1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad first service!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Edward3, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Edward3

Edward3 New Member

I am really pissed at my dealership! Took my beautiful new Prius for a first 5000 miles service last Saturday and got the worst service ever!

When rotating the tires the air pressure was not equalized and checked, I did ask for this when submitting the car but it was not done. I had to do it myself.

When the car was returned to me I had OIL STAINES all over the front seat and surroundings, and had to ask for the service manager to clean it!

The “next service interval†sticker with the mileage for the next service was written for me to come back after 3200 miles, when the car service policy clearly ststes its only needs to be done every 5000. I did ask the service manager to fix it and he apologized and gave me a new one that was wrong again!

The oil was over filled above the recommended level and I found oil spills on the engine.

I spend almost 3 hours messing around on this first service when it should only take an hour.

I NEVER encountered such a sloppy service before. I must say that I am deeply disappointed and also worried that these are only the visual problems. What about the service that I haven’t observed? This completely shook my trust in the Toyota service level. And that’s after buying the Toyota premium service plan! i feel like my car was violated by service apes!

Do you have any tips what else should i check, or where should i complain?

Ha, and please stay away from Leesburg Toyota service in Northern VA

:guns:

2. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Complain to the service manager and the general manager to start. Sounds like your service should be comped, at least.

There is special training for Prius service techs - make sure that only a Prius-trained tech works on your car.

Dealers are going to learn very quickly that many Prius owners are going to pay far more attention to service details than most other car owners. If they don't get it right the first time, there won't be a second time.

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Same goes for Rancho Santa Margarita Toyota of Orange County in Socal. It's a fabulous place to buy a Prius, but fear the service department.

4. Edward3

Edward3 New Member

Thanks jfh3. I did complain and they did the service again today, this time with there best tech. guess what - the oil was overfilled! and now they are replacing the center console because of the oil staines.

This is better, but i am still disappointed from the level of service. My Honda delaer treats my CRV much better then Toyota treats my Prius...

5. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

My dealership also left grease stains and various scratches around the inside area. Furious but calmly, I pointed out each and every area that was soiled and scratched. I flat out told him the quality of the work SUCKS here. He ordered new parts for those that were soiled - this included a new top for the center armrest, a new arm rest for the drivers side door and a new plastic trip for the display (which had been gashed on the right side).

Now, I understand these guys are busy trying to fix mechanical things and are getting dirty just doing their job, but c'mon Toyota - put some blanketly blank blank covers, sheets, plastic, whatever, over the interior, will ya?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That sounds like an induvidual dealership problem, not a company wide problem. There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy with their place of service. Check around and ask for recommendations. I wouldn't go back if you got bad service, it's only asking for more bad experiences. Once you find a place you trust, stick with them and spread the word so others get good service too.,

Unfortunately if you go to a place with an express lube, the chances of anyone being Prius-trained are near zero. These guys usually aren't even ASE certified...

7. geminirat

geminirat Junior Member

I have been following all of the posts about first service experience and "bad first service" describes what I just went through at my Toyota dealership in Dearborn, MI. I told the service rep to make sure the oil was not overfilled and specified the tire pressure at 40 front and 38 rear.

I didn't think I would have to be as specific or assertive as some of my fellow Prius owners have related. The rep assured me that my car would be serviced by their experienced Prius mechanic.

My car was ready in 30 minutes and am I ever glad that that I checked the oil level before I left. I was shocked to find the oil filler cap on the ledge beneath the windshield! The oil was overfilled by 1/4 inch and the tire pressure, well - let's just say I gave them the benefit of the doubt because the tires were warm.

I received nothing more but apologies so I rated them as unsatisfactory on the post card supplied.

Here I go again removing excess oil with the ball squeeze pump I rigged with aquarium tubing - the same thing I had to do upon delivery when it was 3/8 inch overfilled. I hope I never have any major problems in the future.

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experience, if you expect to see change, you have to reduce your experience to writing and send it to the owner of the dealership with a copy to Toyota Customer Relations.

Merely speaking with the Service Manager is not going to solve the problem becasue it never gets to his boss, who will make sure that it does not happen again. Service Managers are responsioble for making sure that cars are serviced properly and their employees are doing the job correctly.

So, take the time to write a simple letter with your experiences and mail it to the owner and Toyota Customer Relations. A word of caution, don't personalize it, keep it fact based and objective.