1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad decision.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bendial80, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Bendial80

Bendial80 New Member

I'm sure posting anything negative on here will get me a lot of flames but here goes. It's been almost 3 months now and I've put about 3,500 miles on my 2007 prius. I have to say I'm not really satisfied with the car. There are certain things that I'm having a hard time getting past. For example, I'm 6'2" with really long legs, and after 30 minutes of sitting in traffic my legs and knees really hurt and I have a hard time staying comfortable in the car. Also, the braking is really annoying (I'm not really sure how to explain that either other than that the brakes don't feel very solid, they are either way too soft or way too responsive and get jumpy depending on conditions). The major thing that gets to me is whenever I hit a pot hole in the road or a big bump my traction control goes off and the car accelerates or lunges forward, only one time I almost accelerated into someone's bumper and had a hard time stopping the car....very scary and unsafe.

It's too bad, I think I made a bad decision buying this thing and I'll lose a lot of money if I turn around and sell it to someone else. Can I have my Corolla back Toyota? :(

2. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bendial @ Jul 30 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]487684[/snapback]</div>
    You might want to see what you can get for it - right now they are holding their value insanely well.

In the last two months I found two 2007 cars with similar mileage and both were within 1.5K of the price of the new ones at the respective dealers.

3. Bendial80

Bendial80 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Malarkey @ Jul 30 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]487692[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I'm going to see if I can go trade it in for a Matrix...I was really happy with my Corolla and the only reason I went with a Prius was because I needed a hatchback (and the gas mileage was a nice bonus too). I think I'd be happy with a Matrix, and the 2008 Fielder just looks hideous (from pics I've seen).

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm really sorry you had a bad experience. I can imagine that, if it were me, I'd be really unhappy. Fortunately, as the poster above stated, you can probably get very very close to what you paid for it right now. So, if you're gonna trade, and you're sure the Prius is not the car for you, you should trade and get the car that you like. Man, life's too short....

Good luck!! No flaming here... we all just want to be pleased with the cars we purchase. :D

5. kermityfrog

kermityfrog New Member

Sorry to hear that. I m 5.5 and I feel it is fine for me.

I do have a 2003 Matrix XRS 6sp and drives it regularly. The only thing I can tell is the gas mileage and cargo space on the Prius is better...but i still love my Matrix.

I think maybe you can modify the seat to a lower position...I saw someone talking about this o this forum.

As for the braking, I think it is good. I have couple times where people cut me off for an highway exit and needs to slam on the brake. The car stop pretty fast. I am also driving a 2004 350z convertible and of course it can't compare to this Z but I still have very much of confident of it. Maybe you can try to find an empty parking lot and try out the brake. Maybe you will be find out something about it.

Resell price is still pretty high...sell it to someone who want one...

good luck

6. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm 5'1" so NO car is too small for me...except maybe that clown car they put 20 clowns in at the circus. Seriously, though, my husband is 6'4" and he's only complained about the seat being hot, not uncomfortable.

It's too bad- I love our prius! It's my hubby's car, but I'm waiting for the day I can drive it to work every now and then.

7. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bendial @ Jul 30 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]487684[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. I'd go put on a fire retardant suit if I were you. As all of the [terrible, obnoxious, farking] Oregon drivers around here say "Ah, he's from California, no wonder he can't drive."

Humm... I'm not sure that's really enough time to get 'comfy' with the car. That's only 6 or 7 tanks of gas!

Same here. However, there are modifications you can make to tilt the seat back - which makes things much nicer. Driving in traffic is generally uncomfortable. However, again, you really haven't had the car long enough to get comfy with it. It took a while for my seats to mold to my posterior. Until then, it was a little discomforting. But I looked at it as a 'new' car - something I have never had. I've always driving in 15+ year old posterior-warn-in cars.

As much as I hate to say it... I'd have to agree with the terrible Oregon drivers... :)
    Keep in mind that there is a bit of play between regen and the actual brakes touching the disks/drums. Perhaps you're just accustomed to having to mash the brakes in traffic... Leave more room so you don't have to use the brakes.

Do you need glasses? why not steer to avoid the crap in the road? And leave more room.

