1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Barack Obama and the Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Cameron, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Cameron

Cameron New Member

Senator Barack Obama mentions the Prius during his energy independence speech sponsored by MoveOn.org

Obama speech

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I sure do like Barack.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 20 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]335635[/snapback]</div>
    What about him impresses you?

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    He lost me when he suggested propping up detroit's big 3.

He then started focusing on E85 and similar renewable fuels, without acknowledging that there's no way the US can produce enough corn for all these cars.

In general, it seems like he is trying to get us moving in the right direction, but the political pressure to support american manufacturing has veered him off course a little.

5. Angelus

Angelus New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 20 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]335635[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't it great to have a cool Senator like him? I voted for him in 2004 and would vote him for president in a heartbeat. Too bad I don't think all the red states are ready for a black president, no matter how cool he is.

6. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

Let's elect this guy for president in 08!

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read an article on him in my undergrad alumni magazine (we went to the same college) and, came away feeling slightly manipulated...but I still can't figure out why.

Not sure if I'm totally against propping up the big three (big two + MBZ/Chrysler?)...since it's their legacy employment costs which are a primary cause of their current difficulties.

I think a bailout would be better than a bankruptcy, followed by all of those pension expenses being shifted to the government (a la United).

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Being in Illinois, I have had the opportunity to see him live as well as on television and radio. I know that it is not always easy to deliver a prepared speech. I know that it is considerably harder to speak off the cuff.

For that reason, when I see someone deliver a prepared speech, I keep in the back of my head that they probably prepared that speech and practiced it for days prior to delivery. Some politicians have one speech that they use every day. Needless to say, by the end of the campaign trail their speech and their delivery is polished and perfect.

However, I choose to judge the wit, wisdom, and demeanor of a person only after listening to them speak off-the-cuff. Especially when someone is firing questions at them (think English Parliament). So back to Barack in person and on tv/radio. In my opinion, as someone who spends a considerable amount of time in front of groups and a club President of Toastmasters International, I enjoy Barack's ability to speak with minor stutters, providing a wide range of vocal variety, establishing and holding eye contact, and speaking with conviction in a way that relates sincerity.

Additionally, I have yet to hear any back stories of draft dodging, substance abuse (inhaling or not), womanizing, page soliciting, or any other myriad of headline-making scandals that seem to plaque a large percent of public figures. Rather, what I've heard and read is that his background is humble, his education thorough, and his work ethic admirable.

So that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    But what if the people living on the government-backed pension bail-out that he has suggested lived in the red states? If it's fair to hate Ken Lay for ruining pensions it should be okay to vote for the person who saves pensions.

I agree that a bail-it is better than bankruptcy. I don't like it and predicted last year that the Big Three would petition for government money based on the knowledge that no government would want to see that many workers displaced. After all, if any one of the Big Three folded their American operations, the direct and indirect affects on people, communities, and entire cities would be crippling.

10. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

If he makes a run for the White House in 08, he has my vote.

11. Wetnabber

Wetnabber New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeri @ Oct 20 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]335916[/snapback]</div>
    In Ugandi, maybe?

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wetnabber @ Oct 22 2006, 07:34 AM) [snapback]336365[/snapback]</div>
    Do you mean Uganda?

Are you saying this because Obama's father was Kenyan?

From first impression, your statement appears to reflect a racist attitude. I hope that I am mistaken about it.

13. Wetnabber

Wetnabber New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 22 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]336477[/snapback]</div>
    no, no, no, I mean Ugandi - you know, India

14. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wetnabber @ Oct 22 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]336534[/snapback]</div>
    Still not sur what you mean - I Googled Ugandi and found that it is somehow related to Estonia and Yugoslavia. Not much information was there.
    Or is this a some type of joke related to Gandhi?

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ohhh now I get it.
    This website explains it clearly: http://www.uganditk.ee/

Damn. I know dry wit but that takes the cake.

16. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What in the hell is wetnabber talking about?

17. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 22 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]336565[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, now I'm confused by Wetnabber and Tony. Of course, Tony's good at that.
    I like Barack as well, he seems to have his head on straight, but he's too new for me to know much about him. I'd probably go for McCain, if I had the choice. The Republicans should've helped him out in 2000 instead of backing Bush, life would be so different now (and better, and our Constution would still be a guiding principle, oh I better stop now).

18. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Oct 22 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]336621[/snapback]</div>
    McCain is to the Republicans as to what Dean is to the Dems -- a bit of an unstable nutjob. I can't see a candidate yet Dem, Repub or other that interests me for '08. Don't know much about Obama but his resume seems pretty thin - but then again, Bush II got in! :lol: Say what you like pro or con about Bush I, but the man did have a resume. To bad siring GWB was part of the resume too though.

19. joe hybrid

joe hybrid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Oct 24 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]337847[/snapback]</div>
    A lil known fact about Barack is he drove away in an SUV from that speech. Somewhat hypocritical. But at least it fooled some he was sincere.

And the crack about red states not voting for a black person was pure prejudiced. This last election was proof of it.

I live in so cal and find there is so much more racism here than I've ever encountered anywhere else in the USA. I see and hear it daily.

I didn't wish to make my first post this way but have no tolerance for people walking lock step and repeating BS. Try being sceptical for a change about what your leaders tell you.
    Green is not a left or right thing, its a help the earth quality type of thing.

I want to get a Prius myself and I'm green but some of you people need to realize you are just being told what you want to hear. I hope I haven't burnt too many bridges.

20. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe hybrid @ Nov 9 2006, 08:16 PM) [snapback]346663[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. We knew that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe hybrid @ Nov 9 2006, 08:16 PM) [snapback]346663[/snapback]</div>
    Umm...who was proof? I think Ford didn't get elected.
    Ever lived in Mississippi or Alabama? Just curious...
    You'll find a healthy dose of skepticism on this board. As far as your points, you must always question your leaders; that doesn't mean that you can't be satisfied with the answers. Concerning Obama, I for one miss having a President with a modicum of thought and intelligence. I'm not sure he's ready, but I know when he walks in a room, he's in the top percentage of intelligent people there. Reminds me of of the last Democratic Prez we had...I just hope this one doesn't have a predilection for interns.

Welcome to PriusChat!