1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Baghdad: Hell on Earth (check the daily temps)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, Jul 2, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

This is not hot news (well, I guess it is in a way), but around Memorial Day I started noticing the daily high temps in Baghdad in my paper. For the last couple of weeks the LOWEST high has been 104; the highest 114.

Take a minute and think of what it must be like to be a fully armed soldier in Baghdad (especially during the current intense, hair-raising operation aimed at actually SECURING every neighborhood in the city). Serving in Baghdad is scary enough when it's 70 at night. With all the protective gear those people wear, and the arms they carry (and I don't believe the Army uniform includes shorts) I don't think most of us can appreciate what those folks are going through.

Politics aside, I just want to point that out. Where I live in CA is bad enough: we usually get 30 days per summer when it's 100 or over, with our record highs for both July and August at 114. I know I get cabin fever just staying inside my air-conditioned home when it's over 95 every day for a few weeks at a time. I doubt most of our troops get "air-conditioned breaks"...or daily showers...or many iced drinks

Next time we invade a country, let's make it one in a temperate zone.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jul 2 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]280311[/snapback]</div>
    Well said, and I fully agree....

I've noticed something similar down here in Florida... cops walking around wearing all that body armor when it's 90+ and HUMID... of course, i don't think it really matters at that point, whether or not it's a "dry" heat or not... either way it's gotta suck...

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, but it's dry heat. :blink:

4. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Supposedly, it gets up to 140°F in the latter part of August but I don't think it ever really gets much above 120°F. At night, when the low would get down into the nineties, it actually felt cold.

Although the heat was bad, to me, the flies were worse. They were everywhere, all the time, and they were aggressive, flying directly into your face. If I could have gotten rid of one thing while I was there, it wouldn't have been the heat, it would have been the flies.

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 2 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]280349[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for everything. :)

6. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 2 2006, 10:11 PM) [snapback]280345[/snapback]</div>

Thhhbbtt! :p

Dry, yeah, but once it clears 105F, it just two damn hot. I used to think I had it rough just walking to and from my car in Phoenix until I tried to imagine doing it all day while shlepping 50+ pounds of gear. Man, I'm greatfull for all those serving.

On the up side of the "dry heat," 90F at night actually feels kind of nice.