1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Barcelona Red # 4 Ordered 3-4-06 Yakima, WA

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by universe44, Mar 6, 2006.

1. universe44

universe44 New Member

After waiting more than a year, driving my dad's Prius a few times and lurking here a bit, I'm taking the plunge. My Barcelona red Prius is scheduled to hit port this Friday (March 10) and be at the dealer's lot within a week. And that's all the waiting I am doing. (I would try to put the excitement - considerable - into words here, but I think anyone reading this already knows...)

The process couldn't have been easier. I had been checking info here at Prius Chat for some time and had talked to a few dealers. It seems most are at MSRP these days. The dealer closest to home here in Portland, OR, was Ron Tonkin Toyota. They were at MSRP, but as of last Friday they were saying eight weeks, maybe up to 12 weeks, for delivery.

That was doable, but it wasn't what I did. Instead, I called Jason Edlin at Toyota of Yakima (based on a mention by someone here, in fact). Well, it turns out that this dealership has been the Prius fleet dealer for Washington state government, which means they have had very large allocations. After telling Jason exactly what I wanted on Friday, he called back Saturday to say they could swap a car in an upcoming allocation to get what I wanted. On the outside that's 15 days (maybe 12 days) from first call to my car on the lot. He gave me a slight break below MSRP (!), which will offset the cost of my plane ticket for the journey to Yakima.

It's likely now that, on March 18, I'm flying to Yakima to pick up the four-wheeled wonder, then drive it back the 190 miles to Portland (through the beautiful Columbia Gorge). I can't imagine it working any better than this. Pinch me...

I will let you know if the plan plays out....

Date Ordered: 3-4-06
    Dealer Ordered From (Incl. City/State): Toyota of Yakima, WA
    Timeframe given for delivery: 15 days
    Color: Barcelona Red
    Option Package: 4
    Your # on Dealer's Waiting List:

2. Cameron

Cameron New Member

My Barcelona Red #8 is on order and has been since Feb 3rd. I ordered it through an auto broker, paying MSRP. The expected delivery date is the first week of April. Here's to no factory fires, blown-up refineries, sabotaged pipe-lines, another front, etc, etc.. Prius Chat has been very helpful during my research. What a hot car!

3. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings everyone!

I just ordered my Barcelona Red 2006 with package #4 from LaRiche Toyota in Findlay, Ohio two weeks ago. I have been told to expect a late-April or early May delivery. (findlay is about 45 miles south of Toledo on I-75 in Northwest Ohio if you are wondering). I could potentially get another Prius at other NW Ohio dealerships sooner but the service at LaRiche is exceptional. My mother has purchased a Subaru Legacy, Subaru Outback, Toyota T-100 and jut last month a Toyota Highlander from LaRiche over the years (all from the same sales rep too!)

I am VERY eagerly awaiting my new car to arrive... (ive literally been having prius dreams at night... its that bad). Currently I am driving a 2002 VW Beetle. I knew that I was looking to trade it in for a newer car as I drive a lot and wanted to trade in while the Beetle still had some value left on it.

LaRiche has offered $8400 for my car with 61,500 miles on it (yes, I drive a lot back and fourth between Bowling Green-Toledo and Bowling Green-Findlay, with B.G. being halfway between Toledo and Findlay).

While looking for car options I seriously had considered upgrading to a Slasa Red 2006 Beetle, a red 2006 PT Cruiser, or the red 2006 Prius. I had done all the research online that was possible over a period of a month or so. Ultimately, however, the test-drive in the prius won me over as I am taking a significant upgrade in both performance, fuel econonmy, environmental cleanliness, and interior space. No longer will my passengers have to do the "snake move" to get into the back seat! (and i will have cruise control, power windows, rear wiper, 4 doors, full size trunk, and all the cool technological goodies my beetle does not have...

I will update as I get information in... Cheers!

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Welcome to PC! What is this, the Barcelona thread?

If you were considering a PT Cruiser (and you're the only one in two years I can remember saying he or she did), you must have felt strongly to be willing to pay that much more for the Prius. But it was a smart decision, as will be confirmed to you.

Welcome to the antsy and temporarily forlorn bunch known as Prius-waiters! :unsure:

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank You! And yes, I definitely felt good enough about the Prius to pay the extra $$$. Although with all of my financing options, plus trade-in, my final total is just under $17,900, so comparatively speaking, the prius is not that expensive for me... Although I could have gotten a PT cruiser for about 10K with trade-in or a new beetle for about 12-13K, so yes, I am paying more, but I feel that it will be worth it. Besides, I needed another attention getting car, after drving a beetle for 3 1/2 years and all the fun attention that has gotten, going back to a 'normal' car would just take the fun out of driving... although it would be great if everone had a Prius... what a wonderful world that would be!

