1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Gas in Washington

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hdrygas, May 22, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would like to see that as many Washington Residents see this as possible. Most of us do not fill up often but I am not getting gas at my usual Union 76 station until this settles down a bit. Makes one wonder how often this kind of thing happens. There was that sulfur in the gas thing in Louisiana a few months ago.
    In case you have not heard ConocoPhillip Union 76 shipped a batch of bad gas to stations from its refinery. Most of it ended up in Skagit and Whatcom counties but reports are spreading south to as far as King county. Symptoms are poor performance particularly with heavy acceleration and up hill. ConocoPhillip will fix the car. I would move to Chevron or Shell for a while. If you start having problems get help quick. There is an 800 number 1-800-527-5476.

SEATTLE --- A bad gas problem that began in Ferndale, Wash., appears to be have spread to four Western Washington counties.
    Pat McReynolds reports
    The problem was believed to be contained to Skagit and Whatcom counties. But by Saturday, dealers in Snohomish and King counties were getting complaints from drivers who have recently filled up at stations supplied by the ConocoPhillips refinery in Ferndale.
    Dealerships from Kirkland to Burlington were being swamped with calls. To some, the bad gasoline has been annoying, while to others it has been downright dangerous because it can affect the car's ability to accelerate.

AP
    ConocoPhillips said a heavy polymer accidentally made its way into gas delivered to Union 76 stations and independent stations in Whatcom and Skagit counties.
    Nancy Shen was stuck at her home in Kirkland Saturday. Her car was in the shop getting its fuel drained. It stalled when she tried to cross a busy intersection.
    "It was a little freaky because there was a car behind me and it started rolling backwards and I had to keep trying to get up the hill," she said.
    Dave Dick's car is fairly new and usually problem-free. But last week the engine light came on and his troubles have only gotten worse.

ConocoPhillips is still investigating how the residue got into its gas. Even though a spokesman said the problem still lies in north Puget Sound, the company wants to do right by its customers.
    "Our biggest concern here is we want to do the right thing and we don't want anyone to feel that, ‘I'm not in these two counties, therefore I can't call in,’†he said. “We absolutely want them to call in if they feel they've got any issues."
    If repairs are required due to this issue, ConocoPhillips will make payment directly to local authorized dealers.
    The average cost to drain the gas and change the fuel injectors in the affected cars is about $600.
    ConocoPhillips won't say how many drivers have complained.
    Drivers who think they have a bad tank of gas should take their cars to an authorized dealership for inspection or call 1-800-527-5476 for more informatio

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    HEY? . . . Isn’t that stuff TOP TIER gas? :eek:
    Makes me wonder what we get 99.9% of the time. :roll:

3. Herb

Herb New Member

And I thought this was going to be a political commentary.

8)

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I stickied this thread to keep it front and center.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Up here, Shell Canada had a refinery problem a few years back that cost them plenty. Quite a few cars needed expensive work with fuel injectors and tank pumps.

This is another good reason to ask for and save gas station receipts. Even if the refinery doesn't have a problem, what happens if the gas station underground tank happens to spring a leak or the cover is loose, so a lot of water and dirt ends up in your tank?

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Speaking of Canada I hope Frank in Vancouver is OK. I have no idea how much gas goes back and forth across the border. The refinery in question is just across the boarder. They could make deliveries to Vancouver just as quickly as Seattle and King county. My wife now tells me her car is acting up. I guess we will get it checked out. I got lucky for a change, I filled up at a Chevron last time because several folks thought Chevron and Shell got better milage and I thought I would test it out by buying a few tanks of each. Sometimes you do good, sometimes you get lucky, the important thing is to know the difference.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Henry I nomal buy Chevron gas and the station I nomally use is about 1/2 mile from the refinery. When I was down in Lacey I did the whole trip down and back on less than 3/4 of a tank and did 2 day's commute to work and back. We had the Shell debacle here as well, seemed to mainly affect Chrysler products. Biggest problem was the corrosive effect that it had on the fuel gauge sender. Some stalling and plugged fuel filters and some O2 sensor problems as well. There are no Conoco/Phillip's stations here but that doesn't mean there is no cross border traffic in gasoline.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Frank points out another benefit of driving a Prius. infrequent fillups makes it very possible that most Prius owners will have seen this on the news before needing gas.

i first heard of this story on Friday night. but my last fillup was on the 14th and i will probably not get gas until Tuesday at the earliest. besides i always buy Arco so im not worried about it.

another thing to keep in mind is that the gas was also delivered to as many as a dozen different independent gas stations also.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't think it was limited to Canada. I've heard of shell having a problem from down here.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The TNT (Tacoma News Tribune) had an article this morning that the problem "may have spread to the South Sound" so if there are problems call in.

11. Frank Hudon

there was an article on the tv news tonight about cars up here getting hit with problems from the gas they bought at the 76 station in Point Roberts, and several that bought in Whatcom County. Toyota dealer in White Rock reports about 40 vehicles that needed repairs. So far no reports of the gas being delivered north of the 49th.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Any opinion on how long folks should wait to go back to the involved gas stations. There has been no word in the press that dealers with bad gas had their tanks pumped dry and replaced with good gas. Would it be fair to ask a dealer how often they are refilled? How long will it take to get the tainted gas cleared? A veil of secrecy has fallen over this thing except call the 800 number if you have a problem. Not much in addition to that. One would think that if they were pumping dealers tanks dry and cleaning them we would have heard of it?

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well many stations were tested to check for contaminants soooo, havent heard nothing yet. Arco!! i say...

actually most gas stations get gas probably at least once a week, so most would be gone by now... which means there will be a lot of people complaining.

14. Frank Hudon

and if your Canadian and are having trouble, have your car towed to a US certified dealer for repairs. If the car screwed up in Canada and you had if fixed here your SOL as far as getting compensation. Another reason to avoid Conoco Phillips.

15. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"93887)</div>
    This morning there was a story on KPLU (The local NPR dealer) about how Conoco Phillips covered up several oil spills in the Pacific Northwest. Specifically, the oil spill in the South Sound a few months ago!

16. Frank Hudon

really nice of them, eh! corporate scumbags.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that was them?

they let us blame some argentinian freighter for what they did? as much money as they make and they can not own up to their actions?

well have never bought gas from them for as long as i can remember, sure i have at some time in my life but ive been straight arco for quite a few years...

18. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 16 2005, 10:22 PM) [snapback]99235[/snapback]</div>
    Have you ever had any problems with Arco? I've heard of a few people around here complain about Arco gas in the past.

I usually only run Shell because I have a card. Ive never had any problems with shell from Grays Harbor or Pacific county.