1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad CV joint, but which one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tupelo, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Tupelo

Tupelo New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently started hearing that familiar ratcheting sound that indicates I probably have a bad CV joint on one of the front axles. I hear the sound when simultaneously braking and turning. How do I identify which axle is the problem? The sound occurs when turning either left or right, and all the CV boots are intact with no evidence of leaking grease.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you get the noise when accelerating and turning? As this puts the CV joints under the largest load. Braking should have little affect. Normally the noise is loudest on the wheel on the inside of the corner you are taking because this wheel is at the greatest angle to the drive shaft.

If the noise is only there when braking into a turn this usually means loose wheel nuts.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Had a rethink on the noise when braking on the Prius this will load the CV joints above 7mph because of the regen braking on the front wheels. So does the noise disappear below 7mph when braking?

4. Tupelo

Tupelo New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually notice the sound between about 10 and 18 mph. At lower speeds, I'm generally not braking hard and turning at the same time. At higher speeds, the turns aren't as tight. I don't notice the sound when accelerating, but the braking that generates the sound is harder than I usually accelerate. All the front lug nuts are tight. I'll keep playing with it and see what I have to do to replicated the sounds consistently.