1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad mileage myth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DocVijay, Mar 13, 2006.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So, just to see what my Prius could do, I drove very conservatively today to see how my mileage really has been reduced by moving up to 17" wheels. If you check my link in my sig, you will see that the wheels tires I'm using are 10 mpounds heavier each, so there's 40 extra pounds of unsprung rotating weight.

Before the swap I was averaging 52 mpg on my daily 120 mile commute. After, I dropped down to aroud 42 mpg, but that was entirely due to my much higher average speeds (80 mph+) and aggressive driving style.

Now first let me qualify my conservative driving by saying it's nothing close to the way other members drive. It would still be considered very unefficient by many. However, this morning I was able to average 51.3 mpg on the first half of my drive.

So basically I only lost about 0.7 mpg.

When you consider that and that I could NOT get below 40 mpg by driving at extremely high speeds and always at full throttle acceleration, I don't understand how people are getting dismal mileage.

Anyway, that's just my experience.

2. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Wow - I'd love to see how the 17"s look - got pics? (I'll check for your earlier posts...)

As for general mileage - you are in Tampa, right? Warm temps and mostly flat? That's very different than the low 30 temps and hilly terrain I've been struggling with to get up into the 50 mpgs here...
    it was really nice this weekend to get into the 70s and not have to work so hard to get better economy. I was was getting 48 mpg without trying, mixed highway and city, but lots of hills.

Cheers!
    Dave

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I figure that your commute is mostly long distance highway. The heavier wheels would not affect your MPG as much as local city commute (due to repetitive accelleration - spin up heavier wheels). Yes, the re-gen braking may recapture some, but that is far below 100% efficient (you know that).

4. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How are calculating your mileage? If your new wheel/tire combination has a different circumference, your odometer is giving you a different distance measurement. You will get a number but it is not necessarily correct. Do you have a way to check the accuracy of your odometer? WA state has mile posts along the highway.

Allan de

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Quite right.

If the "17 inch" refers to the tyre radius and stock is 15", then there is an (17/15) underestimate by the MFD of FE = to 13%.

Addendum ... I think it is under, and not over ... but this is confusing my sleepy brain. AFAIK, the Prius computes distance by axle rotation * a presumed wheel Circ, and then divides by directly measured fuel injection. So the same real distance with a larger tyre will take a smaller angular rotation, and be falsely calculated as a shorter distance than actually traveled.

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Deleted not quite relevant post.

(Missed the 17 inch wheels part)

7. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Make your trips short in cold weather, and 30s MPG isn't hard to acheive, if that's most of your driving.

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I find it easy to break the 40 mpg barrier and get worse milage! Just take your Prius on lots of short trips. Take my commute -- one mile, over an overpass (above a train track). Poor little Prius isn't even warmed up by the time I arrive.

But is this bad milage? Probably not. My other car gets 13 mpg average over this same route!

The "correct" answer is to walk or ride my bike to work. The weather has been too bad lately, but nicer weather is coming. Then my Prius fuel economy will magically jump!

9. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The 15" or 17" would be rim diameter. Normally you use a different (lower) profile tire when upsizing the rims. Generally you can get within a couple of % of the original outside diameter. This is in the ballpark of tire pressure changes, different "same" size tires, or tire wear changes. Sites like Tirerack have calculators that will show the % gain/loss.

The main problem in plus sizing is that you are more likely to damage the rims and tires on potholes with the lower profile tires. Running higher pressures helps alleviate this. The handling is definitely improved (less side flex in the tires on cornering) and most people like the appearance (although I personally think it starts to look stupid when taken to extremes).

Most handheld GPS units give a very accurate speed and distance readout if you get a decent number of satellites locked on. This is great for evaluating how accurate your speedometer and odometer is before and after any tire change.

- Tom

10. andreaswin

andreaswin New Member

nice look .-)

and love Your mod tread!!

ive been thinking of changing weels aswell when summer starts

ive been thinking of the O.Z racing rimms , the superturismo GT

this are suposed to be superduper light :)

friend of mine had older model on his alfa romeo , and they were amazingly light

http://www.ozracing.co.uk/Superturismo_gt.htm

just have to get the spec on them and se if they fit and exact weight

cheers

Andreas

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's baffling ain't it? I'd really like to go on a ride-along with someones who's in the low thirties or high twenty's. It would be really interesting to see what factors could lead to such low numbers.

12. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you answered your own question without realizing it. "Daily 120 mile commute".
    How many people do that? I drive 7.5 miles each way, and the first third I get about 25 mpg. Then the engine is warm and I get 50 or better the rest of the way, but so far it averages in the low 40's. Add a couple short drives in town over the weekend and it can easily drop below 40. And this is despite the fact that I drive conservatively, on a mixed suburban route with occasional stops, but not a lot of traffic tailgating me (so I can practice the P&G on the low rolling hills) and no >55 mph stretches.

