1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad brake booster (twice), bad cat converter, and bad HV battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mischa, Feb 2, 2011.

1. mischa

mischa New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm quite disheartened with the reliability of my '02 Prius. It's turned out to be one of the most expensive cars to maintain that I've owned. Here's the letter I'm planning on sending Toyota:

February 01, 2011

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501

Dear Mr. James:

I am writing to express my disappointment in the reliability of my 2002 Toyota Prius.

I bought my Prius as a Certified Used Toyota from Toyota of Fort Worth, TX on March 17, 2004. I perform regular maintenance and (so my wife says) drive like an old man.

On July 25, 2006, at just over 83,000 miles, I was told that my Toyota Prius needed a new brake booster/actuator assembly (part #47071-47010).

I was surprised to have this part fail (on a 4-year old vehicle!), and therefore called Toyota corporate customer service/care. The service reps said that, since they did not see a track record of this part failing, they didn’t believe it was Toyota’s problem and they chose not to help at all.

So, I had Vandergriff Toyota in Arlington, TX replace the part at a cost to me of $1,258.66. The Vandergriff service rep told me that it was very uncommon for this part to fail, and that this was the first one they had performed.

Then, only 4 years later, on October 5, 2010 (at 145,766 miles), the same part needed replaced again. Don Davis Toyota in Arlington, TX replaced it for a cost to me of $1,327.50.

Before the second replacement, I once again called Toyota customer care, who repeated the same “It’s not our fault” mantra. I wasn’t trying to assess blame, but do believe that this part’s failure (the first, and most definitely the second time) was quite beyond reasonable expectation of regular wear and tear. (This was also was asserted by the Toyota service rep saying, during the initial replacement, that the part’s failure was very uncommon.) So, the fact that the failure was an unusual occurrence, and yet happened to my vehicle twice speaks to a defect in the model or the part itself. Having to replace it TWICE on my own dime was a true displeasure. This failure for Toyota to acknowledge the issue and provide some satisfaction or recompense speaks poorly for the brand. Not to mention leaving a poor sense of Toyota’s reliability.

In addition to the brake failure, I have also had to replace the catalytic converter and O2 sensors for $2,037.75 at Don Davis on October 7, 2009 at 133,959 miles and the hybrid battery on April 19, 2010, for $1,500 (self-installed). These failures, in my view, are earlier in the life of the car than one would expect – especially for a Toyota, which has built a reputation as being reliable.

My family has owned a number of Toyotas over the years including a 2001 Prius, a 2006 Prius, a 2007 Prius, and a 2006 Tacoma.

Overall, my satisfaction with Toyota has diminished considerably, and I am frustrated with the poor customer service experiences as detailed above. In particular, having to pay for the same “rare” repair twice was frustrating and a major disappointment.

Sincerely,
    Mischa Porter

Cc: Director; President and COO, Toyota Motor North America; Chairman and CEO, Toyota Motors Sales, U.S.A.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for sharing your story. Classic Prius was just a few steps beyond being a science experiment and now that they are 8-10 years old, we'll see more stories like yours. The repair costs will eat you alive if you cannot DIY, and the brake actuator assembly replacement would be very difficult to DIY.

3. Londonderry

Londonderry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You accurately described what I have started to fear about keeping my low mileage 2002. Should I thank you? I'm glad to have found the PriusChat site and many useful links mentioned in the posts. As a result, I've become interested in learning and doing more than simple maintenance. Concurrently, I love my old sportbike even more than before. I can rebuild the engine with basic tools (and 40 years of experience keeping my bikes running). My bike can get close to 100 mpg, riding in a full tuck with favorable wind. No computer at all... so many things I could list!

4. Oceana

Oceana New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where is reply button on these posts

5. Oceana

Oceana New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same problem. I am exhausted, disappointed and angry that Toyota may not step up to their manufacturing malfunction my failed brake actuator. Have you gone to Consumer Report and checked out 2009 brake complaints? A friend said that many are coming in now. I couldn't find it. Maybe you can. Maybe you can get all of your money back.

6. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh geez. sounds like it is time to part with my 2002 with a leaky brake booster... Hard to give up the 46 mpg! :(

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A possible alternative if you have reasonable DIY skills, is for you to replace the brake booster yourself, using a used part. Then have your car towed to your local Toyota dealer for brake fluid to be added and the system purged of air.

8. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks nasty to get at. Not sure what to do. May call around to some local mechanics, Toyota want $2k and the Prius isn't worth a crap in trade on a gas guzzler. IF I do it there will be a lot of loud cussing from the garage and wife don't like that, dealer is 45 miles but I have a pickup I could tow it with on a rented dolly.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't see a problem. You needed a new part on a 4 year old vehicle and then nothing was needed until it was 8 years old with over 140,000 miles. Sounds ok to me.

If you're concerned about reliability of Toyota then try a Chrysler and be thankful you don't get Citroens or Fiats in America. :)

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Grumpie-
    The new Fiats are selling quite well here in the States. Big advertising campaign centered around Jennifer Lopez.
    I miss my 128 from the 70's. That was a really fun car.
    But I agree with your viewpoint. So many posters here are just amazed when something fails on these cars.
    Cars break down. That's what they do. Especially early models of a line that are getting very old.

11. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We are getting Fiats at our Chrysler Dealers . See lots on the roads these days. Some people never learn GrumpyCabbie by the looks of things!!! H

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes we got Fiats at our Chrysler dealer too about a year ago I think. Lots of advertising on TV. Constant.
    They look like a fun car but styling not for me. And the tiny little smart car has not sold well here. I do not see many of them.
    Both to small a car to drive a round here. Prius is about the smallest car I would drive around the worlds worst drivers we have here. Half of the kids in town don't have insurance.