1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Gas in Washington

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by hdrygas, May 22, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In case you have not heard ConocoPhillip Union 76 shipped a batch of bad gas to stations from its refinery. Most of it ended up in Skagit and Watcum counties but reports are spreading south to as far as King county. Symptoms are poor performance particularly with heavy acceleration and up hill. ConocoPhillip will fix the car. I would move to Chevron or Shell for a while. If you start having problems get help quick. There is an 800 number 1-800-527-5476.

SEATTLE --- A bad gas problem that began in Ferndale, Wash., appears to be have spread to four Western Washington counties.
    Video Clip
    Pat McReynolds reports
    More ...Custom Video ...
    The problem was believed to be contained to Skagit and Whatcom counties. But by Saturday, dealers in Snohomish and King counties were getting complaints from drivers who have recently filled up at stations supplied by the ConocoPhillips refinery in Ferndale.
    Dealerships from Kirkland to Burlington were being swamped with calls. To some, the bad gasoline has been annoying, while to others it has been downright dangerous because it can affect the car's ability to accelerate.

AP
    ConocoPhillips said a heavy polymer accidentally made its way into gas delivered to Union 76 stations and independent stations in Whatcom and Skagit counties.
    Nancy Shen was stuck at her home in Kirkland Saturday. Her car was in the shop getting its fuel drained. It stalled when she tried to cross a busy intersection.
    "It was a little freaky because there was a car behind me and it started rolling backwards and I had to keep trying to get up the hill," she said.
    Dave Dick's car is fairly new and usually problem-free. But last week the engine light came on and his troubles have only gotten worse.
    Resources
    More info
    Dealerships list
    ConocoPhillips is still investigating how the residue got into its gas. Even though a spokesman said the problem still lies in north Puget Sound, the company wants to do right by its customers.
    "Our biggest concern here is we want to do the right thing and we don't want anyone to feel that, ‘I'm not in these two counties, therefore I can't call in,’†he said. “We absolutely want them to call in if they feel they've got any issues."
    If repairs are required due to this issue, ConocoPhillips will make payment directly to local authorized dealers.
    The average cost to drain the gas and change the fuel injectors in the affected cars is about $600.
    ConocoPhillips won't say how many drivers have complained.
    Drivers who think they have a bad tank of gas should take their cars to an authorized dealership for inspection or call 1-800-527-5476 for more informatio