1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

backup camera rough in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by whitedogone, Jul 6, 2010.

1. whitedogone

whitedogone New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    II
    I am installing my wife's new JVC nav tomorrow. I want to add a BU cam but don't have it yet. As I have read most that have installed them needed to add an extention to the RCA cable. I want to add this so that I can put everything back together and not have to take it apart again. That said: what length extention do I need, where should I "end" it for now , and will I need to rough-in any other wires from the head unnit to the cam?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just finished my install and I needed a 4' (or whatever the standard RCA lengths are) extension. I ran it down just behind the brake pedal area to meet up with the cable from the cam at right behind the parking brake.
    The other wire you can put in now is the reverse trigger. I ran mine from the left rear taillight. It would have been handy finding a source @ the dash. Perhaps the fuse for the reverse lights?
    Have fun!

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd run a 12 foot cable - I think it would make it to the drivers door panel.

The Ebay cameras mentioned elsewhere fit well...

Put your mic above the drivers A pillar - or at the overhead console.

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Edit: I would add if you know where thebackup wire is up front - wire it now - but if you can't find it (I couldn't), you may want to run an *extra* wire to the backup of the JVC (12 foot also). I picked up the 'reverse' from the reverse light at the tail assembly. So I ran another wire back.....

5. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A