1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bad module in block 8 didn't show on OBD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by k1ngn0thing, Mar 26, 2018.

1. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    diagnostics showed block 7 wasn't charging properly and was significantly lower than others after a full whole-pack reconditioning. I got two refurb modules from Hybrid Automotive to swap them out. After yanking the pack out and testing each module's voltage with a meter, the only one that was significantly lower (at least a whole volt) was #15, which is in block 8. I replaced block 14 with both "new" modules and used one of the ones replaced in place of the bad #15, basically just taking a guess which one of the two, if either, is good. Both voltages were in line with the rest of the pack, and the car's been sitting cold for at least 2 days. It got cold so the pack isn't back in yet. Is there a simple way to load test these modules? Could module 15 have been read as part of block 7 somehow?

EDIT: I counted backwards.

EDIT2: Does anyone know the proper torque for the 4 long end bolts and the module screws on the bottom?

recon.jpg

#1 k1ngn0thing, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You start counting block 1 from the opposite end of where the electronics/relays are located. I think you're counting on the wrong end. That's why you have block 8 instead of block 7

Raytheeagle and k1ngn0thing like this.
  3. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    ahaha... that's what I get for listening to a youtube video. that's a relief.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Module screws on the bottom are good at 48 inch pounds. (3 ft-lb)
    The 4 long bolts that clamp the modules together just need to be tight, as the tubes will limit the compression to the proper distance. If you need an exact value, just look up recommended torque value for the thread size. M8 x 1.25 calls for about 19 ft-lb.

Let me back up a minute, 19ftlb is for the higher grades. Most likely the bolts used are junk, so stick with about 7 ft-lb. I'll have to dig one up and see what grade it is.

OK, my eyes are blurry now trying to find numbers for the markings. I looked at a few. A Gen 2 has 4 lines on the head (3 at top, one at bottom, looks like a palm tree) the other, a 2013, has 2 dots on the head. Can't really find anything for either one, so here's my technical analysis:

I know my 18v Ryobi impact driver usually cannot loosen these bolts when initially disassembling a battery, but my Dewalt 20vMax impact driver has no problem. That alone tells me they torque the **** out of them at the factory, so go ahead and make em as tight as you want.The important thing is that you have them tight up against the tubes.

#4 TMR-JWAP, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    k1ngn0thing likes this.