1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Banned Baby Names

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Mar 9, 2007.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've had enough. I'm placing a moratorium, effective immediately, on the following baby names:

Aiden
    Jaiden
    Braiden
    Caiden
    Hayden
    Peyton

If one more person tells me they named their kid one of these names, and then looks at me as if they think they are clever, I will punch them in the face on the spot.

Here are some general guidelines when naming your child.

-No girly names for boys. Nothing good can come of it. They following are now banned:
    -Tristan
    -*aiden (see above)
    -Tyler

-No stripper names for girls. Nothing good can come of it. They can pick out their own stripper name later in life when they become a stripper.
    -Sierra
    -Sienna
    -Savannah
    -Dallas
    -Mercedes
    -Bunny
    -Bambi
    -Raven

-Careful with the alliteration. (Famous bad examples follow).
    -Kirk Kerkorian
    -Tommy Thompson

-Give the kid an adult name, a presidential sounding name is okay.
    -William Jefferson Clinton

-Don't let the last syllable confusingly roll into the next syllable. Check this:
    -Megan Nicks (Sounds like meganix)

-No last names as first names:
    -Sawyer
    -Jackson
    -Jefferson
    -Cooper

-No names that make the person sound dumb or little:
    -Duffy
    -Jim Bob
    -Ricky Van
    -Mimi

-No pretentious names:
    -Pegasus Ezekial

Here is the worst baby name ever:

http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals/stf33...?babyID=h33-440

If you have any doubt about the name, just ask me, I'll tell you yes or no, or maybe just punch you in the face.

Nate

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 9 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]402979[/snapback]</div>
    There's that brings up my "What were the parents thinking" flag. I allways think of the former Minnesota Vikings coach, Bud Grant, his real name is...

-Harold Peter Grant

Guess we can all figure out why he goes by Bud! :D

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In Germany, the first name must clearly indicate the gender of the baby. For example, Dallas could not be used as it could go either way.

It's also illegal to name a baby after a notorious person. Right after 9/11, a Turkish couple was in the German courts because they wanted to name their boy Osuma.

5. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, those new "clever" unisex names are so weak.

6. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some names get on my nerves, but just because of overuse.

Madison, for example. No one was named Madison until "Splash" came out. Now it's been in the top five for girl names for the past five years. I think it's beautiful, and thought so when "Splash" came out...now I just think it's overused.

Joshua, Jacob--Way overused. Nice names, but overused.

BTW--don't punch me. I really liked all of the -aden names until they, like so much else, became overused.

I have to admit, though, that the name "Aryan Justice" is either just stupid (parents didn't know what they did) or unbelievable stupid (the parents knew exactly what they were doing). Whatever the case, I certainly feel sorry for that little girl.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My first child is due in June... I think I'll name her... Prius!

Ha ha ha! Seriously though, I'll have a daughter shortly, so obviously I'll check with the experts here before making any final decisions.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh, there's always a certain set of names for a generation.

i have one of the more popular names from the early 80s... i remember at one point there were 4 of us with the same name in my grade school class! i have a brand new niece named madison... i so saw that coming knowing my sister... but i just don't get it. why use such an overused name?

anyway that's beside the point. i think giving a name to another human being is an important thing and not to be taken lightly. some people apparently don't...

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 9 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]403010[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with the overuse thing. Who wants the same name as 3 other kids in your class? Presidential last names (Taylor/Tyler, Madison, Grant, Harrison, etc.) shouldn't even be allowed as first names. Still waiting for a Roosevelt or Nixon.

Don't mess up good boy's name by giving them the kid nickname version. I had a friend in school whose given name was Ricky, and he hated it. Insisted people called him Rick.

Some names are dying a natural death - my cousins have an Aunt Dorcas, you just don't hear that name anymore. Or my great-uncle Oxnard. But some names cry out to be used. I have in-laws with last name of Case. For some reason they wouldn't listen when I told them they had to name their second son Justin. Okay, maybe there was a reason they didn't listen... :p

10. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 9 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]403023[/snapback]</div>
    I should think so! It would be highly inconsiderate to make naterprius have to buy an airline ticket in order to fly out and punch you in the face! :p

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I went to Best Buy the other day with my buddy, and there was this kid, actually smart and knowledgeable about the televisions they had. At the end, we introduced ourselves, and he kind of got all macho, and said, "Yo, dude, I'm Tristan."

