1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wardog, Nov 25, 2005.

1. wardog

wardog New Member

In doing some research about the '06, I haven't been able to find out if the backup camera does double duty and acts as a sensor, also. In other words, will it provide an audible sound to notify proximity to objects? (I tried searching for this but was unable to find an answer).

2. c4

c4 Active Member

No.. The camera is only for video.. You could use some sophisticated image processing software to estimate distances from a video image, but that is not the case here.. If you wanted distance measurement or simply a proximity alert, it would be much simpler and very much cheaper to put in a sonar system.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No it isn't. I doubt you'd want one anyway since on the screen, you'll have green, yellow and red boxes which gives you the rough estimate of how far you are (but no actual distance figures). I'd much rather have visual than audio. The backup sensor beeping makes it sound like you've killed someone everytime you back up lol. (read: heart rate monitor)

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a few days ago the back-up beep saved me from an accident. The back-up beep is not a sensor output of any manner - just an indicator of being in reverse.

I was stopped at a traffic light and accidently hit the joystick and shifted into reverse. If there were no beep, I would not have known I was in reverse - as there are no associated transmission jerks you feel like with an old fashioned automatic transmission.

There was a car close behind me and I’m sure I would have rammed him good had it not been for the beep.

If the cars with the cameras don’t have the beep, or you disabled the beep - be careful. I am now a beep afficionado.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm planning to remove it if I install a backup sensor. I would like the camera, sure, but I can get one with a display that gives feet and what sensor is picking up the obstruction, as well as the sound.

6. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I'm still wondering why they don't make the reverse beep outside the car. You would still be able to hear it inside and it would be more practicle and safer. I removed my beep but luckily I'm getting used to the shifting and if you ever are in question, just look at the shifter or the display to see what gear you're in.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Someone has added a beeper to the rear for just such a purpose. They got the talking one from J.C. Whitney. According to them, the sound really isn't that bad inside. The link to the mod is http://priuschat.com/Reverse-beep-modifications-t8867.html

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That was the problem . . . I was not in doubt of what gear I was in. I hit the shift knob while moving a jacket, so I did not feel the shifter (joystick) move, or a transmission jolt shake the car (which does not happen in a Prius) . . . and the stereo and jacket muffled the sound of the joystick’s movement.

I had no reason to be in question of what gear I was in . . . until I heard the warning of the beeps.

The little square around the R, N, D, or B is not a warning device, it is an indicator. The difference being that an indicator informs you of a normal status or occurrence . . . a warning devise lets you know something is wrong.
    A speed limit sign is an indicator.
    A “Slippery when Wet†sign is a warning.

The shifter, on the other hand, has no indications at all. It is a momentary contact lever, and is spring loaded back to its null position. The null position tells you nothing about what “gear†you are in.

The back-up beeps are a warning device, not an indicator. Disable at your own risk.