1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Banned Dacia Commercial

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Jan 15, 2011.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dacia is a Romanian car. The commercial was banned in Europe. Too funny but no wonder:

1 person likes this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That was pretty much how it went when I picked up my Prius.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This has got me baffled. They were definitely English accents and I originally thought they were dubbed on, but no it looks like they're original. This is odd as Dacia as a brand is not sold in the UK. You sure this isn't just a funny from some comedy sketch show?

(Dacia [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_Dacia]Automobile Dacia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] are a Renault owned brand of an old Romanian car company that make cheap cars mainly for the old eastern european countries and I'm not even sure if they're compliant to be sold here).

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, looked like pretty standard new car negotiation. The salesman was little a classier that most.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Come on now! Was that a real commercial? No, I cannot believe any car maker would actually use that to promote their cars. I think it's a hoax. ... But a hilarious one! Thanks for posting it.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Huh. I assumed it was from some British sketch comedy show, but a little googling shows it is indeed real. Which, of course, makes it even more amusing.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was chauffeured around Jaipur India in a Dacia Logan for a day. The car was fairly basic but impressive. The material in the interior were nicer then my Gen III Model II. There was less contoured plastic, but what was there was nice. I was in the deluxe version of the Logan, but still it was a quiet diesel that sold for well under under $15,000. The ride was as good as a Prius and the car felt a lot solider on rough roads.

I have also ridden in Dacia Logan MPV taxis in Turkey. They are a stretched 7 passenger diesel wagon version. They were more spartan than the deluxe version in India but still nice cars. Again, solid feeling no rattles. About $15,000 in base trim.

I like what Dacia did to the Logan sedan to make the utilitarian 7 passenger MCV better than what Prius did to make the v (a square back 5 passenger sedan) out of the Gen III.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thing is, you can never be sure if it's for real or not. It reminds me of a kids tv show we had over here in the 1970's called Rainbow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_(TV_series). There were rumours that they got away with all sorts of double entendres such as in the following;

But it turns out this particular episode was an internal tape for the stations Christmas party. Still funny though, and I really don't know how they kept their faces straight, and yes it would have been great if it had been broadcast. It would have been over the kids heads and the parents would have loved it.

1 person likes this.
  9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If something like that leaked out in the US that would be the end of the show forever.

BTW, I saw that Dacia is supposed to go back on the market in the UK in 2012. Their products have improved considerably since Renault and Nissan have have become their masters.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    From the above link:
    My question exactly!

11. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Certainly not up to Joe Isuzu standards...

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I remember Joe Isuzu!

13. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    THIS is a commercial.

[ame="http://en.sevenload.com/videos/jepQssV-Fleg-Master-Tlpizza"]Fleg Master Tlpizza Video - sevenload[/ame]

14. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    In India they are made by Mahindra. They have become the std taxi vehicles. You see them everywhere.

BTW, you can't import any economy cars into Inida - the custom duties will kill it.

Renault gives Indian partnership second chance

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't want to take the time to spell out Mahindra Renault Dacia Logan. What are the differences between the Indian built Logans and the Logans built in the rest of the world?

In Kolcatta taxis are still primarily Hindustans. In many Indian cities the most common taxis are the locally/regionally manufactured 3 wheel heavy duty scooter based taxi.

16. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. I'd never heard of Logans till my recent India visit. But from the look of this story - apparently not much.

Renault Dacia Logan 1.2Ltr Engine Launched | Indian Car and Bike Blog

Yes, Hindustan Motors is based in Kolkata. I can see how the taxis will mostly be HM - esp given that only they can withstand the really bad roads of that city.

The 3-wheel "auto rickshaws" are still my primary means of travel when I visit India. They are cheap and are everywhere. But they aren't allowed near some airports.

BTW, funny thing is (with all the media hypre about how cheap Nanos will flood India) I saw more Reva Electric Cars in Bangalore than Tata Nanos.

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are Nanos showing up in any quantities yet? It's been two years since I was there and that was too early to see any.

18. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't the Dacia one of James May's favorite cars ;-)
    (I think Top Gear used to take the micky out of Dacias on their News section)

19. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Amazing. I have no clue what they are advertising, yet I know exactly what is being advertised.

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's the Dacia Sandero they usually joke about. IIRC, it's supposed to have been available "next year" in the UK for several years now but never shows up. Grumpy can probably shed some light on that.