Na, you just don't know how to drive it yet! Give it time man! Leave more room and avoid the holes in the road.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bendial,
    It's not whether you say negative things, it's how you say them. ;)

Not every car is for every person. We here at Priuschat have steered people away from the Prius on occasion. If it's not the car for you, there's no reason attempting to force it.

Personally, I think it's great that you tried it. Hopefully you found the technology and mileage worth striving for and this will influence your next purchase. Good luck with your next vehicle.

9. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Jul 30 2007, 06:12 PM) [snapback]487743[/snapback]</div>
    Hey!! I resemble that remark!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No flames for someone being honest with a real problem. My son is 6'2" with really long legs and his knees are always coming in contact the the cruise control knob. As a result I have been down looking at the mounting of the drivers seat. Looking to see if the bolts could be removed, 4 backwards extenders put on and allow the seat to go back two more inches. That would make a huge improvement for him. It's neither simple nor out of the question. A real market exist for such a mod. May be worth a call to a couple of dealers just to double check. (It would be a real bummer if you changed the car and found out afterwards that something like this existed.) I may be asking before too long probably. Anyone out there heard of such a thing.

11. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lass @ Jul 30 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]487759[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm glad that you can laugh about it! Sorry to take this post OT... I've never had a problem with CA drivers. They drive fast... but they don't seem to be as selfish, crude, and absolutely moronic as the average Oregonian driver. I've never been honked at for driving -2 under the speed limit in CA!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Jul 30 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]487777[/snapback]</div>
    Eeeeehhhhh... It's not really a problem with the car - so much as it's the getting used to a new car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Jul 30 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]487777[/snapback]</div>
    Out of curiosity... Is the seat back all the way? Is the steering wheel tilted up? Cause... with the steering wheel tilted up there's 25 inches between the cruise control and the gas pedal. And it's a really odd angle if you were sitting in the drivers seat. Perhaps you mean the gear selector?

There have been a few people that have done this. The biggest problem is getting the HAL (Airbag sensor) to know how far back the seat is so it knows when to deploy the drivers side airbag.

Here's a PDF detailing converting an adjustable Corolla seat to a Prius seat.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&...ost&id=7228
    It's a bit over the top... but the results are stunning.

There was someone (+1 years ago) who welded some extensions on the support rails - but I can't seem to find the link now. now...

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A few have modified the drivers seat. You can do a search and see if it is worth your while to modify the driver's seat and keep the car. Given your problems I'd sure give the Matrix a thorough test drive, rent it for a few days if possible. You may find that after a few months in the Prius you'd rather put money into modifying the driver's seat than driving another car. It's that CVT. It's an insidious and silent spoiler.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Seat comfort: I have long legs on a 5'11" frame and can completely relate to the seat issue...almost thought it would be a deal breaker for me early on. But I found a 'space foam' wedge (at Sharper Image actually, but I'm sure there are other sources) that was supposed to be a lumbar support but I used it with the thick side of the wedge at the front of the seat. This gave me some of the thigh support I needed to keep my knee from being stressed from sitting with my leg at a funky angle. Please give something like that a try before giving up.

2) Brakes... they are different and take a little getting used to. I think you'll find you'll adapt to them though. Abrupt or hard braking will make them catch. In part because of the design that causes them to go directly to hydrolic braking and in part b/c the hydrolic brakes tend to be grabby when new or when they get rusty...which Prius brakes tend to do due to the fact that they don't get much use. Regen can feel soft, but with time I think you'll find that anticipating stops early and the gentle way you can nurse in the regen braking will be more of a positive than a negative. It is for me.

3) Traction/stability. Actually what you're feeling is more likely the change from regen to friction brakes...that is triggered by the pot holes in the Prius as it's read as possible loss of control situation by the computers. Again, with time I think you'll learn to anticipate the situations where this might occur, simply depressing the brake harder will get you stopped in a hurry.

4) I hope you don't get flamed here...and I don't think you will. Your complaints are not new, you state them in a level headed matter of fact way. I would encourage you to give the car a few more months, try the things I mention above and that others have and will suggest and then decide. As Tony stated, this is not the car for every one...no car is...but it's a good car and much better than a Corolla in our unbiased opinions!

