1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Sensor Wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GRWilde, Dec 29, 2005.

1. GRWilde

GRWilde New Member

I just purchased a Wireless Ultrasonic Back-Up Sensor that I want to install on my 2005 Prius. The sensor and transmitter need to be hooked up to the reverse light circuit in the luggage area. The receiver/display needs to be hooked up to an accessory power wire (active when the ignition is switched on).

Does anyone have any advice as to the best places and ways to make these connections?

2. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

The reverse light wire is just inside a little plastic panel to the sides of the trunk hatch, on the inside. The panel pulls of with litle effort. I found the left side (car's left) a bit easier to manuver in. (I was installing trailer lights.) Just trace the wires off the bulb and tap in. T-taps are great for this. The white with black strip is usually the groud, but check polarity anyway.

Depending on where you want to mount the display, one of the easiest ways to get power near the dash is the wires to the acc outlet. It is switched, unless you have modified it. Look for dash removal instructions and follow the parts to get the passenger's right vent, then the lower glove box, and then the passanger's left vent off. Mostly, stuff just pulls apart. Then, look behind the oulet to see its wires. You may need to move the big computer modual that is just abouve the outlet. It has a screw on top and then pulls away at the bottom. Wiggle it out of the way (gently...it is a tight fit. Don't pinch any wires.) untill you have enough access to the wires.