1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad case of mood swing & unplanned spending

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Speedracer, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One day I had bad day at work so, decided go for ride to forget thing. Then no reason I stop by local Toyota dealer(big mistake). After 1/2hr browsing catalog and I order new accessories which dont know why... :roll: also, I regrets after...
    So, here my is BAD expample.
    I just spend 380 bucks for pair of new blinker light which integrated to side mirror. At least look cool and much more safer for oncoming traffc when I making a turn during a nite..

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I assume the regrets are due to the expense, not the product :)
    I wish they were standard on all cars everywhere. Lots of times cars have the indicators right under the headlamps. You don't even know they are blinking until you are so close it doesn't matter. You have already figured out they are turning by their other actions. Moving them up and away from the headlights is a real safety and 'politeness' gain. There have been many occasions when I would be waiting to go and figured out someone was turning and I wouldn't have had to wait. I would think "I wish that person had used their turn signals" only to find out a few seconds later that they were.

3. swepri

swepri New Member

Sliding off topic a bit, are people good at using turn signals elsewhere? In Sweden there has been a degradation over the last few years so it is quite common to be surprised by a car suddenly turning. I think that Germans and other Europeans are better at showing their intentions, especially on the autobahn.

/Paj

4. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Turn signal? What is a turn signal? ;-) I guess that answers your question :) I would say that MAYBE 50% use them. I guess it is just too hard to push that little lever up or down.

5. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its nice in nite, when turn on blikner, lit very nice :mrgreen: I'll try take a pic. But $380 is bit too much...
    Other hand good safety future...
    Well when headlights is on (specially for HID/Xenon) it hard to tell the blinker is on or off from distance. Now oncoming traffic know I'm making turn...

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Around here a lot of people turn on their turn signal just moments before turning, so it does little good. Other times they leave them on, so they're signalling a turn they don't make.

7. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

are these an option for US and Canadian Prius?

8. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't this a replacement of the entire mirror assembly? So though $380 may seem steep for the blinker light, it might not be much of an increment over replacing the standard mirror.

9. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is Whole new assembly.. and need run new wire... BTW that price include the 6 hr Labor.

No. Only in Japan

10. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I wish more people would use their stupid signals. Its not like they have to stick their left arm out the window or something.

Now, I just assume every driver on the road is a moron (non-signaler) until proven otherwise. That's what I call Defensive Driving : )

11. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with that, specialy when I move to Pittsburgh I notice right a way... Why so different in each state???

12. jchu

jchu New Member

Speedracer and Sun__Tzu,

Spending time in NYC you must realize that using your blinkers there has a different effect than using it elsewhere. At least when I lived there, you had 2 choices when changing lanes: 1) Find a clear spot and just go for it :oops: or 2) Find a clear spot, signal, wait for the guy who you would be pulling in front of to jam his way past you and then make your lane change. :guns:

My wife used to complain that I didn't use my blinkers enough until she came to understand what happened in NYC where I learned to drive. I am slowly getting better about the signal thing. And with the Prius, the first new car I've ever bought, getting much better, much faster.

13. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel that what you purchases was worth every penny. I just wish they had these little features in the US. Including the side markers and the low profile tires. Oh yeah.. the rearview camera. I guess as Americas complaining about everything, we do deserve for once to get basic. But, i want the goods. :mrgreen:

14. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm part time New Yorker as well, its difficult to driving around or in NYC. Like crossing GW or Lincon Tunnel around rush hour.
    In NYC must make on spot which my friend called "65mph parell parking on Parkway". Like untill few month ago when ever marge in to Lincon Tunnel from NYC to NJ. Yes I'm the guy who jam in to last minute which cause more traffic :mrgreen: point finger from NYPD

15. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Enough people don't use turn signals to be annoying (I suppose they think that if THEY know they are going to turn, no one else has to). Some others seem to have the turn signal attached to the steering wheel, as the light doesn't go on until they are actually turning. The small town where I live is surrounded by countryside, and farmers are notorious for not using signal lights. They get used to not doing it on the country roads, and that carries over to their in-town driving.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum: I will even use turn signals in a parking lot, or when no one is around for miles. But it SHOULD be an automatic response, shouldn't it? For both safety and courtesy.

(I am sometimes of the opinion that all OTHER drivers suck!)

16. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, how much did THESE set you back, installed? Are they intended for Prius or are they something from a Camry or other car? They do look cool, though.
    Try to imagine how utterly spiffy you'll look to oncoming traffic at night with your four-ways, er, six ways? on.
    Don't feel bad, or else you'll just go out and buy something else.......
    Thanks for a fun post.

17. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Japan all accsseories price include labor and 5% tax. Totally I spend $380.
    This mirror assembly for Prius and pre-painted to factory color. Dealer took about 5hr to install since have to remove door panel and run wire

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm at 380$, i think you got a deal. 6 hours labor in the US would leave about $20 left for the parts.

19. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathryn\";p=\"39769)</div>
    Except me of course ;-) I'm with you Kathryn. If you get in the habit of always using them even if it is 3 AM and there isn't another vehicle in sight, it is automatic when you do need them.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"39548)</div>
    In many urban areas in California, the meaning behind turn signal usage for changing lanes on freeways has degraded to: “Hey . . you coming up fast behind me, don’t mess with me, you are too late, I am now partway into my new lane - wake up and don’t disrespect me by invading my personal space!†Two blinks usually suffices for this warning.