1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backyard windmill leads to dispute at shore

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Somechic, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LONG BEACH TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - One man's source of electric power is causing an ill wind to blow in this seaside town.

Two of Michael Mercurio's neighbors have filed a lawsuit to stop him from using a windmill in his backyard that helps to heat and light his house. The suit contends the windmill is too noisy, creates shadows on their property and spoils their sleep.

In response, the township's board of commissioners discussed proposing an ordinance that would ban the building of windmills higher than 12 feet, except for decorative purposes. The board decided to table the ordinance after some residents spoke in favor of the windmills at a public meeting.

"Why are they going to prohibit this?" Nancy Petralia, a resident of nearby Loveladies told Gannett New Jersey. "You look around the world, and they are already doing these things. In Germany, they have 10 percent of their energy from wind and in Denmark, it's around 20 percent. We should be encouraging people to do this."

Patricia Caplicki, one of the neighbors who sued Mercurio, said the ordinance "is something that needs to be adopted. There is an issue with the noise and safety of the windmills."

Mercurio said the windmill provides about 25 percent of his electricity, with the other 75 percent provided by solar panels.

"Long Beach Island has the best wind resource in the state of New Jersey, and I, as a property owner, have the right to the resource on my property," he said. "It is up to our local government to realize this fact and allow us to build these systems without adding unwanted costs to a project, or hurdles."

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/ne...p-7382647c.html

2. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This stuff makes me so mad. Bad reporting makes me mad too. Is the windmill unusually squeaky? A squeaky windmill is less efficient so I doubt a power priviteer would allow that.

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Jul 3 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]472424[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it is located 15 feet from the neighbor's bedroom window. And regardless of the mechanical parts, the wind flowing over the blades is going to make a "Whoa-Whoa-Whoa-Whoa" sound. I'm not sure I'd want something like that 15 feet from my bedroom window either. Similarly, I wouldn't want a leaky faucet in the next room going "drip-drip-drip-drip", even if it wasn't unusually loud.

Neighbors say LBI windmill a nuisance, sue for its removal

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Jul 3 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]472424[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure the neighbors are making it sound worse than it is. How much of a shadow would a windmill cast? And it's not like that little bit of shadow is going to stay in the same place and kill grass with it's shade.

More info.

They neighbors are claiming the windmill produces a strobe light effect from noon to sunset and they have stress-related symptoms.

"The turbines New Jersey Wind installs are usually so quiet that people are able to stand under them and have a normal conversation."
    "Pinsauro said his client had a permit to construct his wind turbine and now the township is trying to revoke that permit."

Now there's the money sentence. They can limit them in the future if they want but the guy had a permit and it wasn't against the law when he built it.

They neighbors want it removed after the fact. Going to be a lot harder. That's why they're harping on 'safety'. I think they'll have to prove that windmills fall over on people.

And he owns an electric car.

This article has a picture.

It's no worse than a flagpole. I'll bet they don't like his PV panels on the roof either, but they can't get them removed. And looks like they're in the minority. The town council tabled the decision when over 50 people showed up in favor of windmills.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

If that township won and said homeowner has to remove the windmill, I would move and have the town get bad press world wide.
    Bad political move in this day and age not only by the township but his lousy neighbors.

I used to live in Northern Arizona where all power is by wind generators or solar or gas gen sets.
    a wind generator makes noise but not annoying as this is made out to be. Unless he has an old obsolete generator up there.
    Still his property his rights, there we go again losing rights (left and right) sorry for the pun.
    I don't think I like my neighbors house color damn I'm gonna sue him it hurts my eyes gives me a migrane
    whats next, the world is really F%&*ked up

6. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Wow, I'm glad I don't have asshat neighbors like that.

My words of wisdom for the day:
    "Don't feed the lawyers."

7. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 3 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]472439[/snapback]</div>
    I've heard lots of "It looks ugly" complaints from people like Ted Kennedy, but this seems like a legitimate gripe to me. It's not as bad as him firing up his own diesel generator, but something that generates a constant noise would bother me. And being that close to the neighbors house could be a gripe too. If we're talking big acre lots this wouldn't be a deal. But in many cities, they're down to postage stamp size lots where a windmill may not be appropriate.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoid @ Jul 3 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]472527[/snapback]</div>
    A coal fired plant, "not in my back yard". A nuclear power plant, "not in my back yard". A windmill, "not in my back yard". Some people just shouldn't have electricity.

