1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup camera part #

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by boa8, Mar 31, 2004.

1. boa8

boa8 New Member

I've got info from Japan about backdoor rear-view camera which is missing in US and Europe.
    Original Toyota Prius part # is 86790-28090, "Camera Assy, Television".

This cam is connected to NavECU (under the driver seat).

Anybody can check if this part is available in US and how much it costs?

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm intrigued by the idea that there might be video-in on the NAV already. Is there any picture that shows the connector?...

3. boa8

boa8 New Member

Logically, it should be this one in the middle.

[Broken External Image]:http://homepage.mac.com/boagh125/.Public/NavEcu.jpg

However, I'll be able to verify it only after getting my Prius in few weeks from now.

Current (incl. some very technically shrewd) owners prefer to keep this "secret" very tight...

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the same port CoastalTech's been using for the DVD in, etc. The port is no secret, but how it works could be.

The trick is to get the cam to turn on while in reverse - is the logic already there, or is it wired somehow to the reverse lights?

Also I didn't catch whether the harness is already there in the trunk area or not...

Given that I built the EVb harness, the other shouldn't be too hard if we can get the connectors :)

5. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

The other thing to note about that port was brought up in the other thread... it's already filled (at least on a #9). That could mean that the camera harness is already there, or that something else is using it.

If something else is already using it, there is the issue of making sure you can get the two to work together.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? On mine, there's a blue 8 pin plug that was empty - or so I thought - I'll check on mine.

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh. I assumed the DVD video never left the dash where the player was installed. I didn't think it ran out to the drivers seat, where it catches a ride back to the dash.

Where do these cables get routed: along the side of the car?...

8. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

Oh, is that blue port 8 pin as well? The port being pointed to in Boa's picture is filled. The blue port is the one to the far left.

If that is an aux video input (and hopefully audio too), that is is awesome!

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In mine the empty blue plug is the one on the far left (as in viewing the diagram). There are, indeed, wires coming from the indicated plug in the diagram...I bet the harness is there....

BTW, I see the little plug that comes out to install the camera, seems like it should be easy to get that inside panel off of the hatch for installing the camera...esp. if the harness is already there to plug it into.

Gotta find out how much it would cost to get one of those shipped over if we can't get them in the US. I may run by the Toyota Dealer tomorrow and see what they can do.

Danny, any chance ToyotaParts.com would be interested in getting these, or even PriusXM.com with a DVD of the install for a modest profit?

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ToyotaPartsStore.com has been very receptive in my phone calls to them about finding certain parts and ordering them, then passing along a discount to PriusChat users. We're finalizing their Sponsorship agreement hopefully by the end of the week.

And I'm sure that Jon would be able to put together a nice installation video once he gets his hands on one to install.

11. boa8

boa8 New Member

That would be great!

I think that (possibly) we can reduce cost significantly by installing compatible Toyota camera instead of original Japanese Prius camera.

It seems that original Prius cam 86790-28090 is rather expensive (JPY 72,000 or $692). This price is quite close to the prices mentioned for RX330 (86790-48020) and 4Runner (86790-35010) cameras.

However, optional camera for Toyota after-market NAVI system costs only JPY 22,000 or $212 at the current exchange rate (see picture attached, link: http://www.toyota.co.jp/dop-avn/options.htm ).

NORMALLY, these cams should be compatible electronically and it looks like it the same size.

If anybody has good contact in Japan, please let me know, I'll take a risk and buy it (results will be shared, of course)...

12. ajpalm

ajpalm New Member

13. boa8

boa8 New Member

Yeah, it doesn't exactly look like Sony Camcorder.

What's more important, I'm afraid that my contact (Konohazuku) gave me the wrong one.
    86790-28090 according to the posted picture doesn't look like native Prius cam, but something like an old version of the generic Toyota cam. "Head" shape and fastening is different.

My takeway: less doubts that $212 after-market cam (see previus messages) is compatible as it's modern, similarly placed item.

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    http://www.coastaletech.com/camera.htm is still my first choice of camera due to the Night Vision functionality, but it'd be nice to have anything to look at to be sure nothing is behind me. If only that camera would fit in the stock space so it'd be less likely to be played with.

Maybe by July, when I have some weekdays off to go to Florida with, Coastal will have some package ready to install...

15. Alex

Alex New Member

The 2004 Sienna XLE Limited has a backup camera that looks like it could fit in the Prius, although the part number (86790-45010) doesn't match any of the part numbers previously mentioned. If I have enough courage I may see if this camera fits in my Prius.

Alex Karahalios

16. boa8

boa8 New Member

It's a mistery to me why people want "night-vision functionality" (normal backup lights are not enough?) and ready to carry such an ugly stuff on the back of their cars.

I have only one possible explanation, but it's too weird to spell...

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you've had a chance to see just exactly how good that camera looks at night I can see how it would be difficult to understand. But, to answer your question "normal backup lights are not enough" the answer is, in many cases, NO.

Dave's camera is in beautiful color in the day and bright light. At night it uses a circular array of very bright LEDs plus the camera automatically switches to a 'night vision' black and white that renders great detail even in very dim light. I've had to, on many occasions, back down narrow alleys or country roads or driveways at night, the dim reverse lights often make that pretty difficult. Sure, for backing out of the usual parking spot the regular lights are fine, but then so is turning your head and looking out the back window. If you're going to spend the $$ for a backup camera you may as well get one that will truely be useful when you most need it.

RE: the appearance issue...I do agree with you there. If forced to choose between great detail and night vision and sleek install, I'd probably opt for sleek install. But Dave's camera is sweet.

BTW, did anyone have the part number for that $212 camera alone--and I didn't really understand the post about it whether it was felt that it would work or not in the Prius.

18. boa8

boa8 New Member

Doesn't matter how "sweet" it is, it doesn't belong there. The primary reason why I don't like it is esthetical, but from practical point, coastal cam will not survive for long time in public parkings...

The problem with $212 cam is that I so far I don't have anybody in Japan to buy it for me. It's available at most of Toyota parts/accessories dealer, but only in Japan.
    Link is available, identification is easy, just somebody's help needed.

Sometimes Japan is like another planet...

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I do have a feeling that these newer cams will be better for night time than prior models may have been. I was in my friend's MDX 2 weeks ago and saw his camera in action, and was amazed at how well it did at night using just the rear backup lights for lighting. Remember that the 04 has a totally different lighting system from the Classic and that it appears as if there is an OEM camera made for it.

20. boa8

boa8 New Member

Thanks, Danny.

Do you know anybody in Japan to order this JPY 22000 ($212) cam?

It seems that all these "Japan Direct" guys are completely lost when you start talking to them about small autoparts. When I explained, which item at which website. Go there, up to the third floor, right 50m, left 150m, third shelf, 50 cm from the left etc... They're lost...