1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Muffler?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by nitewolfgtr, Mar 24, 2009.

1. nitewolfgtr

nitewolfgtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I have a bad muffler...

Whenever I drive my car, I have a loud but mellow noise coming from the rear. Could this be a sign of bad muffler?

Also, can Prius take any generic muffler or does it have to be a specific muffler made for Prius?

I have a 2001 Prius.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably you have a hole in the exhaust system. If the muffler is the problem you can buy the correct part for $223 MSRP (or $170 plus shipping from Champion Toyota.)
    Champion ToyotaWorld

I'd recommend caution regarding the use of aftermarket exhaust parts due to fit and function issues.

3. nitewolfgtr

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does the muffler on prius typically go bad?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. I suggest you look under your car to see why it is making so much noise.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Another source to contact for Prius parts/reasonable prices is MetroTPN in Cleveland

(unpaid advertisement :)

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check the web but a standard test for a bad muffler is while the engine is running (you may need to turn on MAX AC,) is to hold a wad of cloth to block the exhaust and listen for exhaust gas leaking ... a hissing sound. Be safe and wear gloves too ... NOT PLASTIC GLOVES!

I'll be interested in what you discover.

Bob Wilson

7. nitewolfgtr

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it might be a bad rear wheel bearing. I had my exhaust checked by a mechanic and he said everything looks fine.

When I'm driving, I hear humming and roaring sound from the rear. The noise gets louder as I drive faster. I can hear the noise whether my engine is running or not.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A new thread on wheel bearing checking has just been posted on PC. If you have a jack (ideally of slightly better quality than the included one), testing the rear wheels for free rotation is not hard at all.

9. OldMage

OldMage RWD Celica freak, Prius "collector"

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the tread on the tires. Run your hand along the inner & outer "shoulders", both directions, to check for "feathering" or "cupping" of the tread. Feathering feels like 1 edge (leading or trailing) of the blocks is higher than the block next to it. Cupping is usually spread over a few blocks, and feels "wavy" (tread blocks are worn in a rising/falling pattern). Those would point to an alignment issue. Tires worn by bad alignment are often quite noisy.

Try rotating your tires, see if it changes...