1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bruceha_2000, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I couldn't find the original threads via search. Sorry if I'm creating yet another thread on a common subject.

Given how often I have to clean the schmuck off the vertical rear window, I'm wondering if the license plate frame camera or the one Brosnan got wouldn't be blind or at least really unclear most of the time and maybe not too easy to clean. Would a camera be available that could be mounted INSIDE the rear window? At least then it wouldn't be directly covered with the grime I get all winter long. I am concerned that if it was mounted inside it might be subject to wierd light reflections and the tint in the window might make the picture too dark (though that might be adjustable at the MFD). Maybe someone has a little insight?

Thanks

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm afraid I have been WAY too busy and haven't had time to follow the forum.

I'm bringing this back to the top in case it just got lost. Or, maybe no one has an opinion.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...you could but there must be a reason why manufacturers place them under the licence plate garnish. Well I'm guessing that the small camera lens is easier to clean with your gloves than smear the stuff off the window.

Given that the Prius has that split window below the spoiler, I'd say that would be a good spot

4. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"72288)</div>
    I think you meant schmutz

5. rwithop

rwithop New Member

I am not big on the look of the license plate location of the camera. If you don't want a license frame or have an "Alumni" one already, you kind of lose out.

I have been following other threads that show the Japanese Prius with a camera located just to the left of the license plate lights. Still protected and out of the way, but less visible. I am currently talking to an importer who looks happy to send it to me for about $250 plus S&H.

Anybody want to get in on the order and reduce the price or shipping costs?

6. Rumply

Rumply New Member

Possibly interested... would need to know what the requirements for the camera are and what the install would be like... but I like the idea of the backup camera.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Search up the user Frenchie. He has done a complete OEM installation (with pics) on his Prius

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LewLasher\";p=\"75453)</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Maybe he keeps hitting shmucks who walk behind his car, and that's why he needs a camera. :)

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LewLasher\";p=\"75453)</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Well, maybe Bruce is a more aggresive driver than you think... :mrgreen:

10. Georgepol

Georgepol New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I may be interested. Not sure how old your post is as I just found this site and am buying a 2005 Prius. It does have the screen for navigation and also the climate control.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The post is 4 years old. Good luck.