6. universe44

universe44 New Member

UPDATE: I got the call this morning. My Barcelona red #4 arrived today at the dealer's lot in Yakima, WA, just one short week after I first talked to Jason Edlin, the sales guy at Toyota of Yakima. That's several days earlier than expected. Now, I must suffer through a week knowing my car awaits. I will try not to think about it (yeah, right). I will be on the plane to Yakima on the morning of March 18. Now the real countdown begins...

(Hey, this has become the Barcelona red thread. It's a great color. Hello to all. See you on the road...)

P.S. I didn't choose between a Prius and a PT Cruiser. Didn't have to. My wife drives a PT Cruiser. They make will make a great couple, the Cruiser and Prius...

7. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Congratulations Universe! Now how to survive one more week of anticipation???

8. shandrea

shandrea New Member

Didn't see your post first, but I some how ended up contacting Yakima out of frustration in waiting at Seattle area dealers. I was on the waitlist at the Auburn, WA and Seattle, WA dealers since December. They kept stringing me on and telling me that there have been no black prius' available with package 4 or higher. I think that they have just ignored me figuring that I am easy money and willing to wait.

I emailed Yakima on Wednesday. I received a call back on Thursday. Today, Friday, I called and talked to Jerry Olsen. He told me that they had a red Prius coming in on the 15th, but it didn't have a package. I told him I wanted a black Prius with package 4 or higher. He said they could trade the red one once it comes in for a black one. I told him that I'd be out of town next weekend and that I'd like to get one by this weekend because I graduated from law school two years ago on March 19, which means the $400 college grad rebate expires on the 19th.

He said he could try to trade another car and get me a black one this weekend. I gave him a $1000 credit card deposit to show that I was serious and he called me back three hours later and told me that they would pick the car up tonight and I can pick it up tomorrow. Wow!

Hopefully it's not your car they traded out Universe. :) I didn't even try to negotiate under MSRP. I guess I started on the wrong foot when I asked if they wanted more than MSRP. Oh well, for next day delivery, I'll pay extra.

How have I not heard of this dealership before? I'll let you know how it goes. I may find out how it handles in the snow driving back over the Cascades.

9. shandrea

shandrea New Member

Just picked up my black package 4 prius. It only had six miles on it, but I think someone burned through almost a gallon in those six because it tool a long time to get above a 10mpg average. But once I got it home over the mountains (about 160 miles later), I was up to a 40 mpg average. Not bad for driving 75 most the way over the mountains.

Universe, you can rest assured. They still have your Barcelona Red sitting in the back of the lot far away from other cars so there will be no scratches or dents when you get it. The service was great there. Very quick and easy pick up. The finance guy just told me the price on the warranty and I told him I wasn't interested. He set aside the warranty information and went on. No pressure what so ever.

I'm not sure whether Yakima has more Prius' coming in or not, but they are certainly a good dealership to consider and the wait should not be too long because as of yesterday, there was no waiting list.

10. universe44

universe44 New Member

Glad to hear your process was painless in Yakima. Mine's a straight cash deal and I expect to be in and out there awful fast.

I doubt your deal had anything to do with mine. There's a Barcelona red Prius parked and locked back there with my name on it. They list close to 50 in their inventory (certainly almost all are committed somehow), which is why they can move cars around and find one pretty darn fast (far better than any other dealer I contacted).

I will be stumbling out to the airport for an 8:30 am flight Saturday (passing through SeaTac) on my way to the dealer. I should be in the car and on the road to Portland by 1 p.m. I'm just trying not to think about it. Like that's working. Well, I'm trying not to have too many obsessive thoughts about it. Four days and counting...

11. shandrea

shandrea New Member

They actually do not have as many as advertised. I'm not sure why their inventory lists so many on their website. Your Prius was the only other one on the lot. Jerry Olsen told me that they get about 10-15 a month and that he didn't have any coming in immediately (he already received calls as a result of my post). I assume that many of those go to the state. We just got lucky I guess. I still suggest people calling Yakima, though, because their wait at this point will be shorter than other area dealerships.

By the way, the Auburn dealership through which i 've been on the wait list for three months, just called me to tell me they have a barcelona red package 4 coming in at the end of the month.

