1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad habit learned from a 2010 ...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 28, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I went in to eat lunch and left my key in the ignition and running. Of course when I left the 03, it had already shutdown. I didn't notice it until I was approaching the car to leave and the engine came on ... I noticed the daylight running lights were on ... and realized what I'd done.

Bob Wilson

2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Your post is a bit confusing. Do you mean the "key" (fob) was in your pocket, but the Prius was "on." In that case ..... it could be driven by anyone ... even w/out the "key." And, yes ... we must be careful about that. When it is "on" but the ICE is not running, it is quiet.

Today I was parked, listening to the radio. My wife approached with groceries, and I got out to assist. I heard it beep, and when I returned the radio was still playing (as it should have been). But I do not believe anyone could have gotten in and driven off.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think he means he left a key (yea, the old fashion type) in his Gen I Prius at lunch b/c he's been spoiled by the Gen III SKS.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The NHW11, our 2003 Prius, uses a key with an RFI type encoder in the 'handle' part. I simply arrived at the restaurant parking lot and not even thinking about it, put it in "P" and got out to get lunch. With the 2010 Prius, that is about all it takes as there is no 'key' to take out.

Yes, I have gotten out of the 2010 and left it on ... once. But no fault no foul as even if someone drove it off, once stopped, it would not start again.

You know this 'keyless' car operation gets to be addicitve. <grins>

Bob Wilson

5. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It took me a few weeks with my '07 Camry Hybrid to stop pulling the fob out of my pocket when I'd get in the car. Now, about once a month I forget to grab the fob as I head out to leave for work.