Won't the neighbors be pi$$ed when they lose power during the hurricane and only Mr. Windmill has air conditioning.

9. Den.

Den. New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 3 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]472722[/snapback]</div>
    In this case, wouldn't that be "Not in your backyard?" :D

Reminds me of here in Ontario. Where alternative energy is promoted but ONLY if the government controls/profits from it!

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 3 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]472443[/snapback]</div>
    Seriously, what if it were the US Flag that was flapping and making noise. Would they still complain?

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Bingo! there's the answer. fly a flag from the structure. (It's NJ, fly the rainbow flag alongside old glory.)

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 4 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]472916[/snapback]</div>
    They complained in Fl. about Trump's oversized American flag.

13. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoid @ Jul 3 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]472527[/snapback]</div>
    They are comparing the noise to an air conditioner. Personally, I don't like the constant hum of air conditioners, be they central or window, but I'm not making an issue about it. Now, if he is breaking some kind of noise ordinance, then that is a different issue. But, it sounds (reads) like the neighbors are just complaining for the sake of complaining. Granted, I don't live next to the guy, so I don't know how loud it really is.

I just enjoyed reading the story where it seems the townwship is supporting the windmill usage.

14. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where the hell is Darell? I'm amazed he hasn't waded into this. :D

fixed!!

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    perhaps it has nothing to do with the turbine. Maybe they don't like the guy and are being pricks. The turbine was just the excuse to complicate his life? Who knows. Glad to see people stepping in to support the guy though.

16. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 4 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]473283[/snapback]</div>
    December 26th, 2006 at 4:35 pm
    Trump Sues Town for $10 Million
    in: Legal Troubles, Trump
    Donald Trump is suing Palm Beach, Florida after his club, the Mar-a-Lago, was cited for flying an oversized flag.

“The Donald†is claiming that flying the enormous flag is a constitutionally protected freedom. Trump is quoted as saying “The day you need a permit to put up the American flag, that will be a sad day for this country.â€

According to the suit, “A smaller flag and pole on Mar-A-Lago’s property would be lost given its massive size, look silly instead of make a statement, and most importantly would fail to appropriately express the magnitude of Donald J. Trump’s and the Club’s members’ patriotism.â€

Palm Beach officials say that Trump violated the local zoning ordinances by flying the flag. The flag measured 15 high by 25 wide and was hoisted atop an eighty foot flag pole. Apparently town ordinances prevent flag poles higher than 42 feet. The club was also sited for not getting a building permit and for not getting permission from the landmarks committee.

Trump’s attorneys are accusing the town of selectively enforcing its ordinances.

Your Therapy:

It seems Donald’s finally found a symbol big enough to represent his ego. This suit is crazy both because zoning ordinances are a bit ridiculous and because Trump is suing for ten million. I don’t really understand what Trump is suing over. Can’t a town enforce its own rules?

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jul 5 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]473610[/snapback]</div>
    In the minds of some people.....no. Not if it goes against what they want.

And to be really offensive I'll say they're usually the privileged and rich that are the spoiled brats with the laywers.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe LBI guy can redefine his installation as a flagpole that doubles as a turbine mount.

19. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I went out to visit a commercial wind farm last year. Mind you, these are *huge* windmills. Even standing right underneath the sound was a low key 'whoosh-whoosh-whoosh' from the blades, and a constant hum from the generator.

Not a big deal IMO. However, the strobe effect would drive me batty if I had to see it for more than a couple minutes at a time.

20. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 3 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]472722[/snapback]</div>
    My thoughts exactly. Most of my power comes from nuclear. If I had a choice of all of my neighbors running windmills or having to content with the construction of a nuclear power plant nearby, I'd choose the former. Can't sleep due to the noise? Get some earplugs or a white noise machine (ironically, I always considered my fan a white noise machine. Those pesky neighbors get theirs for free.)