Yes if your deal is all cash, it should go very quickly. We paid mostly by check but had to finance at least $5k in order to get the $400 college grad rebate. You might call to make sure they have all the information they need to create the paperwork so you can just sign and go. That's were most of our time was spent.

We're averaging about 47 mpg in our regular driving. Not sure on an overall average exactly because we keep reseting the computer to test what our regular commute's average going different routes and we haven't filled the tank to find out what we're averaging overall (we're at about 400 miles right now with two bars on the gas meter). I can't wait until the summer to see if our average goes above 50.

12. universe44

universe44 New Member

I was pretty sure Toyota of Yakima didn't actually have 50 cars available, but they have had more Pruises run through their inventory, due to the state contract, than some other dealers. They just seem to have more flexibility in finding them sometimes. Like has been said many times at Prius Chat, if you cast a wide enough net it is possible to get what you want and cut time off the wait...

Anyway, I'm just a day away from Prius ownership. By mid-day tomorrow I will be driving south from Yakima, heading home to Portland. Hoping for some sun while I head down the highway and up the Columbia River Gorge. Big task for tonight: selecting just the right CDs for the soundtrack to the maiden voyage...

P.S. My dad bought his Prius almost a year ago and is average right at 50 mpg. Of course, my parents are snowbirds and spend the winter in sunny Yuma where the warm temps are sure to help their mileage considerably...

13. universe44

universe44 New Member

The deal went down on Saturday, and it couldn't have been easier. My flight arrived on time in Yakima. Jason from Toyota of Yakima was waiting there and off we went. After a quick test drive down the street, we went inside to complete the transaction. There was no attempt to sell me anything else (I had warned in advance that I didn't want any surprises), just the agreed price plus a license fee and doc fee ($30).

Then I was on my way back home with my new Prius. It was a wonderful drive through part of Washington, down through the Columbia River Gorge to Portland. After a few errands on Sunday, my wonder car is averaging 45.7 mpg with 217 miles on it. Not bad with just a few in-town miles and the trip from Yakima that crossed a 3,100-foot pass...

I've attached a photo with the Columbia in the background. I'm a Prius owner at last!!! Thanks to info and input from folks here it was a very positive experience with minimal hassle or waiting. Thanks all...

(If you are anywhere within reasonable distance of Yakima, WA, try out Bud Clary Toyota of Yakima. Give Jason Edlin a call and let him know that Glenn from Portland sent you. They do treat folks right there...)

Attached Files:

14. Cameron

Cameron New Member

I might give them a call if my broker doesn't deliver....Congratulations!

15. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

To those of you who have received the "barcelona red" cars already...

Can you compare the shade of red to any other well known shade of red that is not subjective?

I'm nervous, because I ordered that color (due in about 3 months) without seeing it in person, and I fear it may be too dark red or too burgundy-ish for me to like it...

The pics you guys upload are great, but I can adjust my monitor in such a way that they either look like a great shade of red or a horrible one.

Help set my mind at ease!!! :-\

-Vikki

16. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Go to your local dealership and ask to look at another vehicle in "barcelona red" as we did on a Rav4. It was the only color my wife wanted after we saw it in person. Closest to the red candied apples at the mall! When the sun shines on it you can see the metal flake. Fantastic!

17. universe44

universe44 New Member

Rest easy. It's a great color. It's definitely not burgundy. The metallic flakes sparkle in strong sunlight, which makes some photos look different than others. But it is truly red, close to candy apple red (though maybe a notch warmer). Everyone who has seen my car thinks it's very cool, mostly because of the color (with minimal interest in the technology!). This is the Prius color that turns heads. Enjoy...

(And, yes, go see a 2006 RAV4 in the same color, but I think Barcelona red looks much better on the Prius. Not that I'm biased or anything...)

18. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(universe44 @ Mar 28 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]231421[/snapback]</div>

I cannot wait for my barcelona baby to arrive...! Rest assured I will be taking hundreds upon hundreds of pictures when I get it... I have spent the last 4 weeks trying to find good prius pics and have yet to find many online that suit my tastes... I will get good ones, i'll have to go to Lake Erie and have my car do some modeling... :D :D :D :D

19. Frithweaver

Frithweaver New Member

Tonight we join the Barcelona Red #4 club in Atlanta, GA. Wohoo!

20. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

Tonight we join the Barcelona Red #4 club in Atlanta, GA. Wohoo!

I know you'll love it!! It is even better than I had expected.
    So far we have the only Barcelona red (also 4) down here in Columbus, GA, but the dealer had two separate deposits made after folks saw ours on the lot this last Friday