1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bait & Switch, Prius Style

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by quagmire0, Aug 9, 2006.

1. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

So, about two weeks ago I find a dealer who is supposedly getting a Black Prius w/ HG Package in about 2-3 weeks. Earlier this week I emailed him because I hadn't heard anything and he was supposed to be sending me a letter with the info on the car. He replies that he's still waiting to hear from Toyota. I get a call tonight at 8:30pm. Not only is the car another 3 weeks out (ok, no biggie, it happens) but the package is wrong - it's an which is about $1400 more.

Now, many people will say, take it anyway, get it while you can, it's not that big of a deal. But the fact is, I'm too much of an inner scrooge to let this slip. It's bad enough I'm paying MSRP, but now I have to pay for features I'm not going to use?

+Bluetooth - nifty, good in the future, but I don't have a bluetooth phone.
    +JBL w/6 disc - who needs a 6 disc? Theres an aux input for an mp3 player!
    +Alarm - don't want it.
    +Homelink - don't need it.

Sorry, I know people have jumped through enormous hoops and payed any price to get these cars, but that's just not me. I'm the kind of person that thinks paying an extra $24 a month for the next 5 years is a big deal. I guess i'm crazy. :rolleyes:

2. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

your Profile says you have a 2006 pkg 4, when in fact you dont. dont count your chickens before they are hatched !

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And when it gets here in FIVE weeks it won't even be black.

Take a page out of the many other books on Priuschat.

Start contacting dealers in your area in ever widening circles until you find the color and package you want already here. You may need to travel and drive back. Use the internet, e-mail the internet managers. Use toyota's build a car and get the phone numbers of all of the dealers within a reasonable distance. (100 miles? 300 miles?)

This guy is already late and already got the package wrong. There is no guarantee he won't be even more late and have the wrong color too. And if the car is an extra $1400 because he got the package wrong, there's no telling what port options or dealer add ons they'll try to stick you with. Run away. Run fast. Run to the phone and start calling.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, no point giving him your business if he can't get your order right.

Don't worry about the money/package thing. If you don't need it, then don't take it. No one will reprimand you for choosing what YOU want.

5. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quagmire0 @ Aug 9 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]300556[/snapback]</div>
    Bluetooth. You will use it, as most phones are going that way. And the truth is, it's better to be hands free if you are going to use the phone in the car.
    JBL w6 disc. It's for people who like to hear all the music, and not just compressed music. Of course, I am becoming part of the audiophile minority.
    Alarm. You will be glad you have it when the windows get broken in to steal your mp3 player.
    Homelink. I don't use mine (yet), but I like the idea that I could if I wanted to.

Look, you don't have to listen to me, or anyone else, but why not just get the car? Even if you think you won't need those features, when you go to trade it in, in the future, you will be glad you have them, since it will raise the value of your car. Even just a bit.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patience, grasshopper, patience. Call around, get the best price for what you want, pay a deposit, and then be prepared to wait. If you want it now you will pay more for it.

7. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Aug 9 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]300560[/snapback]</div>

I did that here before I got my car. I was so excited I already had my package, options, etc. listed in my profile, 1 month before my car got here. There is a chicken hatching somewhere, and it's the correct one.

8. c4

c4 Active Member

I *really* hate the way Toyota basically lets their dealers get away with murder.. Once a dealership arrangement is obtained, the dealer has almost carte blanche to determine their own sales and service strategies.. This leads to a lot of shady dealings that basically taints the whole brand name.. Dealer blames Toyota for delays, etc and when found out and you complain to Toyota, they tell you that all their dealers are independent and they have no control over their activities.. Well, they may be independent, but they still have the Toyota name plastered all over the place and they are the "public face" that buyers see.. You would think that Toyota corporate would be concerned about this because although people are still buying their cars despite the dealers, this can't last, especially as the company grows and quality is impacted (as it already has been); soon people will get fed up with the poor dealership experience and if the vehicles no longer live up to their legendary reliability, no longer seeing any benefit to buying a Toyota, they will go with competing brands.. This may not happen in the near future, but it will happen.. I mean one bad dealership, fine, but if you're going around to a dozen dealerships to find one that's half decent, that's a very bad sign.. Somebody up the chain has got to crack the corporate whip and get these guys to smarten up..

I've only ever dealt with Toyota, but how do other vehicle brands do their factory/dealer relationship?

9. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quagmire0 @ Aug 9 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]300556[/snapback]</div>
    I definitely agree with everyone who says you're wise to look around. It's the "once burned, twice shy" rule.

As far as those extras, you have valid reasons for not wanting them now. There are many after market ways of dealing with Bluetooth, for example. You could have a headset or a indoor car unit that attached to the visor for under $100. Plus, leaving Bluetooth on all of the time costs you in terms of phone battery life.

Buy what *you* want. It's your $24/mo. <_<

10. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

Quick update - the dealer got back to me and they did, in fact, find an HG model for me. They are probably swapping with another dealer. Good stuff. So a (hopefully) happy ending after all. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quagmire0 @ Aug 10 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]300849[/snapback]</div>

As far as putting all my eggs in one basket...can you blame me? :D

Anyway, I feel better about working with this dealer now that they took the time to find what I wanted.

11. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Aug 10 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]300779[/snapback]</div>

Basically, all dealerships are independant of the factories. Each dealer can do what they want; sometimes it benefits them, sometimes it helps you.

When my grandfather sold Graham-Paige motorcars in the 20s and 30s, the factory dictated everything on the deal, all he could do was adjust the trade. Back then, he could only sell one brand at that one dealership; not like today, where a Toyota guy could also sell Fords. (Laws were subsequently passed in the 1930s or 40s that stopped the factories from penalizing the dealers.) And, for every new Prius sold at MSRP+, I am certain that someone else is selling a Sequoia at something under MSRP.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Aug 9 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]300682[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the alarm won't stop a thief from stealing the mp3 player. If he breaks the glass, climbs in or reaches in and takes stuff, the alarm won't go off. It'll only go off if he unlocks the door from the inside or forcefully unlock it from the outisde.

It's the Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS) that would sound the alarm if the window is tapped or broken.