1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Baiting Iraqis...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Sep 25, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070925/ap_on_...wfWL0Av.xEE1vAI

Abu Ghraib, Haditha, now baiting? Are these a few bad soldiers? I don't think so. I think it is it something that regular people can be pushed to do when under incredible pressures of war fighting invisible enemies. C'mon, even if you're for the war, is this what we are really signed up for when we gave Bush the greenlight to go into iraq? The road to hell is often paved with good intentions. Let's not sell our soul for this endeavor.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Even in this situation though, a person has to know when something is wrong. If this were a widespread order, I can't believe no one stood up and said "this is wrong" and did everything they could to expose it. I know i would.

That said, you're right - it is possible to push people into situations they normally wouldn't do. It's entirely possible that someone not too far up their chain of command decided this would be a "good thing" and ordered a smaller group of people to start doing it. I just can't see this being a wide spread thing.

Now, on the other hand if they put this stuff out in the open, waited for someone to pick it up and then tracked them back home or to their base of operations, i could see that as being a perfectly acceptable wartime exercise. At least that way, you can get real evidence against someone. Who knows, a guy walking down the street might see it and pick it up not knowing what it is, and pitch it in the next trashcan he finds. Or he might recognize it and walk down to the local police station or army barracks or whatever to turn it in. The simple act of picking something should only result in the use of deadly force if that item presents a clear and immediate danger to the soldiers (like someone picking up a gun).

3. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 25 2007, 02:28 AM) [snapback]517308[/snapback]</div>
    First, the alleged crime has nothing to do with the allegation of "baiting".

Second, the Army denies it has such a program in effect - although I could see the usefulness of it.

Third, it is hard to imagine what position these men were in - just a few of them in a very hostile arena and now with their cover blown - and one of the natives is a young boy.

I am not sure how you start to blame President Bush for this - but that is your prerogative.

I would also like to note how many hundreds of thousands of US soldiers have served in Iraq and Afghanistan and you can mention but one or two "atrocities" -- and I am not sure of the validity of the Haditha incident... tell me what the final outcome of the investigation/trial was.

Perhaps you can mention of post once or even occasionally atrocities committed by our enemies there?

I would suggest the enemy is not that invisible - we are killing them by the boatload. Thats why [Democrat] OBL and his merry henchman keep releasing tapes telling us to leave.

It is my belief that being about 4 years into this war those there knowingly and willingly signed up for duty or re-enlisted.

How are we selling our soul here? Are not these men being tried for alleged crimes? I cannot recall our enemies trying their "soldiers" for crimes they committed - unless of course in your opinion they can operate by a different standard than US troops?

War is war - I am not sure what you are referencing about the conduct of war above. You might have a tough time finding a war in which the conduct of an Army has been as good as ours in this conflict - give it a go.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 27 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]518629[/snapback]</div>
    That's right. War is war. That's why we should only use it as means to solve problems as a last resort. This war was not a last resort. I certainly doubt saddam was going to invade america anytime soon. And it has created infinitely more problems than it has even come close to solving.

The army needs physicians. Why haven't you enlisted since you believe in it so much?

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 27 2007, 07:59 PM) [snapback]518747[/snapback]</div>
    Second tablet of compazine going down now..................

Lets see - who have we "attacked" that was not going to invade America Algeria, Morocco, Cuba?, Libya, Kuwait, Phillipines, ??

I think the Army needs greater minds than mine - they need people with clarity of vision, forethought, strategic brilliance, a superior grasp of military history - someone like yourself perhaps. If you truly believe what you say, join up and lead your cause and beliefs from within - certainly the people who are in harms way are the ones facing death and destruction every day - if they agree with you you can lead them to your promised land...