1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad mileage after new NimH from Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sharpdoug, Oct 27, 2022.

1. sharpdoug

sharpdoug Tig

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When my car was newer, my mileage was 49-52mpg (gas in miles out). As the performance and mpg dropped I decided to replace the battery. At 190,000 miles on my 2015 Prius, my local dealership installed a factory new battery. The new battery only came with a 1 year warranty.

After the new battery was installed, charge meter never achieved 7 bars and the mpg was 41-46. Toyota says it because my car is old. They won’t return calls and the manager just is too busy.

Step 2 I bought and installed the Neopower Li ion battery pack. Instantly I’m getting 50mpg+ with quicker pickup and 6-7 bars on the battery charge meter. The replacement and install were $1,000 cheaper than the Toyota battery with install.

So far it seems that Lithium Ion is a good choice. D9BA591E-DBAE-477A-BE70-423FF00AC6EA.jpeg

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you replaced your newly installed new NiMH battery with a Lithium Ion battery. How much did you pay, respectively, for the NiMH and the Lithium Ion batteries? Is it worth it for the a few MPG gain?

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you reprogram the ECU to let it know it's was charging a different type of battery?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Because the car is old I have a refurbed battery in my 2013 and it shows seven bars or top of the batteries all the way lit up and it does go up and down but not erratically and it seems to be doing reasonably well which it always has in this car The original battery had a 230,000 or so was given us fits so we changed it and everything's been fine ever since now that's only been about 8 months ago at most.

sharpdoug likes this.
  5. sharpdoug

sharpdoug Tig

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    $3615 for the NiMH and $2650 for the Li Ion. Both with install Li Ion was $2,250 + $400 for the install.
    Install was very easy the new pack weights 40lbs versus 82lbs. I’m a fan of the Li Ion already. I’m planning on keeping the Prius for several more years.

#5 sharpdoug, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A Toyota is supposed to get old your car's not charging its battery because it's old I just sounds really dumb but okay.

johnerh and sharpdoug like this.
  7. sharpdoug

sharpdoug Tig

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The technician did that yes. Looked for error codes none found. Was a flawless install took 2 hours and he’s going to try and sell the old-new Toyota NiMH for me to try and recoupe some of my money. This whole deal would have been worth it if i never dealt with Toyota as it is I’m losing money.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the first time anyone has said the ecu was reprogramed.
    I wonder if he just SAID he did, and just cleared any codes????

#8 ASRDogman, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Grit likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the oem is worth about 2k, and they are hard to come by. where are you located?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you mean nexpower?

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even when everything is in perfect condition, the charge meter doesn't "achieve" over 6 segments until circumstances (e.g., more than a little regenerative braking within a short time, especially with cold engine) push it over the 6-segment level the programming tends to maintain.

12. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lithium ion? I am using the lithium iron phosphate battery pack. I haven’t heard of neopower

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a load of $ to replace a battery that was still working...twice...
    No biggie, it will pay for itself in about 400,000 miles...........

14. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Measured over how many miles? I can get it to show 99.9 MPG over really short distances—to get an accurate reading one typically would need to go through at least one tank of fuel.

15. sharpdoug

sharpdoug Tig

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nexpower is the Dr. Prius battery I believe. The mileage and power are better in my car than the factory new one Toyota of Ft. Bend installed. The charge rate is better and power delivery seems excellent. I’m from Sugar Land TX. (the battery pack from Toyota it is available, if your in the Houston, Austin, Dallas or San Antonio area.)

bisco likes this.
  16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I might have tried that but they were out of supply for a year a long time and I had to have my car so I have the Toyota factory battery brand new and it should last as long as the original I hope or close

17. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, any performance improvement with the lithium ion battery?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Most of the folks with one say they're getting right at 50 mi to the gallon and they can go better up hills I haven't had any problems in the hills of North Carolina but I don't spend much time in them I'm getting between 47 and 49 with the factory Nimh battery. So I guess I'd get a mile or two per gallon better and much better hill climbing ability which I don't do so another $1,000 approximately just for the battery for a couple more miles to the gallon it would have to last a long time for payout which in theory it should but you see what's happening with all the newer cars batteries be they EV or hybrid seems to be some kind of manufacturing issue that nobody wants to cover everybody wants to point at somebody else so you spend a lot of time in limbo keep your gas car

johnerh likes this.