1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad windshield replacement job

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dr_d12, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why didn't I go to the dealer?

I had to replace my windshield after a rock chip spidered across my feild of view. I just got back from a national windshield replacement place (recommended by my insurance company), and they made quite a mess!

My biggest concern is that the rubber seal of the left "cowl top ventilator louver" doesn't touch the windshield anymore and I'm worried that they didn't use the right spacers or dams and didn't get the right distance between the glass and the body.

Because of that, I looked closer and see the cowling clips were replaced by some loose-fitting interior upholstery snaps, and that they broke and lost most of the clips holding the rubber seal between the hood and cowl (it looks like they tore it off and added a glob of sealant as glue).

It also looks like they used the wrong rubber moulding (or re-used the old one?) becuase it's rounded in the top corners leaving spaces for water and rust. It's supposed to touch the roof dripside moulding.

I went back to complain, and they ran around trying random loose clips in these holes until I told them they should order the right ones. The rest they ignored or said "it was like that". You'd think they'd be apologetic but they weren't too nice about such an un-professional job.

The insurance company agreed to not pay the invoice until I have time to get someone at the dealer to tell me what needs to be fixed. I'm hoping the insurance will pay the dealer to fix it, instead of going back to these idiots at apple.

Well, that's my rant, thanks for listening.

2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm only in my 20s (for the next 30 years), but have had lots of windshields replaced. For some reason, I seem to attract guys in big pickups who want to jam in front of me, jam on their brakes and kick rocks up to my windshield.

I have used a local glass company for a long-time. Those guys know me. They are about $30-$40 more than the "Big National" places, but about $70 or $100 less than the other local glass places.

They are about $120 less than the local Toy dealer. They have always done the best job. Once they told me that they could just fix the problem with a simple repair, rather than replace the windshield AT NO COST.

And they also fixed a second rock chip at the same time.

So, I am locked onto the local guys. If you can find a local glass shop to work with I think you will be much better served than the dealer.

Kristi

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Insist the dealer be the one to fix it, and let the insurance company deal with the substandard shop. After all, THEY recommended them, and your job is not their quality control department. You simply deserve to have your car fixed right. And right means DEALER now.

4. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a closer look today and found they broke the mounting clips built into the cowl ventilator cover. I don't see how this can be repaired without a replacement part.

I stopped by the dealer and he's worried the windshield wasn't properly installed, but can't tell without sending it to his glass place. When the insurance company opens on Monday I'll make the case that the dealer should fix it. Those apple guys will just glue the broken pieces in place with black sealant!

The funny thing is one of the windshield guys was bragging about the expensive cars "with buttons" they work on when I dropped the car off and offered to show him where to stick the FOB. Then when I picked it up he didn't know how to put it in park.

5. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Call your insurance and see what they want to do. If the shop did unsatisfactory work, I'd push for the insurance company to take it up with them, and see what they want to do. Maybe have the same shop do the work again. I'd give them a chance, perhaps the tech that did it was a moron.

If a second chance doesn't get it right, call the insurance again and tell them you want the dealer to do the work.