional connections that I could double check between the camera and the MFD.