But two other things I should mention. I bought my car last month, so it isn't broken in yet, and so far the temperature is in the low 30's during the day and mid 20's at night (Fahrenheit). I imagine after the first oil change and the warm weather that started last week it should be improving noticeably. And a longer commute would help my mileage claim, altho I would just end up burning more gas.

nerfer

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Wow, lot's of responses. Yes, I admit that my long commute does infact help quite a bit in getting good numbers. However, a good portion of hte morning half or my commute is severe stop and go driving, with traffic rarely getting over 20 mph. If the weight of the wheels had that much of an effect, this part of the driving would greatly decrease my mileage. In this situation, if I drove to maximize the hybrid properties, I would try and exclusively use electric power, but if I were to do so, I would lag behind greatly when traffic makes it's momentary spurts of motion. With this traffic, I would have 50 other cars jump into the space left by using electric only. Becuase of this I pretty much always use a good amount of throttle to stay close enough to the car in front. This also should hurt my mileage quite a bit due to the heavier wheels.

But it doesn't. My drive home usually takes me about an hour. The drive in the morning usually take two. Same drive, but significantly more traffic in the morning, yet I was still able to get 49-51 mpg either way.

So for me the long drive is obviously a factor in the good numbers, but I have other factors that shold greatly reduce them as well.
    -stop and go traffic vs. wheel weight
    -wider tires and great rolling resistance
    -less than economical driving style

So I'll say it again. I find it hard to believe that people are getting such bad mileage. If I can drive 70 miles at an average speed of 80-85 mph, and still not get below 40 mpg... Now I understand that cold temps, hills/mountains, short trips and so on can reduce numbers. But I also make short trips all the time. The gorcery store, my kids daycare, and many other things are all within 5 miles of my house. I make plenty of short trips with a cold engine. But I still get good mileage.

I agree with tripp and would like to do a ride along with some of these people getting such low numbers.

Oh, here's a pic of my dsiplay after the drive yesterday.

Attached Files:

• MPG.jpg
      MPG.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see bit of information on your MFD that, in my mind, explains it all.

Outside Temp. 84F

Living in a moderately cold climate, I can say that I've been AMAZED at how much better my mileage has gotten in the past couple days (when it's been somewhat warmer).

15. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too drive regulary 80 mph and am averaging 46.5 overall. Along with warm Florida temps, I credit following others at a moderate distance for at least 5 mpg at 80 mph.

My question is, Why Toyota didn't include ave speed next to ave mpg?

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I have a similar MFD photo showing 50+ MPG...for 4 months during summer! Have to agree with the temp being a MAJOR factor. Even going downhill here when it's 10 degrees F, I rarely see 50 MPG.

Must move south....must move south...

17. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You call 5 miles a short trip, I call a short trip 1 mile. In the congested big-city Northside of Chicago, everything is close. I drive to Target, the grocery store and dry cleaners since it's hard to carry big & heavy things. The colder it gets in the winter, the more likely I am to drive a short distance. A double whammy ! - more short trips and colder weather.

While it doesn't happen too often, I've had a few tanks in the 37-39MPG range. Overall, my lifetime average is about 45MPG, mostly because an occassional road trip carries more mileage "weight" - lots of miles in one trip vs. lots of trips with low miles.

In short, it's entirely possible to get less than 40MPG. If you're baffled, make a road trip to Chicago, maybe Boston or NYC, and make some short drives around town. Your experiences may be different, that doesn't make others' less believable.

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I doubt that the temperature is the only thing giving me better mileage. Even when it was 40 degrees colder, I was still getting well above 45 mpg on the same drive, with temp being the only change. The temp caused maybe a 10% change in mileage.

However, even on the coldest days (often below 40 degrees when I'd leave in the morning, lowest was 26 degrees), I still never dropped as low as others are claiming. It has always been above 40 mpg, even at it's coldest and at my most inefficient driving. Cold temps will affect mileage in any car, not just a Prius, but it does seem to affect them more than others. Also, a block heater shold then mitigate most of the cold weather effects if that were the case.

Also, at what point does the benefit from increased temps diminish? At 90 degrees, at 100 degrees? Should I expect another 5 mpg once it gets to be 95 degrees every day? Probably not, but it's be nice.

Temperature is a factor, moreso than in other cars, but I don't think that alone will get you into the upper 20's for mileage.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    temperatures play a HUGE part as long as AC is not used. the higher the temps. the better the mileage. i have tons of data on this.

20. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, Doc, the other thing that I would imagine that you've got going for you is FL flatness. Your car can more easily maintain your target speed with fewer kWs. That allows you to have long periods of uninterrupted 50+ MPG. I bet that's more important than the temps (as you mention also).