1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Banner Day for Hybrid Spotting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Nov 17, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I made a short run of errands into Springfield today but had a banner day for sighting other Prii and other Hybrids.

I saw my first Camry Hybrid after merging in directly behind it...almost missed it as the badging is pretty subtle on the back. Nice looking car.

I saw my first or second (I think I'd seen one before a long time ago) FEH pulling into the strip mall parking lot just ahead of me.

I saw at least 3 other 2G Prii. One at the Barnes & Noble that looked like they'd just pulled it off the dealer's lot. Shiny, perfect paint... '06 or '07 Millenium Gray or whatever it's called. I had seen one of these at the dealer and looked it over pretty closely noticing most of the differences b/w the later models and mine, but had not noticed that the black trim on the door edges and around the back triangle windows were not textured instead of smooth as they are on mine. Nice touch I think. Left the last PriusChat 'business card' I had on that car.

Makes me grin seeing how many folks are 'seeing the light' these days.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    can't tell you how many camry hybrids are out here now. i see em all over in traffic.

went to the shop the other day to keep DH company while rebuilding an engine for a buddy of ours and help where i could... walking from my car to the shop door, then from the shop door to his car and back, i saw people test driving 2 hihy's and 3 hycams. can always tell that inverter whine...

3. Suckit Trabeck

Suckit Trabeck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 17 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]351042[/snapback]</div>
    I saw one, HyCam, just the other day when I was running to the store to get my cat, Mr. Biggles, some food. They do look pretty slick.

Are they more peppy than our Prius?

4. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 17 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]351042[/snapback]</div>
    that's a great idea efusco, leaving the PriusChat card! I'd love to get a grip of those to pass out too, tell me more?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    search PriusChat cards under tonypschaefer...if they haven't been lost in the crashes there are some templates.

6. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 17 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]351042[/snapback]</div>
    A couple days ago, we pulled into a strip mall to go to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. Driving directly in front of us were 2 other Hybrids, an older Prius and a Honda Civic, so we were 3 in a row. Was thinking, hybrids are definitely becoming more mainstream.

7. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen almost as many TCHs as regular Camrys! Kinda weird...

I'm starting to see more HiHys... don't think it's a sales boost but more likely they're coming out of hiding haha. My Prius count is down though.

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 17 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]351109[/snapback]</div>
    The post I was able to find LINK the links were dead except mine. Here is my template. PriusChatCardTemplate It has a front and back. I've been using them on ever new Prius I come across. That reminds me i'm running out and i need to print some more.

10. GeronimoPFudgemuffin

Speaking of Prius spottings:

I was tooling up South Carolina State highway 25 yesterday morning, looked in my rearview mirror and there was a white Prius, just like mine. Up the road a little ways, Prius Whitey#2 passed me and I looked over and waved. She waved back. How long has it been since THAT sort of stuff happened on the road? People wave their digital extremities at me all the time, but never while smiling.

SC Hwy 25 is (now) a 4-lane, 55-limit, 45-min road, divided w-median. Anyway, I was only going about 45 mph because I was in "testing" to get some stats on ICE/ON driving (no pulsing). So, the lady in Whitey#2 soon disappeared on up the road.

About 15-minutes later I checked my six (for Hummers & Excursions bearing down at 80+) and, lo and behold! It was yet ANOTHER white Prius. When it switched lanes to pass me, I reached over to wave and... it was the same lady.

Whew! That was close. For a moment there I was afraid there might be THREE white Priuses in the world. And only minutes before I was sure I had the only one. (chortle)

ADDENDUM:
    SC Hwy 25 is a gently-rolling road that connects Greenville, SC (BMW & Michelin) to the Laurens/Greenwood area (Michelin test track, which I have not been invited to... yet). It's common to see what surely must be Michelin test cars roaming this area in packs of 5-to-10 vehicles.

One day I stopped at a traffic light in Moonville and saw 9 Mustang GTs (of differing vintages) pull onto the road heading south. The cars were all different, but all had what appeared to be identical Michelin tires installed. A Twilight Zone moment.

Another time I followed 6 Chevy S10 pickups, all traveling in lock-step, tooling along at 48mph, all with tailgates removed, and all carrying what appeared to be a concrete slab, maybe 1meter x 1meter, and about 100mm thick. Looked like something from a Leni Riefenstahl movie or something. I didn't know whether to wave or salute, so I settled for singing the French National anthem while imitating Maurice Chevalier. I rolled down my window for maximum effect. Anyway, it must've worked because they didn't hurl a single croissant at me.

Well, here it is November again and, being an odd-numbered month, that means it must be time to fill my Prius gas tank again. (62+ for LMPG, but that's small crackers compared to what's being done out there)

GeronimoPFudgemuffin

PS: On a reasonably flat road, it looks like 75mpg @ 45mph is about it for mileage. I don't have a truly flat road to try it on. Maybe I'll take a trip to Kansas... but this time, Toto stays home.
    ~G

11. janiceschafer

janiceschafer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My seven year old son who enjoys counting Priuses and other hybrids - saw 12 Priuses coming from his grandparents house in Hillsville, VA down I-77 to Huntersville, NC (just North of Charlotte) in one day. His record prior to that was 8 (two weeks earlier going from Huntersville to Hillsville). Two months ago we might have seen one or two a week. Yeah!!! :blink: