1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Barcelona Red #8 11/18/2005 Countryside/IL

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by xraynano, Jan 6, 2006.

1. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Date Ordered: 11/18/2005
    Dealer Ordered From (Incl. City/State): Countryside Toyota (Countryside, IL)
    Timeframe given for delivery: First 2 weeks in January
    Color: Barcelona Red
    Option Package: 8
    Your # on Dealer's Waiting List: No waiting list, wrote up car order and was told the car would be ordered to our specification.

MSRP with $500 deposit.

December 27: dealer called with VIN and said car is shipping
    January 2: dealer called to say car should arrive 10-20 days after shipping
    Today: dealer called and said car arrived
    Tomorrow: we will visit dealer to see car and start paperwork
    Monday: car is supposed to be ready for pickup

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Congrats! See if you can grab the manual to read over the weekend. Is it warm enough in IL to pitch a tent next to the dealer Sun.? Probably not. :(

3. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, today we called the dealer and he said the car was ready for pickup. We went to the dealer and a Barcelona #8 was there, but in beige leather, not the gray we ordered. Our salesman apologized for the "mistake", went to the manager, who said we could get a Barcelona #8 with gray leather in ten days, with a VIN identified and port arrival date of January 8. We made no fuss, thanked them, and said to call us when the car was ready.

Clearly, if this was the car "ordered" for me, the one we expect to get later was not. I think this makes clear the "special order" situation is just the dealer's planned best effort to nab the requested car at high priority. I suspect the beige leather was the first Barcelona 8 they could get ahold of, and they reserved it for me. I would rather they were up front about the process. But if we end up getting the car we want in January because they are making the effort by whatever means, I won't hold it against them.

We shall see...

4. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One week later, no word yet...

5. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Two weeks later, still no word...

I think I'll call the dealer Monday, and if they don't have a delivery date, I will ask for my deposit back and start working with some other dealers.

6. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Called another dealer in the next state. They offered to find a Prius for me for 4% over dealer invoice, to my specification, and would refund deposit if they couldn't find it within 8 weeks. This is the first below-MSRP offer I found nearby. Meanwhile, I called the dealer we placed the original order with and asked for an update. They told me the car we ordered will arrive this week, and they gave me a new VIN. Our agreed upon price was MSRP, and I have a deposit with the caveat that it can be refunded if I am unhappy with the price (signed contract before MSRP was formally established). If it arrives this week and it is NOT what I ordered, I definitely will ask for my deposit back and place the order with another dealer, since it will save about $1500. If it is what I exactly what I ordered, is it unreasonable for me to try to negotiate price now?

7. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Got the call today saying I could pick up the car tonight. Stopped by on the way home to start the paperwork, and saw the car. Great color! So, I won't be able to take advantage of the 4% over dealer invoice from the other dealer. Anyone in the Chicago/Gary/Indianapolis area may want to get in touch with Milo at Team Toyota and see if he will give you the same deal. Don't have any knowledge of the quality of follow through, but if you order, post in this forum!

8. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just got back. Paid MSRP, as originally agreed. No pressure, through the paperwork and basic features of the car in one hour. I declined all extras; offered to take the warranty at $950, they offered a few hundred off to no avail. Car was delivered with ONE mile on the odometer. Now it has 7 miles and is sitting in the driveway. Time to RTFM...

9. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like it, I like it. By the way, the Barcelona #8 with Bisque leather that was mistakenly allocated to me earlier is sitting in the showroom of Countryside Toyota, if anyone is looking for one in Chicagoland.

10. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They snail-mailed me the pre-delivery checklist, as I requested. None of the final clean-up items were checked (removing protective plastic, etc.). In fact, alot of the protective plastic was left in place, as well as couple of other unattended items. I have left them, and I plan to stop back at the dealer to let them finish when I go to pick up my touch-up paint kit (they called to say it had arrived).