I immediately turned to my buddy, and he gave me a look, the "should we kick his nice person now?" kind of look, and I, too, felt the urge to pummel the kid, but I knew it wasn't his fault, so we let it go.

I turned to the kid and said, "Thanks, Tristan" while trying not to snicker like everyone else he mets does, I'm sure.

Name discrimination continues to haunt people later in life. Do you think "Scooter" Libby would have been convicted if he didn't have such a schmuck nickname? No, he'd be free right now, I tell you.

Poor Tristan will always feel inferior every time he introduces himself.

Think, people, think.

Nate

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ricky bobby! haha

oh dear.

did you watch Russell Peters and his take on Indian names?

"It's these people with Indian names and when they pick English names, it something that's not even close. You'll hear a guy go ' I'm rajinal but you can call me Steve!' I mean, you don't see a person with an English name go ' I'm rob but you can call me Sukdeep'"

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 9 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]403064[/snapback]</div>
    i've met a lot of people from all over the world who take on nicknames or other names, mainly because they get frustrated at us not being able to pronounce their actual names, i think.

in many cases they either have people call them some shortened version of their first or last name, or they just pick a name.

i got frustrated by being one of 4 same-namers and started going by my middle name for a while because it was just easier. i can see it.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I was in high school there was an exchange student from Iran (he insisted on calling it Persia) whose name was Asadole. When he arrived he said we could call him nice person. We explained to him why Asad would be a better choice.

The youtube link above has a woman saying that the name Pegases Ezikial is "character building." Parents like that should be required to eat cold boiled okra while listening to the audiobook version of the collected speeches of Enver Hoxha.

16. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 9 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]403094[/snapback]</div>
    Now, now, Daniel, let's not ruin the fundamentalists' assertions that hell is terrible when in fact, compared to your penance described above, hell wouldn't be a half bad place to wind up.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd like a moratoriium on apostrophes and accents.

L'Donna
    Adonté
    L'Mar
    L'Toya
    D'metry
    Santé
    Deshanntaé

You get the jist.

If you can't spell it out, forget the extraneous punctuation.

Next we'll start seeing:

Ad*nt@
    Sh@nn!
    L!d*nna.
    K!$@nn@

It is any wonder the artist formerly known as Prince is Prince again? Because you can't pronounce whatever that symbol was and it's not on any keyboard either.

I mean come on!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 9 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]403094[/snapback]</div>

We had a Vietnamese student named Phuc. We explained to him that in *this* country it was pronounced Fook. As much as he would correct us we would insist on *our* pronunciation. You can guess the pronunciation he was using.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 9 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]402979[/snapback]</div>
    Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K

Does anyone else think this sounds like a Racehorse or a pedigreed Spaniel at the Westminster?

Aryan is gonna grow up like the "boy named Sue".

BTW what do you think of Theobald Wenceslas? (Careful, Theobald was my grandfather's name and Wenceslas is a saint and my favorite Christmas carol.)

18. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 9 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]402979[/snapback]</div>
    My daughter's name is Sierra.
    I live in northern NJ.
    Bring it.

19. Loveit

Loveit New Member

Well, I can certainly understand where you are coming from!

URHINES
    Mama Mia!

It means: Your Highness! The Icy 8, I am not so sure about, but I do know what Special K is.

If anyone has any ideas, please do share!

You are right! Poor baby!

I can beat you one better. I personally know a relation by marriage whose last name is Butler.
    They name their baby boy, you guessed it! RHETT BUTLER!

Now, I know another couple whose last name is O'Hara. Thank God their baby was a boy! Because sure as shooting there would have been a SCARLET O'HARA!

20. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Mar 9 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]402987[/snapback]</div>
    One of my pet peeves: the gradual assimilation of boys names by girls, especially by changing the diminuitive 'y' to an 'i', eg Randi. Like Hilary, Morgan, Ashley, Dale, Robin, Sidney, Sean, Evelyn or Carroll. (I had a gym teacher who weighed in at 6'3", 300# who name was Carroll. Nobody said a word.)