1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad stereo?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by saelee39, Nov 5, 2007.

1. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I just bought a '04 Prius over the weekend. It is a base model, that comes with a cd player not equip with navigation. It has 20k mikes and no warranty. However, I noticed that:

1. the energy monitor takes a while to load up, is this normal?
    2. the energy monitor freezes and shuts off and functions only at times.
    3. stereo system cuts outs.

while driving:
    1. when stereo is on, the monitor reads "audio off"
    2. when A/C is on, is reads "check ac connections"

Does this mean that I need a new deck? Im still waiting for the dealer to call me back since it is at the shop to get a diagnosis. However, I will keep you guys updated. Thanks...

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saelee39 @ Nov 5 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]535138[/snapback]</div>
    These are the classic symptoms of an MFD (Multi Function Display) gone bad.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I unplugged my factory radio I had similar symptoms. By using the 68ohm resitor mod I was able to restore the MFD function. I never tried plugging the AC plug back into the factory radio (without the power plug connected) to see if the condition contiued. IE, does the radio have to have power or be functioning properly to allow the MFD to function properly?

I'm only writing this because I would not automatically rule out the radio being bad and assume it is the MFD.