1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Balancing tires -- Did they screw it up?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 16, 2015.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First: Why do people live in the Midwest == Gosh this weather is miserable -- good -- got that out of my system..

So, rotated my tires. Way overdue via calendar, but not by miles...but when I pulled them off there were weights clamped on the inside of the rims. Oh, each wheel had a stick-on weight or two, also, but each one also had a clamp on put on the inside of each wheel.

Is this O.K.? Long story on the tires. Got a super deal from Sears. But, I actually made them re-do when they put clamp-on weights on the outside, but appears they may have "messed with me?"

Experts? Your opinions?

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have left-overs from lazy past installers. Go to a quality tire shop, have them removed all the old weights and wash and dry the tire/wheels assemblies...then re-balanced using one method only as required.

#2 frodoz737, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the tires don't exhibit vibration when the car is at speed, and the tread wear is even, then the tires can be assumed to be properly balanced. Most tire retailers offer to rotate the tires that they have sold and check wheel balance periodically, without further charge - so it usually is not necessary for you to do the rotation yourself.

The point of using adhesive-backed weights is so that the front face of the wheel which is visible doesn't have weights stuck to the rim which would interfere with the wheel cover, causing a cosmetic issue.

On the rear face of the wheel, if a weight is stuck to the rim, no one can see it. Unless the tires are actually unbalanced, is there a problem? I don't think so.

#3 Patrick Wong, Feb 16, 2015
  4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with Patrick.

If the tires behave well leave them alone.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi CP. The machines they use to balance tires indicate how much weight to place, where it should go around the circumference, and whether it should go on the inside or the outside. So there is nothing wrong with having weights on both sides.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and in the future, there's no need to balance tyres by the calendar. time doesn't affect them, driving does. if you're having a problem that's a different story.

and to get it out of my system, again, why does anyone live in the northeast?:cool:

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi bisco. She was rotating the tires, not balancing them. She just happened to notice what seemed like an anomaly in the balancing while rotating them.

I agree in any case that rotating is best done by mileage rather than calander, but many of us drive approximately the same miles each month, so either way can work. :)

I saw on the news tonight that you guys are having some lovely weather up there in Boston at the moment. :p

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, we're enjoying the ice dams and collapsing rooves. makes life so much more interesting!:cool:

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's typically weights on both inside and outside rims. And with alloys per the Prius stick-on weights are used for the outside rim, but you're still likely going to see clamp-on weights used on the inside rim, no?

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the responses....and I am sorry for the even worse weather in the Northeast U.S. (O.K., not really, I am just really happy it is not here!).

So, no issues with vibration or anything, so I guess all is good! Just seems to me that I had heard, read, dreamed or imagined that someone had mentioned that clamp-on weights caused the alloy to corrode or turn purple or start broadcasting coded signals to alien spacecraft..... o_O

Oh, and, yes, the wheels were fused to the hubs (?) once again. I borrowed a drill (well, not a drill, but you know what I mean) and bought a wire brush attachment and a tube of anti-seize. Once the wheels were off, I got most of corrosion off and smeared the anti-seize around pretty well.

Funny, it is always the rear wheels that fuse, never the fronts.

Hope that it works. I don't want to go through the whole hassle of getting the wheels off again.

Kris

11. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The rear wheels get to bathe in the spray kicked up by the front wheels and (to a small extent) the opposite rear wheel.

Rear tires are also much more likely to suffer punctures (thanks to the front wheels kicking debris up into proper orientation).

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Further, assuming that you need to do the tire rotation personally (vs. having Sears do it for you) there is nothing wrong with waiting until better weather arrives in April or whenever.

13. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does better weather EVER arrive here. I ran a 5k a week ago in Des Moines and thought the air I was breathing was laced with icicles!!

As for Sears doing the rotation, I sort of was discouraged when they screwed up the original install. Then there is the whole "woman has to show she knows how to do it thing." Of course, I really don't know how to do it, but at least I try and curse...or is that cry and whine. :cry:

Plus, when I do it, I actually pry all the rocks out of the tread, which I know is not really necessary, check the tread and sidewalls and look at the stuff under the car -- not that I know what I am looking at most of the time, but at least I DO know if I see a rubber boot is ripped or a panel is sagging down that it is something that needs further evaluation.

I don't trust the minimum wage guys at Sears to do that -- not that they are not nice guys, not that they don't try their best....but...

And, the last time I had a "real mechanic" in Oregon rotate my tires, he charged me $40....not that was unreasonable. I mean up on the hoist, total under car inspection, also, but, if I can turn my fingers blue and rotate them myself in 14-degree weather, why not? :p

As always, Patrick, and Uart, Bisco, Mendel and the rest, thanks for the help and advice (and if I did not mention you by name, it is not that I did not appreciate your help, my brain just can't remember much more than that at one time)

Oh, and regarding help/advice, while always appreciated, not so sure about the push I got from Patrick awhile back about moving to Iowa....BRRRRRRRR:rolleyes:

#13 cyberpriusII, Feb 16, 2015
    uart likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's good to look over the tread, pull out the pebbles stuck in there. Kinda like the dentist scaling your teeth. In the process you might something that's not just a rock, meta or glass bit, potential leaker. Trouble with the high hourly rate pros: they don't sweat the small stuff, that occasionally can be important.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great! I take it then, that this tire rotation in 14 degree F weather is just a small part of your personal fitness program.

I agree and do the same, although I wait for pleasant weather to do this. This potentially is a way to find a nail in the tread before the tire actually becomes flat, I have managed to find an embedded nail this way a few times over the years, prior to the tire actually starting to flatten.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why do i live in a place where the air hurts my face?:unsure:

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Further, even though you're south of me, and on the coast (similarly), the climate is insanely different right now? Was around +15C here today, and sunny. Part of it obviously 'cause our prevailing winds come off the Pacific, while yours come across country in deep freeze. ;)