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and I hope you find that the Prius is is the car you need.

14. pixeltaker

pixeltaker Junior Member

Leg room was my biggest concern when buying the Prius. I'm 6'4" and am actually quite comfortable. Certainly, if the seat could go back another inch or two, that would be better. I've driven a couple of long (450 mile) trips and felt pretty good at the end. My biggest comfort concern in most cars is lumbar supports in which I feel the Prius is only adequate - I wish is were better.

Good luck.

15. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

I have to agree with two of the items. I've had my Prius for 2 months and I'm still not comfortable with the brakes. Seems like it just doesn't have a good feel and I find myself having to put heavy pressure on the brake or I'll run into someone. I've also seen where you are slowing down and hit a bump in the road and the car seems to jump forward. I've seen this when coming off a bridge over a highway just past the bridge there is a light. When I come off the bridge there is a bump and when I'm braking for the light and then hit the bump the car seems to accelerate forward.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mindcrime67 @ Jul 30 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]487882[/snapback]</div>
    I got used to the brakes within a week. I actually like them, I guess because of the fact that I know I'm recapturing much of the energy that would otherwise become useless heat and brake dust. I switch back and forth between my Z and my Prius w/no issues.

As for weirdness w/the traction control kicking in while braking, I concur. It is odd at best. I don't think it really accelerates forward but it at least seems to briefly not brake...

17. Spoon

Spoon New Member

This is the stuff I like to read when I am thinking about buying a car. You can't go to a site like this or walk up to a car owner and say "hey, I'm thinking about buying one of those. Do you like it?" almost everyone will say yes. They didn't buy it because they hated it. Granted, there are times when ppl buy a car because they NEED are car and had a budget and ended up not being totaly happy. Almost everyone has done it.
    If I hadn't seen this post I may not have come across any other posts that talked about the breaking being different than other cars. Although I kind of assumed it might be different.

18. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not happy with my 2007 Prius either. The mileage is nothing like they claim it gets. The interior plastics are cheap. The center console is very wiggly. The passenger seat squeaks and the TSB didn't fix it. I don't understand why I had to purchase a ScanGauge 2 just so I could monitor the engine coolant temperature and rpms. Not to mention the poor dash lighting and non adjustable steering wheel lighting. Toyota dropped the ball on this one and I fell for the hype enough to purchase one.

19. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Jul 31 2007, 05:26 AM) [snapback]487914[/snapback]</div>
    It's good to hear also from owners who are not satisfied with the car.

1. The old mileage claim was unreal for normal driving. The new estimate is adequate and can be achieved.

2. Even the Yaris has better quality plastics and upholstery.

3. My center console wiggles only when you push hard and wiggle it on purpose.

4. My passenger seat does not squeak.

5. Tachometers in most newer cars with rev limiters and automatic transmisions provide very little useful information. Many newer cars, like the Prius, do not include a water temperature gauge, only a warning light.

6. Dash and steering wheel lighting are fine for me.

The Prius has its share of disadvantages (you forgot to mention the $160 12v battery), but then there's the smart entry, cruise control, climate control, shiftless transmission, 48 mpgs, hatchback convenience, programmable rear view mirror...

20. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Jul 31 2007, 05:26 AM) [snapback]487914[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what TSB is out, curious to look at it, but OUR passenger seat rattled and squeaked very, very annoyingly since day one. That first weekend I went out to locate the source of the squeak and YES, found the area it was emitting from. Down near the bottom right rear of the front seat, if you were in the rear seat, looking forward at the back of the front seat. It turned out to be a stripped thread sheet metal screw (black, philips, about 1/4" long) that held the bottom right molded plastic to a metal tab on the seat frame. I could have done two things at that point, (1) jamb a larger thread screw in place of the partially stripped screw, or (2) what I actually did, remove the partially stripped screw which was plenty long, add two small (#4?) flat washers and re-insert and tighten the screw to let it now grab to a part that was not stripped. THIS WORKED just fine and NO MORE squeaks, rattle, annoyances.............. guess I was "lucky" on this one !!