1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Barenaked Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Barenaked Prius: Group's lead singer believes everyone should take responsibility for the pollution they create, so he drives an environmentally friendly hybrid

Steven Page of the Barenaked Ladies has seen the future and it ain't sweet, even though it involves sugar: "We'll need the last gallon of gasoline so we can go buy the last Krispy Kreme doughnut."

It could be a line from one of his band's songs. In fact, Page has been quoted as saying he loves the doughnuts, but he hopes that grim scenario never comes to pass.

"Sitting in traffic in the city, you see the amount of fumes and smell the emissions. How responsible am I for that?" Page asks. "We have to do something to change our over-consumption of fossil fuels.

"At least (we have to) take some responsibility for it. If we are not going to stop driving, then we are going to have to drive more responsibly."

He has taken up the ecology struggle by driving a 2004 Toyota Prius, a gasoline-electric hybrid.

"It's a mid-sized car and has about the same interior room as a Toyota Camry," he said. "I used to drive a Camry and I always liked it. This doesn't have a huge trunk, but it's fine. You can put some stuff in it and everybody likes riding in it."

Read entire article by clicking this link.

2. Marg

Marg New Member

Did you see the following quote from the article?

"He has noticed the Prius loses some of its fuel efficiency in winter. 'It works best with the warm weather. When it's zero degrees outside, it changes its fuel efficiency. Still, in the winter it's somewhere around eight litres per 100 kilometres as opposed to 5 L/100 km in the summer. One of the appealing things is it does not idle in traffic - it shuts down.'"

5L per 100 km is about 47 miles per US gallon. 8L per 100 km is about 29 miles per US gallon.

Do you folks think this is a huge change? I do not know, to me it doesn't seem normal. As far as I can tell, John 1701a out there in cold Minnesota has never gone below 38 miles per gallon. Minnesota and southern Ontario are not all that different. What's up with our Barenaked dude's car?

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe traffic is keeping his car from warming up.. or maybe he's driving it like a normal car. there are a number of factors that could come into play.